closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Considering buying a Saab 9-3 convertible.

Hybrid View

Hi

I had the older model of 9-3 convertible, a 2003, the last year before the newer model, bought in 2013 as a bit of fun for a year or 2, ended up being my daily driver for 6 years until 2019, had no issue finding parts in that time, mainly neobros

Mine was kept outside all year round, treated it to renovo soft top cleaner and reseal once a year. The one year i forgot, i started to get a bit of green appearing round the back window, but a few applications of milton and a little scrub and it soon disappeared

The bulkhead I know was an issue with my generation, not sure on the newer, but the tell tale sign was to watch the pedals as you turn the wheel from lock to lock, any pedal movement and you likely had a split bulkhead.

The other issue with the older generation, again not sure if it affected the newer, was the PCV system, took them a few goes to the the piping right, that combined with possible use of the wrong oil led to some cars getting blocked oil strainers in the sump, which was an engine killer. Fix was to fit a PCV upgrade kit (from neobros) of a new filler neck and piping, then drop the sump to check for sludge and clean out if necessary (mine was luckily squeaky clean

Engine wise, my gen had 2 power levels (other than the Aero), both the same 2.0 engine, injectors and turbo, just a different tuning map, there was the 150hp 2.0 LPT (low pressure turbo) and the 180hp 2.0 FPT (full pressure turbo), then there was the Aero with about 230hp i think, same engine again, but bigger turbo and maybe injectors. I believe the newer gen is the same, just different names, LPT=1.8t (it's still a 2L engine) then FPT is the 2.0t. You can easily remap a LPT/1.8t up to 220HP with no other changes, noobtune is your man for that for £100. Allegedly a 220hp LPT could beat an Aero off the line, due to it's smaller turbo spooling up quicker. with an Aero only catching up and passing at 50mph or so. With bigger injectors, turbos and exhausts etc, there's people happily running these engines at nearly 300hp with no issues, though probably wouldn't go that far with a convertible as it gets a bit wobbly, though there's fixes for that with subframe braces and beefed up anti roll bars if you really wanted to

Master
    ^^

+1 on SaabNoob; Karl was the chap who tuned my Aero.