closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 5,051 to 5,100 of 5116

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Doesn’t the 80% rule only apply for DC? I always charge to 100% at home. And often leave it plugged in for several hours after fully charged.

Blog Entries
    My 2020 was plugged in all the time when it was at home. Didn’t musky say a plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla????

I would only generally take it to 90% and only above this for the jollies up north.

Mine was a Yank built Performance one, the two later Chinese built SR’s the company had were fine to 100%.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Doesn’t the 80% rule only apply for DC? I always charge to 100% at home. And often leave it plugged in for several hours after fully charged.
    It depends on the battery chemistry but the Ioniq 6 is Li-ion I think that likes to be in the ‘Goldilocks zone’ for optimal long life. However, most modern EVs have top and bottom buffers so that the pack is never really full or empty.

DC charging beyond 80% is rarely worth the time taken to charge the last 20%, but the reality is the battery will probably outlast the car and you can just let the battery management system look after the battery.

Personally, I charge the car to 80% unless I know I’m going on a long journey when I charge to 100% before setting off.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    I dont think it’s charge-type dependant.

Rapid charging take a toll on batteries due to heat.

Fully charging batteries take a toll due to chemistry changes (or something).

So rapid charging to 100 is double-bad. Heat is the greatest enemy as far as I know.

Neither of our cars have a charge limit, both have been charged to 100 almost every time.

Neither has ever been rapid charged though, and most times I charge at 1.8 or 3.6 KW - because I’m not in a hurry, feel it’s better for the grid managers, and keeps heat to a minimum.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Thanks. I fully agree.

Given a lot of EV cars are on a lease/salary sacrifice, and you just chuck the keys back at 3 years, no incentive not to charge to 100%, especially given the very low cost of charging at home and extortionate cost everywhere else.

It’s really a non issue this charging to 100% thing.

As mentioned earlier, EV batteries have a buffer at both ends so never really charge to 100% or drain to 0%.

And whilst it’s true that the optimum charge fir battery life is 50%, it’s impossible to just keep it at 50%. Charges above and below don’t seem to have a major impact on actual battery life and it’s also worth remembering that battery range decreases slowly, they don’t just stop so in another twenty years time we could see stratospheric mileage, early Tesla model S cars with a useful range of only 120 mikes or so rather than the 250-300 when new. To some people though, that will be plenty. The rest of the car may be falling apart around it though!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Given a lot of EV cars are on a lease/salary sacrifice, and you just chuck the keys back at 3 years, no incentive not to charge to 100%, especially given the very low cost of charging at home and extortionate cost everywhere else.
    Pretty much, yes!

On the charging section of the home screen, the EV I lease says battery life is best preserved by charging to a maximum of 90%.

Of course, I ignore that as I'm chucking the keys back after 3 years

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I’ve been charging mine to 100% 5 days a week for nine years and I’ve lost maybe 15% of range, so I’ll just carry on until the range is below what I can get away with and then swap it for the huge 40kwhr battery version.

That said, I don’t leave it at 100% for any length of time, perhaps the occasional weekend at most.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 21st May 2024 at 09:35.

I have just updated my tariff to E.ON Next Drive v3 which gives be a full 7 hours overnight (12am-7am) charging for 6.9p/kWh.

Perfect if you have to use a granny cable like me as I need long overnight cheap charging hours, and it gets me 60 miles per day, every day. I'm doing a lot less miles than that, so the charge naturally accumulates to 100% almost on a continuous basis, which is perfect for the odd weekend long drive.

In fact, with my driving habits, even if I had a driveway I wouldn't bother installing a charger, as I'm unlikely to ever get the £1,000 installation cost back when a fill up costs £4 and I never need to use local public chargers. The only time I ever need to use a public charger is when I am a long way from home which doesn't matter if I have a granny charger at home or not.

May be useful for any others who granny charge, or are thinking about an EV but have no driveway? As mentioned, I'm not convinced everyone needs home charger, and depending on driving habits you may be unnecessarily spending £1,000.

You mean, the sort of rates we all pay for our petrol? It's only extortionate compared to the price you can get at home...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    You mean, the sort of rates we all pay for our petrol? It's only extortionate compared to the price you can get at home...
    Yes, comparatively extortionate. But, most public fast chargers seem to charge about 80p/kWh, and that is twice the equivalent cost of petrol/diesel.

