closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Red traffic light jumpers.

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by grandconjuration View Post
    This is an eye opening thread. In over 30 years of driving I never realised that a hierarchy of road users exists based how someone perceives the importance of their journey relative to others.

From 2007 to 2016, no pedestrians were killed by red light jumping cyclists, while 50 pedestrians were killed by red light jumping motorists.

From 2012 to 2020, one of the 32 pedestrians killed by someone jumping a red light was hit by a cyclist. The other 31 were killed by a motorist.

While red light jumping cyclist may be an irritation, it appears that the vast majority of harm is caused by motorists progressing through a red light. Yet, as we see here, column inches and comments threads seem to be dominated by those who use cyclists as a distraction to move attention away from the real problem.
    Theres approx 42 million cars on our roads V 7 million bikes, whats the total number of journeys a year made by both? I mean who would have thought that a car weighing upwards of 2 tonnes and capable of speeds exceeding 100 miles an hour would be responsible for more fatalities of pedestrians? My mind is blown.
    Clearly we need to ignore the fact that a huge amount of cyclists ignore red lights…problem solved right there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Theres approx 42 million cars on our roads V 7 million bikes, whats the total number of journeys a year made by both? I mean who would have thought that a car weighing upwards of 2 tonnes and capable of speeds exceeding 100 miles an hour would be responsible for more fatalities of pedestrians? My mind is blown.
    Clearly we need to ignore the fact that a huge amount of cyclists ignore red lights…problem solved right there.
    So now you're making light of the deaths, lets hope someone close to you doesn't become a statistic.

Only one person on this thread has suggested we should give cyclists a pass on breaking the law (ook), whether ignoring red lights or riding on the pavement, all road users should be held to the same standards.
    Last edited by cbh; 15th April 2024 at 01:07.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    So now you're making light of the deaths, lets hope someone close to you doesn't become a statistic.

Only one person on this thread has suggested we should give cyclists a pass on breaking the law (ook), whether ignoring red lights or riding on the pavement, all road users should be held to the same standards.
    Yes, yes, thats exactly what i was doing…making light of deaths 🙄

Yes, cars weigh upwards of 2 tonnes and are capable of speeds exceeding 100 mph. There’s no surprise that they’re involved in 99% of pedestrian deaths due to red light jumping.

Yet, a thread about red light jumping becomes 99% about cyclists. Very strange.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes, cars weigh upwards of 2 tonnes and are capable of speeds exceeding 100 mph. There’s no surprise that they’re involved in 99% of pedestrian deaths due to red light jumping.

Not strange at all ... its because some people on this forum have an issue with cyclists ... these threads are not new and the same old debate goes through the mill and guess what the same old faces pop up again and again and guess what they don't hold any prejudice of hatred of people who ride bikes.

Here are some highlights ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Cyclists/page8

... cyclist make up the largest proportion of the biggest bellends In the main made of up nearly 30 years of anecdotal experience
    ... even on topics which are nothing to do with cyclists or road safety these comments crop up ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...erstand/page12

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Cyclists who dress up in lycra, to go out in groups and slow down traffic by taking up as much of the road as possible. There's obviously a points system involved for the amount of cars you hold up but I haven't worked out how they tally it up yet. I'm also guessing they ride too fast for some in the group because if you're in front of them and slow them down a bit they always wave and shout their appreciation.
    From the person who breaks the law in his bike and doesn't give a toss ...

More here ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ling-Etiquette

There is plenty more for anyone who cares to look ...

Blog Entries
    Not worth it.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Not strange at all ... its because some people on this forum have an issue with cyclists ... these threads are not new and the same old debate goes through the mill and guess what the same old faces pop up again and again and guess what they don't hold any prejudice of hatred of people who ride bikes.

Here are some highlights ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...Cyclists/page8

... even on topics which are nothing to do with cyclists or road safety these comments crop up ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...erstand/page12

From the person who breaks the law in his bike and doesn't give a toss ...

More here ...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ling-Etiquette

There is plenty more for anyone who cares to look ...
    Yeh I said that and so what?
    I’ve made no attempt to hide the fact I dislike cyclist, seeing as you’re quoting me I also said this….

