Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Wow, just wow.
    Indeed

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    Wow, just wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Indeed
    Is it so outrageous to get good service by pleasant people in a shop these days?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Is it so outrageous to get good service by pleasant people in a shop these days?
    You've obviously never tried to buy a Rolex from Goldsmiths in Chelmsford, the description was perfect

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    You've obviously never tried to buy a Rolex from Goldsmiths in Chelmsford, the description was perfect
    Correct, never been to Chelmsford.

As I said in my earlier post.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    You must be using the wrong AD if that's the way they treat you...................

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I can confirm that it is indeed a perfect description of the Goldsmiths Chelmsford Rolex experience. To be fair it is not just for Rolex, they can be equally wonderful when it comes to purchasing an Omega rubber strap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    I can confirm that it is indeed a perfect description of the Goldsmiths Chelmsford Rolex experience. To be fair it is not just for Rolex, they can be equally wonderful when it comes to purchasing an Omega rubber strap.
    So perhaps just a shop with poor staff attitudes then.
    Maybe if people pointed it out to the management things might improve, although sometimes these attitudes are passed down the management ladder.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex and enjoy it.
    If you want a Chinese "homage", buy a homage and enjoy it.
    If you don't like Rolex or their homages, don't buy them, choose something that you do like.

The d*ck waving about it all is tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    If you want a Rolex, buy a Rolex and enjoy it.
    If you want a Chinese "homage", buy a homage and enjoy it.
    If you don't like Rolex or their homages, don't buy them, choose something that you do like.

The d*ck waving about it all is tedious.
    Devils advocate for a moment, but isn't a Rolex, similar to say a Porsche, plausibly a wee bit of a dicky waving substitute in and of itself ?, obvs applies to no one here we're all too wise for this... Speaking more generally of the man in the street as it t'were...otherwise how to explain the Rolex advertising, sponsorship and branding, perhaps the most on point association being with Bond, Connery era of course, also there was Red Adair iirc, and other manly men I'm sure there's folks here could bring them to mind, name more than I.

I had an old Steinhart that gained one sec in two weeks, out performed any Rolex I’ve ever owned. I still maintain it’s a fools game buying an automatic watch and expecting perfection, it ain’t going to happen, buy a bloody G Shock if your life evolves around obsessing about a sec or two here and there.

Life’s to short, or is that too long if it’s running slow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I had an old Steinhart that gained one sec in two weeks, out performed any Rolex I’ve ever owned. I still maintain it’s a fools game buying an automatic watch and expecting perfection, it ain’t going to happen, buy a bloody G Shock if your life evolves around obsessing about a sec or two here and there.

I have many watches, mostly mechanical, some quartz, and I couldn’t tell you how many seconds fast or slow any of them are.
    They tell the time close enough for me so all is good.
    I am interested how others see it though.

I had an old Steinhart that gained one sec in two weeks, out performed any Rolex I’ve ever owned. I still maintain it’s a fools game buying an automatic watch and expecting perfection, it ain’t going to happen, buy a bloody G Shock if your life evolves around obsessing about a sec or two here and there. ...
    Agree on all points - this:

Cost £90 or so brand new (with discounts!), and has lost one second in every two days since it arrived back in Feb. I have quartz watches (admittedly not my G-Shock) that do worse.

None of this would matter a rats arse were it not for the ludicrous hyperbole from Rolex and their obsessive cultists who insist there is simply no better watch. Even that wouldn't matter if it wasn't such an insult to the intelligence of all of us...

San Martin vs Rolex

Timekeeping on a Rolex doesn’t matter anymore. You can tell this by looking at the Tudor range with three METAS certified watches (including one GMT) and Rolex with zero.

But Tudor is there to compete with Omega so that Rolex doesn’t have to anymore.

True re a life not really hinging on a few seconds here or there...heck some days I don´t need to know the date or day... However Rolex sell these watches with all manner of superlatives including about their ACCURATE time keeping...seems a bit of a swizz that their new movement appears to have pronounced tendency to run slow and the more so when it´s worn daily, whoever heard of an automatic watch that the more you wear it the worse the time keeping gets, rather disappointing to say the least...I mean the whole Swiss watch reputation, foundation, LEGEND even is built on their accuracy and reliability, ain´t it?? Rolex with it´s COSC watchamacallit leans heavily into this FAB...feature, advantage, benefit...

