Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
I was interested in the differences, so here is a rough idea of what I saw in comparison

I cut one of the Black Bay (BB) images from earlier in the thread (thank you, my apologies for nicking it), and added one of my snowflake (SF), merged them to be roughly the same size.
Going round the dial from 12.

• Around 2 o'clock (BB) and 9 (SF). The Hour hand on the BB extends beyond the inside edge of the quarter markers, making the hands look large, even though the rough proportions of the hands on the dial are very similar
  • At 20 min, you see that the SF hour markers are embedded into the length of the minute markers (they are trimmed to suit), emptying the centre of the dial. By comparison, the BB markers are totally inside the (untrimmed) minute markers by a distance
  • At 30 minutes, you see that the SF minute markers extend beyond the visible dial, and that the Swiss script is again embedded into the minute track. The BB has a large black stripe outside the minute track, where the Swiss script is
  • As a result, at 42 mins, you see that the distance between the edge of the minute track and the inside of the bezel on both is substantially different
  • It is also worth noting that on the BB photo, the index surrounds are almost black, not reflecting light. If they were reflecting, they would look substantially larger, making the dial look even more crowded
  • And finally, in the centre of the dial, the dial script is broad shouldered and narrow hipped on the SF, and pear-shaped on the BB, making it look heavier

As a result of all this, for a similar dial size (I know I have not been exact, but am pressed for a little time here), the SF has a very much emptier dial centre, but the BBs main indices are crammed in there, in "sphinctery congestion" as the Earl put it so poetically.

D
This picture might make it a bit easier with the exact same time as yours

I’m not sure how practical it is to compare new with something that old. Compare a 5513 to a 14060 or either of the two to a 124060 anything newer is an abomination. Recreations are different story.

For my money (but not my wrists) the BB54 is the nicest modern Tudor they’ve made to date. Take the sunburst off the P39 or add a bracelet to the black FXD and I might change my mind.

99% chance this Tudor will end the same way all my previous Tudors have. Want to love them but unable to accept them for what they are.