closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Voyager 1

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    And it's been that way since 2002. That's something I had not realised, thank you.
    Whichever way one cuts it, it's a magnificent piece of engineering bearing in mind that an average PC is pretty much unusable garbage after a hand full of years.

The fact that NASA can communicate with it over millions and millions of miles is amazing frankly, bearing in mind my mesh system doesn't even reach the en-suite.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Whichever way one cuts it, it's a magnificent piece of engineering bearing in mind that an average PC is pretty much unusable garbage after a hand full of years.

The fact that NASA can communicate with it over millions and millions of miles is amazing frankly, bearing in mind my mesh system doesn't even reach the en-suite.
    I agree.

That digital communications over such a distance is a) possible b) still effective in controlling Voyager is a marvel (IMO).

That the onboard computer can still be reprogrammed by those communications is somewhat astonishing. That there are digital to analogue converters onboard that can translate the messages to electromechanical devices to steer antennae etc stands as a monument to the depth of forethought and planning applied by the designers and constructors.

It does have a hint of Space Cowboys in it
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I agree.

That digital communications over such a distance is a) possible b) still effective in controlling Voyager is a marvel (IMO).

That the onboard computer can still be reprogrammed by those communications is somewhat astonishing. That there are digital to analogue converters onboard that can translate the messages to electromechanical devices to steer antennae etc stands as a monument to the depth of forethought and planning applied by the designers and constructors.
    Given the memory available to be used, I’m amazed how future proof they appear to have made it. To be updated remotely just blows my tiny mind!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    These days, 67MB doesn't even cover one full resolution image taken on an iPhone 15 Pro Max; and that's for entirety of a space craft including data recording - on a piece of tape.

Blog Entries
    I love watching those Discovery Science 'How the Universe Works' series, I'm a keen old school Sci-Fi lover but understand nothing of maths. But when watching that stuff I do realise we are a laughable bunch stuck on a tiny speck of dust. We should just be glad we have this blue ball and cherish it. The universe is a mind boggling big space we will never travel it (sadly) by spacecraft, it's just far to big. The only thing I'm sad about is not being alive when we try to reach Proxima Centauri and the chance of a habitable planet a few ligtyears away.
    The fact the universe is expanding so fast that in the end there will be only blackness and no stars in the sky is beyond my comprehension.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    These days, 67MB doesn't even cover one full resolution image taken on an iPhone 15 Pro Max; and that's for entirety of a space craft including data recording - on a piece of tape.
    Amazing content memory wise, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    The fact the universe is expanding so fast that in the end there will be only blackness and no stars in the sky is beyond my comprehension.
    I never knew that, thank you, my mind is blown for the week now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Amazing content memory wise, wow!

I never knew that, thank you, my mind is blown for the week now.
    They explained it with an elasticated rubber mat example, if you stand in the middle of the mat and they have put some apples at random places on the mat and start pulling at the edges you remain at the same spot and the apples are getting away from you.

But the fact it will all turn black around us is still not really taking shape in my mind.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks View Post
    The only thing I'm sad about is not being alive when we try to reach Proxima Centauri and the chance of a habitable planet a few ligtyears away.
    Once we Sublime we can be everywhere at once.