closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: San Martin vs Rolex

Hybrid View

The big 'problem' with all of these replicas, imo, is the weight. Same goes for Steinhart models. From what I can tell, they all tend to be at least 25 gms heavier than the Rolex model they're imitating. I've no idea where the added weight comes from, but that alone puts me off ever wanting to own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The big 'problem' with all of these replicas, imo, is the weight. Same goes for Steinhart models. From what I can tell, they all tend to be at least 25 gms heavier than the Rolex model they're imitating. I've no idea where the added weight comes from, but that alone puts me off ever wanting to own one.
    It's 25 grams of extra quality ;-)

I think these are great watches personally, and great as a 'try before you buy' before you shell out 10k on something they are copying. My main objection is the side-profie, and the thickness - they are always a bit slab-sided and usually a bit thicker than other watches as the NH35 they are all built around is quite a thick movement.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by barneygumble View Post
    It's 25 grams of extra quality ;-)

I think these are great watches personally, and great as a 'try before you buy' before you shell out 10k on something they are copying. My main objection is the side-profie, and the thickness - they are always a bit slab-sided and usually a bit thicker than other watches as the NH35 they are all built around is quite a thick movement.
    The 4R family movements have a height of 5.3mm, Rolex calibers have a reputation for being sturdy and also quite thick, the 3100 movements had a height of 6mm, compared to say a ETA 2824 with 4.6mm or a 2892 with 3.6mm they are both chunky.

The SM's are always readily available to buy, to anyone, any time, no lists, AD rituals or courtship dance required.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    The SM's are always readily available to buy, to anyone, any time, no lists, AD rituals or courtship dance required.
    But you could get even cheaper available fakes from the looky looky men

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    On the rare occasions we´ve strayed into a looky looky zone I just politely verbally wave them off, just not worth it whatever their wares du jour, for cometh one, come all looky looky men thereabouts...I once made the mistake of a lunchtime giving some money to a particularly annoying accordion player whilst enjoying a lunch on the gulf of Mazarron to encourage him to drift on, I kid you not that very evening he found me again in Cartagena, how I did have to laugh...TWICE in the same day

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    On the rare occasions we´ve strayed into a looky looky zone I just politely verbally wave them off, just not worth it whatever their wares du jour, for cometh one, come all looky looky men thereabouts...I once made the mistake of a lunchtime giving some money to a particularly annoying accordion player whilst enjoying a lunch on the gulf of Mazarron to encourage him to drift on, I kid you not that very evening he found me again in Cartagena, how I did have to laugh...TWICE in the same day
    In puerto banus, Duquesa and Estopona they are everywhere at the moment, African Mafia

In puerto banus, Duquesa and Estopona they are everywhere at the moment, African Mafia
    They go like flies to where the money, low hanging fruit is perceived to be I guess, well you would, like in any business...Thankful they´ve not been as numerous round hereabouts, really not too persistent in all honesty, guess being a 2nd, 3rd tier kinda region´s has it´s advantages, mind you as noted we generally avoid the tourist, LL zones like the plague anyway, especially in the Summer, too crowded.

Nah, you're better off buying the genuine fakes rather than the cheap ones from the looky looky man, got to be much better quality....

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

If San Martins are so good, why was that guy on SC trying to offload 200 of the buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    If San Martins are so good, why was that guy on SC trying to offload 200 of the buggers.
    Yep, time to open a fresh can...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'd never thought of that, but their target market is people who will most likely never know what the real ones feel like on their wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    I'd never thought of that, but their target market is people who will most likely never know what the real ones feel like on their wrist.
    Nor will they likely care.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

SM do have a few of their own designs, a GMT year of the dragon recently sold out (so yes they do have wait lists you need to sign up for the next batch). They have another one coming out soon.