closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BTL question

Hybrid View

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If only you could get a 5% steady risk free return. Hmmmm.
    Cash is THE biggest risk, guaranteed to reduce your wealth in the long term ...

BTL question

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Cash is THE biggest risk, guaranteed to reduce your wealth in the long term ...
    If you have had a good run at BTL and made some serious capital gains, there has to be a point when you cash in, reinvest for a simpler life, max your pension contributions and go out clicking your heals and smiling on the way out.

I get the impression from numerous responses that no one really enjoys owning a BTL, but somehow inertia keeps them going. I don’t get a sense of investment excitement or buzz, just a ball ache of responsibility, risk and worry.

If you have had a good run at BTL and made some serious capital gains, there has to be a point when you cash in, reinvest for a simpler life, max your pension contributions and go out clicking your heals and smiling on the way out.

I get the impression from numerous responses that no one really enjoys owning a BTL, but somehow inertia keeps them going. I don’t get a sense of investment excitement or buzz, just a ball ache of responsibility, risk and worry.
    Hmmm I'd probably beg to differ fwiw but our set ups' possibly an outlier at this point...and as I wrote this morning the aim is to streamline/ simplify before decades end. We did have a bit of fun with part owning a light industrial building in Philly, invested about 25k english, got around 10 percent a year from the rental for about 8 years. Then we sold it, walked away with about 70k english net, which certainly gave me a pleasant feeling.

Out of curiosity from what investments have you derived excitement/ buzz...not an ISA, Sipp or employee pension surely...
    Last edited by Passenger; 25th March 2024 at 18:37.

Master
    BtL is not the golden goose it was, we have 9 and planning the exit

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    BtL is not the golden goose it was, we have 9 and planning the exit
    You can say that again.

My now deceased FIL only had one BTL. Bought it in Winchester for £50k cash in 1993 and cashed his chips in for £230k 15 years later. Early gross yield were massive as well.

Master
    Blog Entries

Exit isn’t easy but at some point tax has to be paid. I don’t think any investment has ever given me a buzz …

BTL don’t add up at present in my area and I’m not interested in buying in an area I don’t know.