closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Incoming / New Arrival Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    Sure they ain't. I missed those days that I would/could pay for a genuine Doxa. indeed, these copies/clones do bring me plenty of fun. Envy your collection.

I always want another Rolex but will I wear a Rolex clone...101% no!
    Nothing wrong with that in some ways I think yours look better, I don’t own them anymore only the orange one and I didn’t pay a lot for it at the time a lot less than retail

Just arrived - Squale 1521 50 Atmos Professional. It's certainly had a hard life and some bodging, but seems in perfect working order:

Feels like it sits high on my wrist, and at 13.1mm thick is actually thicker than Squale's claim of 12.5mm - given how it wears I'm glad I didn't go for the Marina Militare model at 17mm: now that would be quite the wrist-buncle! High it may be, but it's very comfortable, helped by the slim, tapering vintage-style FKM strap I've swapped it on to (the supplied OEM rubber being a bit clumsy and stiff).

What is good are the overall dimensions - it's a small 42mm (literally as well as how it wears, as it's actually 41.5mm in max diameter!). Legibility is superlative - for once you can tell someone who actually dived had a hand in its design, rather than the usual BS and hyperbole.

Time will tell if it's a keeper, I like it, and am pleased to be trying one at a sane price; the fact I'm not instantly infatuated is likely a good thing.

These are £1,075 now at full retail, which is enough for pause-for-thought. Quality is acceptable, fit-and-finish seems decent, 316L steel everywhere, AR-treated sapphire crystal, beer-can aluminium bezel (my first in a LONG time!), basic Sellita movement, simple pad-printed dial with average lume... A lot of the cost is in the Swiss manufacture and historic heritage - there are tons of micros offering equal or better specs for ~£500, but then there are also companies like Seiko offering some distinctly average watches around this price too. You pay for A Name.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    Just arrived - Squale 1521 50 Atmos Professional. It's certainly had a hard life and some bodging, but seems in perfect working order:

Feels like it sits high on my wrist, and at 13.1mm thick is actually thicker than Squale's claim of 12.5mm - given how it wears I'm glad I didn't go for the Marina Militare model at 17mm: now that would be quite the wrist-buncle! High it may be, but it's very comfortable, helped by the slim, tapering vintage-style FKM strap I've swapped it on to (the supplied OEM rubber being a bit clumsy and stiff).

What is good are the overall dimensions - it's a small 42mm (literally as well as how it wears, as it's actually 41.5mm in max diameter!). Legibility is superlative - for once you can tell someone who actually dived had a hand in its design, rather than the usual BS and hyperbole.

Time will tell if it's a keeper, I like it, and am pleased to be trying one at a sane price; the fact I'm not instantly infatuated is likely a good thing.

These are £1,075 now at full retail, which is enough for pause-for-thought. Quality is acceptable, fit-and-finish seems decent, 316L steel everywhere, AR-treated sapphire crystal, beer-can aluminium bezel (my first in a LONG time!), basic Sellita movement, simple pad-printed dial with average lume... A lot of the cost is in the Swiss manufacture and historic heritage - there are tons of micros offering equal or better specs for ~£500, but then there are also companies like Seiko offering some distinctly average watches around this price too. You pay for A Name.
    I thought these watches look better in photos than in person. I was pretty shocked by the quality, when I handled one.

I think a £1k seiko diver is a better proposition though.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I thought these watches look better in photos than in person. I was pretty shocked by the quality, when I handled one.

I bought a ‘vintage’ one not too long ago. (It was one of the NOS ones they once sold) it’s great as a neo vintage diver but it’s not worth a grand. I agree, £5/600 new would be about right, £400 used is bearable

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I bought a ‘vintage’ one not too long ago. (It was one of the NOS ones they once sold) it’s great as a neo vintage diver but it’s not worth a grand. I agree, £5/600 new would be about right, £400 used is bearable
    I was looking at pictures of that today. Sigh!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I was looking at pictures of that today. Sigh!
    You can have first dibs if you want it back at any time!
    It’s a lovely watch but very similar to my Scubapro 500 (and the other 70 watches I own)

Grand Master
    It’s a lovely watch but very similar to my Scubapro 500 (and the other 70 watches I own)
    I dont feel so bad now with 9 watches.

I'm still regretting that EZM 2, but I'll take the Scubapro any time you like, as well

I'm down to 20, which is comfortable… I think

Craftsman

Congratulations, what an excellent choice, the 1521 is a classic! I agree the OEM straps can be pretty grim, that replacement looks great. Squale increased their RRP by 20% in February, which was madness as they always sold with quite a discount before that. When they were £700 or so new, I think they were at the top of what was reasonable but pre-owned around £400-£500 is the way to go. Enjoy the Squale experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post

I've been disappointed in every single Seiko I've owned and handled, more so now they've doubled their prices, then doubled them again.

This is rather growing on me. It's hard to tell how well made it was as it's clearly been used and abused, but the design has a lot of clever, thoughtful and subtle features that are very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    Congratulations, what an excellent choice, the 1521 is a classic! I agree the OEM straps can be pretty grim, that replacement looks great. Squale increased their RRP by 20% in February, which was madness as they always sold with quite a discount before that. When they were £700 or so new, I think they were at the top of what was reasonable but pre-owned around £400-£500 is the way to go. Enjoy the Squale experience!
    Squale, like Seiko, need to up their game - not their bloody prices! Their latest Ti effort is well over 2K and I just cannot begin to see the value in it at-all. They also want an extra £500 for the COSC certified versions of their cooking models - no way do the bought-in movements cost anything like that much more!

They also need to rationalise their ranges and re-engineer them to be significantly slimmer. They have some great USP features, but I'm glad I came in at the cheaper end of their game, because I see nothing much to be gained higher up the food chain...

Well apart from the blue and white Matic like you have!

...or the Marina Militare (if it wasn't such a bloater!)...

Yeeeeaaahhhhh... This may not be my last one...

I've been disappointed in every single Seiko I've owned and handled, more so now they've doubled their prices, then doubled them again.

This is rather growing on me. It's hard to tell how well made it was as it's clearly been used and abused, but the design has a lot of clever, thoughtful and subtle features that are very appealing.

Squale, like Seiko, need to up their game - not their bloody prices! Their latest Ti effort is well over 2K and I just cannot begin to see the value in it at-all. They also want an extra £500 for the COSC certified versions of their cooking models - no way do the bought-in movements cost anything like that much more!

They also need to rationalise their ranges and re-engineer them to be significantly slimmer. They have some great USP features, but I'm glad I came in at the cheaper end of their game, because I see nothing much to be gained higher up the food chain...

Well apart from the blue and white Matic like you have!

...or the Marina Militare (if it wasn't such a bloater!)...

Yeeeeaaahhhhh... This may not be my last one...
    It’s a lovely looking thing, to be sure but they need to change the bezel insert to something that doesn’t scratch so easily (could be the printing process), stick some slightly larger, applied dial indices with decent lume, sort out the wobbly crown, maybe even find a way so it’s not so impossible to manipulate, and it would be a better watch IMO.

I couldn’t give two hoots about a COSC-certified squale, they need to focus on the other problems but it’s much easier to drop in a more expensive movement and transfer the cost to the customer, with a cynical additional margin.