closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

That was being regurgitated by some on here like gospel, these so called experts are really looking stupid now what with the new tech coming out and mileage improvements. Don’t forget theyve got as far as theyre going!!

Master
    Mustang Mach E arriving on Wednesday - 375 miles WLTP, so maybe 300 miles in the real world. Plenty of range.

That’ll do, pig.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Mustang Mach E arriving on Wednesday - 375 miles WLTP, so maybe 300 miles in the real world. Plenty of range.

That’ll do, pig.
    Couldn't get one early last years as they were like rocking horse dung…Mach e was our first choice.

I'm collecting my EV this week. My home charger isn't being installed until next week. Until then, any tips on charging without paying loads? Should I sign up to something like BP Pulse or Tesla?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm collecting my EV this week. My home charger isn't being installed until next week. Until then, any tips on charging without paying loads? Should I sign up to something like BP Pulse or Tesla?
    Just charge it from a 13A socket using the ICCB AKA granny cable. Slow but should be okay overnight if you aren't doing tonnes of miles.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Just charge it from a 13A socket using the ICCB AKA granny cable. Slow but should be okay overnight if you aren't doing tonnes of miles.
    Agreed - domestic rate will be cheaper than commercial fast charging. Tesco Pod Point can be worth a try a bit quicker, but not sure of their rates (used to be free) and start the process of getting moved to an EV tariff if you haven't already for when your charger comes as that can take a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post

That’ll do, pig.
    What Car? did a winter range test in 2022 and the Mustang Mach-E they tested had a WLTP of 379 miles. On test (it's in the April 2022 issue - full battery, driven at a mixture of speeds on a closed test facility in convoy with nine other EVs) the range was 34.6% down, at 247 miles. I hope they've made the technology a bit better in the two years since.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    What Car? did a winter range test in 2022 and the Mustang Mach-E they tested had a WLTP of 379 miles. On test (it's in the April 2022 issue - full battery, driven at a mixture of speeds on a closed test facility in convoy with nine other EVs) the range was 34.6% down, at 247 miles. I hope they've made the technology a bit better in the two years since.
    Fleet News did a more recent test, Mustang Mach-E RWD ER managed 288, all the cars covered 250 miles without any special driving techniques, the smallest and cheapest being the most efficient on test.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/features...-ev-range-test

It’s not just an EV thing, no car in the real world manages to meet the WLTP test figures, because nobody drives like the WLTP test. Petrol and petrol hybrid cars tested in 2022 were about 14% shy of the claimed WLTP numbers.

https://theicct.org/wp-content/uploa...WLTP_final.pdf

Different power trains, same issue really.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Fleet News did a more recent test, Mustang Mach-E RWD ER managed 288, all the cars covered 250 miles without any special driving techniques, the smallest and cheapest being the most efficient on test.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/features...-ev-range-test

It’s not just an EV thing, no car in the real world manages to meet the WLTP test figures, because nobody drives like the WLTP test. Petrol and petrol hybrid cars tested in 2022 were about 14% shy of the claimed WLTP numbers.

https://theicct.org/wp-content/uploa...WLTP_final.pdf

Different power trains, same issue really.
    Fleet News published their test in October, so looking at the greenery in the picture the cars were probably tested in late summer so this will be a summer range test. I'm pretty sure What Car? did a summer range test too with the same cars but can't find it. It does seem to suggest though that the Mach-E will, on average, do between 247 and 288 miles through the year. The difference is with What Car? they did the test on a closed track (Mira? Millbrook? Can't remember) at different speeds on different tracks and charged the batteries the night before and then topped them up in the morning before setting off. They then drove the cars until they literally stopped with empty batteries, all stopping and changing drivers every few miles, so their 247 miles was worst case scenario while Fleet News went until mileage was indicated zero. You'd have to assume using WC? figures the winter range with a bit of a buffer and doing a mixture of miles is 220 miles.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Fleet News published their test in October, so looking at the greenery in the picture the cars were probably tested in late summer so this will be a summer range test. I'm pretty sure What Car? did a summer range test too with the same cars but can't find it. It does seem to suggest though that the Mach-E will, on average, do between 247 and 288 miles through the year. The difference is with What Car? they did the test on a closed track (Mira? Millbrook? Can't remember) at different speeds on different tracks and charged the batteries the night before and then topped them up in the morning before setting off. They then drove the cars until they literally stopped with empty batteries, all stopping and changing drivers every few miles, so their 247 miles was worst case scenario while Fleet News went until mileage was indicated zero. You'd have to assume using WC? figures the winter range with a bit of a buffer and doing a mixture of miles is 220 miles.

Sure, a Mach E won't do 379 miles in reality, and my assumption of 'maybe' 300 miles is based on my usage, which is primarily suburban, though I accept if I chuck some motorway in it'll be down to 240-250 really quickly, less in the cold. That said, I've driven an EV for the last 3 years so it's not unexpected. The real key for me is speed of charging away from home - I've tried a couple of EVs (Audi, BMW) and have been impressed at how easy it's been to stick another 100 miles in when out and about, so as long as there's enough range to do 2-3 hours driving it's never really going to impinge on me that much.

This additional range and the rapid growth of the charging networks is what's led to me making an EV my sole car - let's see whether it works out!

Master
    My EV has a WLTP range of 297 miles, I get around 225-270 in my 25k a year driving. About where I expected, given I spend a lot of time at 65-70mph on motorways and the A1.

It is what it is, I suppose if you’re new to EVs it might be shocking, but ICE cars don’t achieve the WLTP range either.

Master
    Delivered this morning - after 190 miles on (mostly) motorway, it arrived with 40% charge remaining. Good enough, I'd say.