With FFF’s son paying £14k for a low mileage ID3 (see above), anyone can own a EV these days and join in the fun of almost free fill ups.

Yes, comparatively extortionate. But, most public fast chargers seem to charge about 80p/kWh, and that is twice the equivalent cost of petrol/diesel.

With FFF’s son paying £14k for a low mileage ID3 (see above), anyone can own a EV these days and join in the fun of almost free fill ups.
    Didn´t he get it on tic, a car loan...I read FFF´s post as his son traded the banger, put down a small deposit, presumably has a car loan for the rest...14 K cost does show prices are going the right way, so that´s positive.

The only time I ever need to use a public charger is when I am a long way from home which doesn't matter if I have a granny charger at home or not.
    If you do what most people do and keep the granny charger in the car, you can usually find an accessible three pin socket somewhere when you’re away from home.

The EV and almost free motoring mean I explore a lot more at weekends.

Last weekend the wife was away with her Mum on holiday, oldest was out all day with his mates, and youngest is at uni. So, as billy-no-mates I got up early, chucked the Brompton in the back of the car and drove from London to the outskirts of Bath in a couple of hours. Cycled the disused railway line to Bristol. Couple of pints and food on the Bristol waterfront in the sunshine and bus back to Bath. Home by 9pm with a few % charge remaining.

Would I have done that on a whim if I had to chuck £50 in for petrol or diesel just for a bit of a leisure cycle? Unlikely.

I pretty much choose a destination up to 125 miles from home every week now and leisure cycle all new places for almost free. It's great and improved my weekends considerably.

The EV and almost free motoring mean I explore a lot more at weekends.

Last weekend the wife was away with her Mum on holiday, oldest was out all day with his mates, and youngest is at uni. So, as billy-no-mates I got up early, chucked the Brompton in the back of the car and drove from London to the outskirts of Bath in a couple of hours. Cycled the disused railway line to Bristol. Couple of pints and food on the Bristol waterfront in the sunshine and bus back to Bath. Home by 9pm with a few % charge remaining.

Would I have done that on a whim if I had to chuck £50 in for petrol or diesel just for a bit of a leisure cycle? Unlikely.

I pretty much choose a destination up to 125 miles from home every week now and leisure cycle all new places for almost free. It's great and improved my weekends considerably.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Nice.
    That reminds me, I need to PM xxnick1975. :)

I have just updated my tariff to E.ON Next Drive v3 which gives be a full 7 hours overnight (12am-7am) charging for 6.9p/kWh.

Perfect if you have to use a granny cable like me as I need long overnight cheap charging hours, and it gets me 60 miles per day, every day. I'm doing a lot less miles than that, so the charge naturally accumulates to 100% almost on a continuous basis, which is perfect for the odd weekend long drive.

In fact, with my driving habits, even if I had a driveway I wouldn't bother installing a charger, as I'm unlikely to ever get the £1,000 installation cost back when a fill up costs £4 and I never need to use local public chargers. The only time I ever need to use a public charger is when I am a long way from home which doesn't matter if I have a granny charger at home or not.

May be useful for any others who granny charge, or are thinking about an EV but have no driveway? As mentioned, I'm not convinced everyone needs home charger, and depending on driving habits you may be unnecessarily spending £1,000.
    What’s the day rate and standing charge on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    What’s the day rate and standing charge on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One year fix with no exit fee, so move again for free, or select a new tariff at any time, if unit rates come down even further.

The ‘being so cheap you don’t have to think about it’ thing is very nice, particularly when dad taxiing here there and everywhere is an expectation. I’ve recently needed to commute into London several times a week and along with yourparkingplace being a fiver at Stanmore Sainsbury’s it’s all been very affordable and convenient compared to the train.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

[QUOTE=noTAGlove;6398580]One year fix with no exit fee, so move again for free, or select a new tariff at any time, if unit rates come down even further.QUOTE]

Thanks, I’ll let the lad know and do the maths.

