closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Varifocal contact lenses

Hybrid View

Master
    I found the latest generation of multifocal one day soft ones a revelation compared to older types, they’ve really improved. An updated prescription was probably part of that feeling, but I think the lenses are significantly better than they used to be too, and you can wear them all day long now. Annoyingly I don’t have them to hand so can’t say which brand they are but David Clulow sorted them out. I’ll edit the post once I’ve checked what they are, I think they may be the ….EDIT - they turned out to just have David Clulow one day multifocal lenses on the box, I’m not sure if they are originally another brand or not, but whatever they recommended was excellent.

Reading seems sharp and natural once you tune into them, rather than manageable like older ones, without obviously compromising distance. It’s just the strange feeling of having very good eyesight again, it feels totally natural and you anlmost instantly forget about them. I often wear them for badminton, tennis, table tennis and motorcycling, without any problems. Progressive glasses would still win,in a side by side test, but for most tasks you’d barely notice the difference. I guess I’d still reach for glasses to spend hours at the computer or reading, but they work fine. They’re a bit harder to put in than older ones due to being larger, thinner and floppier, but it’s worth getting used to. I’d really recommend giving them a go, they’re an amazing invention.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 7th May 2024 at 13:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I found the latest generation of multifocal one day soft ones a revelation compared to older types, they’ve really improved. An updated prescription was probably part of that feeling, but I think the lenses are significantly better than they used to be too, and you can wear them all day long now. Annoyingly I don’t have them to hand so can’t say which brand they are but David Clulow sorted them out. I’ll edit the post once I’ve checked what they are, I think they may be the Clariti Multifocal 1-day.

Reading seems sharp and natural once you tune into them, rather than manageable like older ones, without obviously compromising distance. It’s just the strange feeling of having very good eyesight again, it feels totally natural and you anlmost instantly forget about them. I often wear them for badminton, tennis, table tennis and motorcycling, without any problems. Progressive glasses would still win,in a side by side test, but for most tasks you’d barely notice the difference. I guess I’d still reach for glasses to spend hours at the computer or reading, but they work fine. They’re a bit harder to put in than older ones due to being larger, thinner and floppier, but it’s worth getting used to. I’d really recommend giving them a go, they’re an amazing invention.

How much per month do those cost? You have piqued my interest, as now I only wear my fixed contacts for my motorbike. My other concern with varifocals on glasses is that you end up tilting your head back to see the screen. How do you find that aspect (if you use a computer on a desk)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    How much per month do those cost? You have piqued my interest, as now I only wear my fixed contacts for my motorbike. My other concern with varifocals on glasses is that you end up tilting your head back to see the screen. How do you find that aspect (if you use a computer on a desk)?
    It’s a bit hard to say how much they are as I wear them anything between one to four times a week, not every day. I can’t remember how many I’ve ordered to be delivered or how often either, I only pay attention if I’m running out, or start accumulating boxes. So no idea of the unit price. If I’m working I’ll always wear fixed distance glasses with UV coating specially made for the screen distance, as perfect focus is critical for my work. I wouldn’t wear contacts if I was expecting to do serious work for hours, glasses are better for that. With a 32” screen you simply can’t wear progressive glasses either, as you say only the bottom third of the screen would be in focus so they’re hopeless for that. But the multifocal contacts are fine for messing around on the iPad and normal life.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I really struggled with my varifocal glasses, so had my optician make me a pair of glasses with the fixed focal distance to my screen, a bit like longer distance reading glasses. For me they have been brilliant, as I can sit at my large screen and move my eyes vs my head and eyes to stay in the sweet spot of vision & no longer tilt backwards.

Laptop and iPad still use varifocal glasses. Will have to try contacts again given how far off my glasses prescription seemed to be new vs old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been wearing the top-of-the-range Specsavers daily disposable varifocals for a number of years and find them fantastic.

It took a little bit of time experimenting with different prescriptions (and, of course, it takes some time for your brain to adapt), but I'm very happy with both my short and long distance vision.

I wear my lenses every single day, from getting up until going to bed, with no discomfort and no problems - I have my eyes checked at least once or twice a year. Cost is £42 per month (on the Lensmail scheme, delivered to my door) and worth every penny.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I have been wearing the top-of-the-range Specsavers daily disposable varifocals for a number of years and find them fantastic.

It took a little bit of time experimenting with different prescriptions (and, of course, it takes some time for your brain to adapt), but I'm very happy with both my short and long distance vision.

I wear my lenses every single day, from getting up until going to bed, with no discomfort and no problems - I have my eyes checked at least once or twice a year. Cost is £42 per month (on the Lensmail scheme, delivered to my door) and worth every penny.

I have astigmatism across both eyes, previously (few years ago) I could not get dailies to fix varifocal and the astigmatism, so was a varifocal lens, and then a single vision to correct astigmatism in a single eye.

This was what I struggled with. Will have to see what has moved on, and getting used to the current options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk