Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
I am not sure this is very consistent.
You argue that they have devalued the one thing they have, their brand.
But then argue that the brand was built on dodgy foundations.
Which would seem to indicate that there really wasn't that much to devalue.
Well, people bought into it. I just found the whole "crash landed in a French farmer's field" thing slightly . . . overplayed at best, if not downright fanciful.

For me, there was a relatively strong and consistent story based around the slightly clunky tagline of "Tested Beyond Endurance".
It's a bad phrase, but the message was consistent throughout.
The other main consistency was much of the styling, based around the Trip-tick case.
These were 2 of the 4 mainstays of the brand creation. The others were the Limited Editions (most of which left me cold), and the Military Projects (which certainly seemed to be going great), which also spawned newer ranges.
Yeah, I'll concede that. Fair enough.

We (as a forum) may not have loved it all, but I think the brand did succeed in getting quite a lot of traction (here and abroad), and I certainly believe genuine value was created in the brand.
That's kind of my point: they created a story that people invested in. And some neat in-house(ish) watches, too. Not my taste personally but I admired the Trip-tick case and the aspiration to build a watch in the UK from the ground up.

Now? Now they look like yet another microbrand using ETA clones and Chinese cases. Watches that should sell for hundreds not thousands, with little intrinsic value and no USP.