Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
Typically I insure a dog until about 7 years old, then when the premiums start to go up steeply and/or the co-pay element increases significantly I'd probably cease insurance. I know that the final few years of a dog's life are likely to be expensive, whether that's through severely hiked premiums or just paying directly. I got very frustrated not knowing if a claim would be approved/queried and seeing the insuring entity try to wriggle out of paying (yes, Animal Friends, I'm talking about you) hence relying on the Bank Of LBC.
This is where PetPlan seem to be very good, and probably why their premiums are a bit higher, but they seem to not quibble about any legitimate claim.

The vets seem to like them too, you can imagine the hassle with owners where they thought they were covered and now they’re not.

We rescued a 2 year old dog when the owner could no longer look after her, we insured her via PetPlan and Epilepsy was excluded as I knew she already had it. When she had an episode and was hospitalised, I didn’t think I could claim due to the exclusion. The Practice noticed that the previous owner had insured her as a pup when she was diagnosed, and the insurer was PetPlan. Staying within privacy rules the vets spoke to PetPlan who agreed to cover it as they’d previously been the insurer when it was originally diagnosed and effectively transferred that inclusion to me as if I was the original owner and insurer. I was amazed, but grateful, given what I thought of insurers up to that point. She lived another 7 years or so, and they always paid up no problem.