closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    BBC web site
    Tues > Friday
    Usually starts 9-10 ish am

https://www.postofficehorizoninquiry...nd-6-timetable
    Thank you, will enjoy it in the background when working.

May be taking more attention than it should though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Thank you, will enjoy it in the background when working.

May be taking more attention than it should though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yep, it's very engrossing!

I have been following it.

Taking a step back, it seems very clear to me that none of these senior PO leaders have any real defence.

They were all fully aware that there were many prosecutions going on. They were also aware on some level that there were some question marks over the Horizon system.

They should have needed nothing more than that to call a halt to the prosecutions and instigate a full independent review.

These people had the power to stop these prosecutions going forward- instantly. But they didn’t. None of them stood up and said “stop!”.

That is utterly unforgivable and why they need to be held to account and prosecuted themselves. It is about justice and the public interest, and sending a very clear message to other organisations that might be tempted to abuse their powers and destroy lives.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    I have been following it.

Taking a step back, it seems very clear to me that none of these senior PO leaders have any real defence.

They were all fully aware that there were many prosecutions going on. They were also aware on some level that there were some question marks over the Horizon system.

They should have needed nothing more than that to call a halt to the prosecutions and instigate a full independent review.

These people had the power to stop these prosecutions going forward- instantly. But they didn’t. None of them stood up and said “stop!”.

That is utterly unforgivable and why they need to be held to account and prosecuted themselves. It is about justice and the public interest, and sending a very clear message to other organisations that might be tempted to abuse their powers and destroy lives.
    The lot of them are culpable, including all the legal team and contracted lawyers.

And - don't start me on John Scott, head of security at PO. Tried to hide that he had been in the police and a detective at one stage. Can't remember anything and the best he can do is "I would have .............." Not describing his actions, just what he was meant to do - while making it 'sound' like he did.

By his own testimony -he doesn't appear to have done the thick end of fuck-all in his years in the PO in that top position.

I hope he is prosecuted successfully along with the rest of them.

Master
    This is sickening. 2013!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnd69r7rz11o

"Mr Jenkins was later to give evidence in a number of cases, where he testified to the robustness of the Horizon system – evidence which was seen as crucial in winning those cases.However, by 2013 concerns had been raised about his evidence. Barrister Simon Clarke wrote a memo circulated within the Post Office which warned that Mr Jenkins was aware of flaws in the Horizon system.
    Knowledge of those bugs would have helped the defence in those cases, and Mr Clarke said the IT expert did not disclose them when he should have.
    "[He] failed to disclose material known to him but which undermines his expert opinion… in plain breach of his duty as an expert witness,” Mr Clarke’s advice said.
    It said his credibility was “fatally undermined”, and recommended that he did not testify in current or future trials.
    Mr Jenkins is being investigated by the Metropolitan Police for alleged perjury."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Re Gareth Jenkins:

• Feb Update from Sir Wyn Williams

Phases 1 to 4 of the Inquiry are now substantially complete. I use the word “substantially” quite deliberately; oral evidence from a small number of witnesses, including Mr Gareth Jenkins, is yet to be heard and there remains a possibility that the continuing disclosure of documents to the Inquiry will reveal issues related to phases 2, 3 and 4 which will require the Inquiry to make public additional documents or even adduce further oral evidence.

• He is on the stand for the whole of week 11 Tu 26 to Fr 28 June

Bit of an odd day at the inquiry today.

There have been several disclosures where it is shown that SPMs, or their family/staff, have actually committed crimes. I'm not sure where the questioning is going today.
    Last edited by Mouse; 1st May 2024 at 12:01.

Bit of an odd day at the inquiry today.

There have been several disclosures where it is shown that SPMs, or their family/staff, have actually committed crimes. I'm not sure where the questioning is going today.
    Surely if you have a large enough sample of people some of them would have committed crimes

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Surely if you have a large enough sample of people some of them would have committed crimes
    Indeed. I don't disagree. It just seemed a bit odd that counsel would refer to them during defensive 'arguments'.

Indeed. I don't disagree. It just seemed a bit odd that counsel would refer to them during defensive 'arguments'.
    Probably an attempt to reinforce a defence that these people are not trustworthy and lacking integrity, what a way to try and justify the post office position