say one thing for them, superlative full spectrum text book marketing and that´s not knocking them.
    Last edited by Passenger; 1st May 2024 at 11:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    True re a life not really hinging on a few seconds here or there...heck some days I don´t need to know the date or day... However Rolex sell these watches with all manner of superlatives including about their ACCURATE time keeping...seems a bit of a swizz that their new movement appears to have pronounced tendency to run slow and the more so when it´s worn daily, whoever heard of an automatic watch that the more you wear it the worse the time keeping gets, rather disappointing to say the least...I mean the whole Swiss watch reputation, foundation, is built on their accuracy and reliability, ain´t it??
    Agreed, but if you and I bought identical new Rolex watches at the same time and went our separate ways, one of us went for long walks, gardened, wore the watch in bed etc and the other sat on the couch watching football, drinking beer, eating Pizza and took the watch off at night would we get identical performances over a 24 hour period, I’m guessing not.

Equally, taking the watch off and lying flat as opposed to vertical with crown up or crown down will all have different impacts.

There are so many variables to factor in that can have impact on overall performance.

Some stuff
    I don't know why you're bothering, this whole thread is pretty clearly a piece of nonsense. San Martin vs Rolex? Really?? At best it's a bit of a laugh, but more likely created as a troll thread and now running to page 4 it's surely exceeding expectations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    I don't know why you're bothering, this whole thread is pretty clearly a piece of nonsense. San Martin vs Rolex? Really?? At best it's a bit of a laugh, but more likely created as a troll thread and now running to page 4 it's surely exceeding expectations.
    But if you even mention the 'R' brand in a thread, it always ends up as a multi page bitching fest! I don't dare even spell the name out in full!

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    You are right of course. The one thing I’ve learnt about San Martin in recent weeks is that if you sell enough of them you will have enough cash to buy a lovely new shiny Omega Speedmaster.

Agreed, but if you and I bought identical new Rolex watches at the same time and went our separate ways, one of us went for long walks, gardened, wore the watch in bed etc and the other sat on the couch watching football, drinking beer, eating Pizza and took the watch off at night would we get identical performances over a 24 hour period, I’m guessing not.

Equally, taking the watch off and lying flat as opposed to vertical with crown up or crown down will all have different impacts.

There are so many variables to factor in that can have impact on overall performance.
    But doesn´t the slowing down, losing time phenomenon seem more pronounced in those watches worn daily, and I take your point re active vs sedentary lifestyles and plausibly minor deviations in performance but again I refer to Rolex own clams, their own fabs, vibranium hairsprings and ethereal wotnots, these watches are so well crafted the only deviation will be a couple of seconds either way per day, max, ever...Now I´m not too bothered if a 60 -70 QUID Vostok loses- gains 10 or 30 seconds a day or taking my latest, a Baltic, 550 gbp, it´s gained about a minute in the first month...but if a 6500 gbp watch, marketed heavily on it´s reliability, accuracy creds...also suitability for pursuing robust, active, pursuits daily, hell Red Adair supposedly wore a datejust fighting oil fires for 100 years and never reset his...Starts losing a few or several seconds every single day in normal daily wear...c´mon are we supposed to check all our common sense when entering the AD´s premises...there´s something up, not right here...never mind that the product isn´t living up to the expectations, hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    But doesn´t the slowing down, losing time phenomenon seem more pronounced in those watches worn daily, and I take your point re active vs sedentary lifestyles and plausibly minor deviations in performance but again I refer to Rolex own clams, their own fabs, vibranium hairsprings and ethereal wotnots, these watches are so well crafted the only deviation will be a couple of seconds either way per day, max, ever...Now I´m not too bothered if a 60 -70 QUID Vostok loses- gains 10 or 30 seconds a day or taking my latest, a Baltic, 550 gbp, it´s gained about a minute in the first month...but if a 6500 gbp watch, marketed heavily on it´s reliability, accuracy creds...also suitability for pursuing robust, active, pursuits daily, hell Red Adair supposedly wore a datejust fighting oil fires for 100 years and never reset his...Starts losing a few or several seconds every single day in normal daily wear...c´mon are we supposed to check all our common sense when entering the AD´s premises...there´s something up, not right here...never mind that the product isn´t living up to the expectations, hype.
    You are correct!藍

If any of mine with one of the problem movements starts losing time, I will be sure to let everyone on here know and also express my displeasure to Rolex.

Until then, I will just wear them gardening, cooking, swimming, eating out, mountain and coastal walking etc..

I assume you have gone off the idea of buying one?