closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TOTALLY RUBBISH films you've watched recently...

Hybrid View

I watched Quadrophenia last night as I'd never seen it.

Aside from spotting famous British TV actors, it was dire and I have to say it's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

A horrible vanity exercise for The Who...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Roadhouse. Two hours of unadulterated tosh and drivel. Just awful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Roadhouse. Two hours of unadulterated tosh and drivel. Just awful.
    Absolutely awful, then McGregor appears and I switched off

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've seen so many parody videos at this point, I simply have to watch it! Strutting about bow-legged like popeye the sailor man

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Strutting about bow-legged like popeye the sailor man on crack
    FTFY

Quote Originally Posted by dek10000 View Post
    Ewan or Conor?

Thumbs up

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire

Just terrible, two hours of my life I’m not gonna get back. Avoid at all costs

The OH insisted we watch Top Gun Maverick, bloody awful! So much testosterone I think I’ve grown another testicle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    The OH insisted we watch Top Gun Maverick, bloody awful! So much testosterone I think I’ve grown another testicle!
    I really liked Mav and actually thought Cruise underplayed his role quite a bit, he was alot more animated in the first one. Rooster and the now big Rom Com guy were the bigger flashier characters.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Ghostbusters Frozen Empire

Just terrible, two hours of my life I’m not gonna get back. Avoid at all costs
    Yep, total garbage. Wish I could get a refund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

Aside from spotting famous British TV actors, it was dire and I have to say it's 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

M
    If you are a mod or Who fan it's still a pretty decent watch but it is 45 years old now and hasn't aged that well IMO.

Rotten Tomatoes collected reviews from 14 critics and gave Quadrophenia a 100% rating.
    The New York Times placed the film on its Best 1000 Movies Ever list.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

M

If you had watched it back in the 70's you would not be saying that. The music is a master piece. A film for the well over 50's.

Master

M
    if you are of a certain age and background it has a lot of relevance and was of its time.

Watching it 45 years later without that frame of reference probably doesn't do the film justice

Master
    Apocalypse now.
    A really awful film which reached its Nadir with Marlon Bramdo mumbling in the dark

We started watching Ricky Stanicky but turned it off after about 45 minutes, as bad a film as I've seen in a long time.

Didn't realise Jeff Bezos bought MGM as there's been a couple of Amazon/MGM productions lately (the updated Roadhouse being another). Doesn't bode well if this is the quality they are turning out.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    We started watching Ricky Stanicky but turned it off after about 45 minutes, as bad a film as I've seen in a long time.

Didn't realise Jeff Bezos bought MGM as there's been a couple of Amazon/MGM productions lately (the updated Roadhouse being another). Doesn't bode well if this is the quality they are turning out.
    You did well I managed 4.5 minutes truly dreadful

I seem to recall in the good old days they had 'Test Screenings' which would have counted walk out rate at 75% + obviously not anymore

Watched the latest Kong vs Godzilla film last night. It's not going to be winning any Oscars.

Master
    Watched Babylon last night. I am half way thru and its a fairly fun but silly ride with very little plot. I'll carry on and watch it all tonight but think the poor reviews are accurate, Margot at least is good in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post

It was tacky, but just what we needed as we’re too tired to concentrate on anything decent.

Some good belly laughs especially the air d*cking as have been in presentations where people have done it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U3l_rUpRcqY

Quote Originally Posted by RD200 View Post
    Apocalypse now.
    A really awful film which reached its Nadir with Marlon Bramdo mumbling in the dark
    One of the greatest films of all time. The ending was butchered against FFC’ will several times and did make that part challenging but the director’s cut released a few years later made it what it should always have been.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by westberks View Post
    if you are of a certain age and background it has a lot of relevance and was of its time.

Watching it 45 years later without that frame of reference probably doesn't do the film justice
    Well, I'm certainly of that age (a teenager when it was released) and it was always a film that somehow passed me by, which is why I made a point of watching it.

Having watched it, I can't help thinking that it must be a very niche frame of reference.

The Who were old hat in 1979, I do remember a bit of a Mod revival (The Jam, of course, The Lambrettas, lots kids in Parkas with roundels on the back), but even so, the film is a mess.

The only bit that appeared, very briefly, to hang together, was the trouble in Brighton.

It's probably a film that will have good memories for some, but it's not stood the test of time.

I stick by my comments.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 4th April 2024 at 09:23.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Well, I'm certainly of that age (a teenager when it was released) and it was always a film that somehow passed me by, which is why I made a point of watching it.

Having watched it, I can't help thinking that it must be a very niche frame of reference.

The Who were old hat in 1979, I do remember a bit of a Mod revival (The Jam, of course, The Lambrettas, lots kids in Parkas with roundels on the back), but even so, the film is a mess.

The only bit that appeared, very briefly, to hang together, was the trouble in Brighton.

It's probably a film that will have good memories for some, but it's not stood the test of time.

I stick by my comments.

M
    all fair points; I've not watched it for over 40 years.

Probably felt a lot cooler to a 13 year old in the midst of the mod revival and was more likely the target audience at the time; which was probably more my point but worded badly. I don't think i'd consider re-watching it now though; probably class it in the same category as Grease which was of a similar vintage and equally poor viewing now :)

Master
    Echoing the previous comments about Road House. As Nan would say "what a load of shit" Maybe if they had called it something else like 'Big Trouble in Key West' instead of trying to claim it was a remake........No, still would have been awful

When I reviewed Road House as 'OK', I forgot to ask WTH Jake Gylenhall was doing in it. I was building the opinion that if he was in a film, it was generally good.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    When I reviewed Road House as 'OK', I forgot to ask WTH Jake Gylenhall was doing in it. I was building the opinion that if he was in a film, it was generally good.
    You've obviously not seen Prince of Persia Sands of time then !