timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Erebus Ascent (Jody JOMW brand)

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    ... Also, chippy af.

Pot: meet Kettle...

Craftsman
    Pity that its only really a bargain if you are in Australia.

As they are charging the price including Australian Sales Tax on exports, so we pay VAT on top of the Australian tax too. Plus international shipping at cost, with no deduction of the domestic (inclusive) shipping costs.

Clearly making a fatter margin on exports, which puts me off.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    But do I really need another watch?

Go on, just one more watch.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Go on, just one more watch.
    You always need 1 more watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How to turn a 'possibly' into a 'no'.

Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Pity that its only really a bargain if you are in Australia.

As they are charging the price including Australian Sales Tax on exports, so we pay VAT on top of the Australian tax too. Plus international shipping at cost, with no deduction of the domestic (inclusive) shipping costs.

Clearly making a fatter margin on exports, which puts me off.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    An oyster or jubilee on a GS Heritage/SARB case with a GS-alike spiral dial.
    Microbrands smashing boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post

You missed the bit where they were doing it for £300 instead of £3,000...

You also missed the bit where they're pulling themselves up by their bootstraps from nothing instead of using the resources of a decent-sized corporation to keep doing cookie-cutter watches in an ever-changing roster of on-trend Farrow & Ball 'colourways'...

Grand Seiko: famous for...

{"Ah-aah-Zaratsu!" - bless me}

...smashing boundaries

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I know, right? It seems only yesterday that Rolex stunned the watch world as they increased the diameter of the Sub by 0.2mm.
    Luxury brands, pushing the design envelope, 200 micrometers at a time.

Erebus though?

Force of darkness, married to his sister, progenitor of death, misery, envy and retribution and the offspring of Chaos.

All a bit Greeks do Jeremy Kyle but even if that's your thing, I just don't like the name of the brand on the watch.

The watch itself is okay and you can tell he's spent time on it to get the details right, but they could do with some discipline. More choices of dials and bracelets also means less focus and crucially for a new entrant, weaker brand identity. There are endless anonymous Chinese offerings in that space. I wish him well nonetheless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Erebus though?

Force of darkness, married to his sister, progenitor of death, misery, envy and retribution and the offspring of Chaos.

All a bit Greeks do Jeremy Kyle but even if that's your thing, I just don't like the name of the brand on the watch.

The watch itself is okay and you can tell he's spent time on it to get the details right, but they could do with some discipline. More choices of dials and bracelets also means less focus and crucially for a new entrant, weaker brand identity. There are endless anonymous Chinese offerings in that space. I wish him well nonetheless.
    Agreed on all points

Wasn't a huge fan of the name either when I first heard it, all sounded a little generic and LOTR: Dark Lord Erebus of the Northern Realms, or perhaps his horse. But give it a couple of years to embed in the general consciousness and it'll seem fine.

When you consider case thickness, shortness of lug-to-lug, even lug width, bracelet taper, quick release spring bars, on-the-fly adjustment, saphire glass and lume quality, I can't think of a standard gripe he hasn't addressed. It's clearly an enthusiast's watch and I suspect, as an enthusiast, he couldn't resist producing that variety of dials, possibly at the slight expense of profit even. Great for the consumer, though. That said, a similar approach has worked for Zelos and I suspect he very much has their business model in mind, albeit his two offerigs to date don't have the clear design identity of Zelos.

Behind the nice-guy image, I suspect he's a guy who's pretty driven having found his niche / passion in life. Neither watch quite does it for me but I hope he does well, and would bet he will.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Erebus though?

Your first point was my first thought. Like the designs, but not the brand name.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    How to turn a 'possibly' into a 'no'.
    Exactly my own decision making process on it too.