One of my basic gripes about cyclist is that they do certain things just because they can.<br />
    We were taking my sons girlfriend back home a few weekends ago with the wife when 2 cyclists were going in the opposite direction along a very busy road side by side. <br />
    When I passed them they were taking up most of the carriageway.<br />
    I dropped off my boys girlfriend which is about 5 miles up the road and by the time I had turned around and caught back up with them they were still in exactly the same position i.e. Side by side taking up most of the carriageway.<br />
    We were caught behind them I would say for over a mile and eventually they turned off and went the other way.<br />
    They were complete happy without a care in the world chatting away taking up the whole carriageway holding up countless cars.<br />
    Whilst I'm sure the law is completely on their side I would in the situation have pulled in behind my mate and made it easier for others to pass,<br />
    It's this kind of attitude that p***es me off about cyclist

You see my experiences with cyclists is why I dislike them. Despite what you think it’s not based out of hatred or prejudice. I’ve said this before but clearly you don’t understand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve made no attempt to hide the fact I dislike cyclist, seeing as you’re quoting me I also said this….

One of my basic gripes about cyclist is that they do certain things just because they can.<br />
    We were taking my sons girlfriend back home a few weekends ago with the wife when 2 cyclists were going in the opposite direction along a very busy road side by side. <br />
    I dropped off my boys girlfriend which is about 5 miles up the road and by the time I had turned around and caught back up with them they were still in exactly the same position i.e. Side by side taking up most of the carriageway.<br />
    We were caught behind them I would say for over a mile and eventually they turned off and went the other way.<br />
    They were complete happy without a care in the world chatting away taking up the whole carriageway holding up countless cars.<br />
    Whilst I'm sure the law is completely on their side I would in the situation have pulled in behind my mate and made it easier for others to pass,<br />

You see my experiences with cyclists is why I dislike them. Despite what you think it’s not based out of hatred or prejudice. I’ve said this before but clearly you don’t understand

I could recount many tales about motorists or dog walkers, or something else, that have created less ideal situations for me but that doesn't lead me to dislike motorists or dog walkers ... it just leads me to conclude that some people are selfish and/or unaware of how their actions may impact/annoy others ... do you see the difference in our approach?

You, by your own admission do not like cyclists because of the experience you have had with the cyclists you have encountered which is a tiny percentage of all cyclists. That is the very definition of prejudice.

Prejudice[1] can be an affective feeling towards a person based on their perceived group membership.[2] The word is often used to refer to a preconceived (usually unfavourable) evaluation or classification of another person based on that person's perceived personal characteristics, such as political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, beliefs, values, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, culture, complexion, beauty, height, body weight, occupation, wealth, education, criminality, sport-team affiliation, music tastes or other perceived characteristics.[3]
    Last edited by Montello; 15th April 2024 at 13:34. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I could recount many tales about motorists or dog walkers, or something else, that have created less ideal situations for me but that doesn't lead me to dislike motorists or dog walkers ... it just leads me to conclude that some people are selfish and/or unaware of how their actions may impact/annoy others ... do you see the difference in our approach?

You, by your own admission do not like cyclists because of the experience you have had with the cyclists you have encountered which is a tiny percentage of all cyclists. That is the very definition of prejudice.

Prejudice[1] can be an affective feeling towards a person based on their perceived group membership.[2] The word is often used to refer to a preconceived (usually unfavourable) evaluation or classification of another person based on that person's perceived personal characteristics, such as political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity, beliefs, values, social class, age, disability, religion, sexuality, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, culture, complexion, beauty, height, body weight, occupation, wealth, education, criminality, sport-team affiliation, music tastes or other perceived characteristics.[3]
    Seriously …. Seek help

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seriously …. Seek help
    I think its you that needs help with your prejudice ...

Sending thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

It sounds like you were delayed far less time than it took to write out your moan, which has zero relevance to the original post.

These are strange days...as the world overheats and obesity an epidemic in the west, the true enemies are finally revealed, cyclists enjoying themselves! GRRRRRR