closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Championship Fred 23/24

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Well done to Ipswich they fully deserved it.

Master
    Well done Ipswich, great achievement. You showed a lot of energy, spirit and organisation against us last night.

I joked about the ref being a Wednesday fan, I don't know where the linesman was from but I've got to say he had a shocker on the decisive goal. Edmundson a good yard offside, clearly active as he challenges for the header directly from the free kick making a 2 on 1 against Simms and then goes down looking for the penalty!

Last edited by thegreatdogwood; 1st May 2024 at 09:03.

You need VAR....said nobody ever.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    Well done Ipswich, great achievement. You showed a lot of energy, spirit and organisation against us last night.

I joked about the ref being a Wednesday fan, I don't know where the linesman was from but I've got to say he had a shocker on the decisive goal. Edmundson a good yard offside, clearly active as he challenges for the header directly from the free kick making a 2 on 1 against Simms and then goes down looking for the penalty!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    You need VAR....said nobody ever.
    There should be no need VAR on that one but they’re the breaks.

No problem though, if Ipswich had drawn, we would have still had hope for Saturday. Best to get the disappointment over now!

Master
    I would keep VAR but change the application for offside.

Trying to draw a conclusion down to the last toenail is total nonsense when the technology is not that accurate and as we found out against Man U the person drawing the lines puts it on top of the defenders boot costing us a final spot!

It is supposed to be clear and obvious and should carry forward the preface of favouring the attacker. So just agree and apply a margin, so for instance instead of it being given offside for a toenail, the lines have to be a minimum of six inches, or maybe even a foot apart. At that point it starts to become clear and obvious and is more reflective of the actual margin for error that is inbuilt into the process.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatdogwood View Post
    I would keep VAR but change the application for offside.

Trying to draw a conclusion down to the last toenail is total nonsense when the technology is not that accurate and as we found out against Man U the person drawing the lines puts it on top of the defenders boot costing us a final spot!

It is supposed to be clear and obvious and should carry forward the preface of favouring the attacker. So just agree and apply a margin, so for instance instead of it being given offside for a toenail, the lines have to be a minimum of six inches, or maybe even a foot apart. At that point it starts to become clear and obvious and is more reflective of the actual margin for error that is inbuilt into the process.
    Late to this but you’re wrong with VAR. It is there for determining if someone is offside. No clear and obvious in that element of it and never has been. It’s ‘factual’ - PGMOL’s words not mine’ - because you are either off or on. Similar to it being factual in the fourth use of VAR, mistaken identity (has anyone seen it used for that?!)

Application of VAR is the issue and I think most agree with that.

One thing you rarely see people talk about is goal line tech which baffles me. Yes there is a human element to VAR but people always talk about frame rates and margins of error. The owner of Hawkeye has admitted there is a margin of error with goalline tech too yet when there is a close call (I commentated spurs Bournemouth, look how close that one was), nobody shouts “what about the margin of error!”

It’s arguably more problematic with goal line tech because that margin of error determines if it’s a goal every time. With VAR and offside it only determines a goal if it’s reviewing one. The rest of the time it determines a penalty or red card which doesn’t guarantee to change the one metric that really matters: the score.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    Late to this but you’re wrong with VAR. It is there for determining if someone is offside. No clear and obvious in that element of it and never has been. It’s ‘factual’ - PGMOL’s words not mine’ - because you are either off or on. Similar to it being factual in the fourth use of VAR, mistaken identity (has anyone seen it used for that?!)

Application of VAR is the issue and I think most agree with that.

One thing you rarely see people talk about is goal line tech which baffles me. Yes there is a human element to VAR but people always talk about frame rates and margins of error. The owner of Hawkeye has admitted there is a margin of error with goalline tech too yet when there is a close call (I commentated spurs Bournemouth, look how close that one was), nobody shouts “what about the margin of error!”

It’s arguably more problematic with goal line tech because that margin of error determines if it’s a goal every time. With VAR and offside it only determines a goal if it’s reviewing one. The rest of the time it determines a penalty or red card which doesn’t guarantee to change the one metric that really matters: the score.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I know an FA Councillor and he has said the FA are looking into introducing a margin as they recognise the way offside is being run does not work
    Last edited by thegreatdogwood; 10th May 2024 at 10:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    if Ipswich had drawn, we would have still had hope for Saturday. Best to get the disappointment over now!
    Nah - we'll hammer Southampton on Saturday and Huddersfield will have a rare win over Ipswich. Perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Nah - we'll hammer Southampton on Saturday and Huddersfield will have a rare win over Ipswich. Perhaps.
    That’s so impossibly unlikely that even I’m not holding out for that to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Best to get the disappointment over now!
    If Leeds stay in the Championship the fans should be ecstatic. I know a few fans and they've been a pleasure to be around this year and they've enjoyed going to the football. Last season they were miserable, not sure why they'd want to go through that again.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    If Leeds stay in the Championship the fans should be ecstatic. I know a few fans and they've been a pleasure to be around this year and they've enjoyed going to the football. Last season they were miserable, not sure why they'd want to go through that again.
    Because to go forward, Leeds have to be in the premiership. Maybe a few years of scraping by (like last time) but hopefully becoming an established premiership team like, say, Villa or Brighton.

Staying in the championship may mean winning more games but that’s settling for second best and if you’re standing still then you’re going backwards