closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Garden Allotments

Hybrid View

Master
    Personally I think there are better uses for the land. In cities land and open space is scarce, and more people could benefit from the space if they were converted to parks rather than the current situation where only a tiny proportion of the population get to utilise the space.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

rented an allotment from the local council for a few years (costs peanuts per yr ) - what was the big eye opener was the 'politics' from other allotment members (it was basically run like a cartel)

..those couple of yrs i saw punch ups, ppls plants mysteriously pulled up , all day drinking sessions and arguing between members on a weekly basis.
    Last edited by pugster; 26th March 2024 at 16:55.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Personally I think there are better uses for the land. In cities land and open space is scarce, and more people could benefit from the space if they were converted to parks rather than the current situation where only a tiny proportion of the population get to utilise the space.

Surely it's a different section of the population that use each of the spaces. Why should one give up their space for the other? Can't we live and let live?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman

Allotments are generally owned by local councils, and they are under a lot of financial pressure; they get some income from allotment rents, whereas parks are generally a cost, especially to create one from scratch. Councils are also under pressure to sell their allotments to housing developers.

So, you won’t see allotments being replaced by parks, but rather by more high density housing. And the people who will live in these houses will have even less open space, because it was used to build their homes. Just like a park, allotments are for the benefit of the local community - anyone in the community can apply to rent one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post

So, you won’t see allotments being replaced by parks, but rather by more high density housing. And the people who will live in these houses will have even less open space, because it was used to build their homes. Just like a park, allotments are for the benefit of the local community - anyone in the community can apply to rent one.
    Being able to apply for an allotment isn't a great benefit TBF. In my area there's a waiting list (and I thought this was the norm).

Master
    Hopefully allotments can remain as open space as opposed to housing. It must be a pain to have to constantly lug all your materials back and forth though. I do like watching the garden videos on youtube so far and I like Eli & Kate they are based in Scotland.
    There is one Rob's Allotment he wears what appears to be a Rolex on one wrist and an Apple watch on the other wonder if he is a member here. Learned what we call Zucchini you call Gourgette. I will have to take some pictures of my garden and post up here.

Quote Originally Posted by jk103 View Post
    Hopefully allotments can remain as open space as opposed to housing. It must be a pain to have to constantly lug all your materials back and forth though. I do like watching the garden videos on youtube so far and I like Eli & Kate they are based in Scotland.
    There is one Rob's Allotment he wears what appears to be a Rolex on one wrist and an Apple watch on the other wonder if he is a member here. Learned what we call Zucchini you call Gourgette. I will have to take some pictures of my garden and post up here.
    Sometimes allotment owners have a shed for tools and such on their plots...though where I'm from in Lincolnshire they do get targeted by thieves.

Yup you say zucchini, we say courgette. Eggplant and aubergine another.
    Last edited by Passenger; 28th March 2024 at 21:57.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Allotments are generally owned by local councils, and they are under a lot of financial pressure; they get some income from allotment rents, whereas parks are generally a cost, especially to create one from scratch. Councils are also under pressure to sell their allotments to housing developers.

But what proportion of the local population actually gets to benefit from allotments? Maybe 1%? Whereas something like a small green space or park can be used by anyone, anytime and not exclusively but a tiny fraction of the population

Blog Entries
    But what proportion of the local population actually gets to benefit from allotments? Maybe 1%? Whereas something like a small green space or park can be used by anyone, anytime and not exclusively but a tiny fraction of the population

Same answer.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Surely it's a different section of the population that use each of the spaces. Why should one give up their space for the other? Can't we live and let live?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.