Master
    Polestar about to be delisted, for not coming out with a Q1 report still, most likely on the verge of bankruptcy. BuT eVs aRe tHE fUtUrE! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Polestar about to be delisted, for not coming out with a Q1 report still, most likely on the verge of bankruptcy. BuT eVs aRe tHE fUtUrE! ;D
    Very pertinent comment. It is a well known fact that no ICE manufacturer ever went bust, in this country or abroad. Had that been the case ICE vehicles wouldn't have taken the hold they have.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Very pertinent comment. It is a well known fact that no ICE manufacturer ever went bust, in this country or abroad. Had that been the case ICE vehicles wouldn't have taken the hold they have.
    Its not worth it….hes a bell

Having driven our Cupra Born on the commute almost exclusively for the last couple of months, and occasionally taking the Fiesta ST to remind me how to change gear and make fruity noises I was genuinely appalled when I had to spend £70 filling up the tank today for the first time in ages. £70, all in one go, to make fruity noises and change gear myself. Hmm. Suddenly seems very old fashioned, if there was a decent sporty small EV hatch I suspect I’d be poring over brochures - I’m really starting to find the EV so much easier to live with.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Having driven our Cupra Born on the commute almost exclusively for the last couple of months, and occasionally taking the Fiesta ST to remind me how to change gear and make fruity noises I was genuinely appalled when I had to spend £70 filling up the tank today for the first time in ages. £70, all in one go, to make fruity noises and change gear myself. Hmm. Suddenly seems very old fashioned, if there was a decent sporty small EV hatch I suspect I’d be poring over brochures - I’m really starting to find the EV so much easier to live with.
    Renault 5 EV coming soon. I drive my daughters car once a week to remind myself of the "joys" of a manual ICE car. Then I drive my Megane e-tech and enjoy driving again.

Neither beats the Moto Guzzi mind.

Master
    and that is the general consensus when one moves to an EV, sure there are some horror stories but the general feedback mirrors yours and my own experience is quite similar (having owned manual sports cars in the past)

Blog Entries
    Same here. Three years in a Tesla, 6 months and now getting back in one. For me, and it is a few year old used one, it was a no brainer.

EV world, welcome back

Pitch

I even find myself Looking at the Dacia Spring and thinking it’s all we as a family really need in a second car, sure it’s probably got 100 miles of range in real life but if they are cheap on a pcp (I’m still unsure about buying outright as there’s in all probability a few leaps in tech due over the next few years which will affect value retention drastically I suspect) then why not? - ok not really a fun car in hot hatch terms - perhaps the Renault 5 or similar will be worth the wait but looks like they’ll be a lot more £. I did read a review describing the Spring as an electric 2CV which I find quite appealing

I even find myself Looking at the Dacia Spring and thinking it’s all we as a family really need in a second car, sure it’s probably got 100 miles of range in real life but if they are cheap on a pcp (I’m still unsure about buying outright as there’s in all probability a few leaps in tech due over the next few years which will affect value retention drastically I suspect) then why not? - ok not really a fun car in hot hatch terms - perhaps the Renault 5 or similar will be worth the wait but looks like they’ll be a lot more £. I did read a review describing the Spring as an electric 2CV which I find quite appealing
    If you buy outright and keep it long term, the residual value is not important. Whatever the future advances, if the car suits you now, it will probably still suit you going forward regardless of technological advancements. And let’s face it, most of the supposed advances over the last few years on all vehicles are a bit of a pain anyway.

I was reading some of your earlier posts and it’s really hard to believe that you were a closet EV fan back then!

Quote Originally Posted by kildareman View Post

Neither beats the Moto Guzzi mind.
    Try one of these!

https://zeromotorcycles.com/en-gb/model/zero-srf

Blog Entries
    Just wanted to check something; I believe the 100% First Year Allowance for electric vehicles is due to finish in March 2025 - does that mean you can buy one anytime within that period and still qualify? i.e. could you buy a new electric car in Jan 2025 and still qualify for the write off?

Has anyone on here had a Tesla Model Y and an Audi E-Tron quattro, to compare the two?

I need something with 4WD and decent ground clearance, so had assumed I would have to stick with a standard ICE SUV style, but these seem quite appealing. I would likely be buying second hand, but may consider a lease.

I need something which will do a regular bi-weekly 500 mile round trip in a day (225 miles each way), with no charging facility when I arrive (clients property) and park up, but I could charge on the way (M54/M6/A14) Shrewsbury - Birmingham - Cambridge - Ipswich but don't really want to wait around for ages while it charges as it is already a long day.

Am I crazy to think I could do this regularly in an EV?
    Does Tesla still have the advantage on motorway charge points, or has that changed now? I heard they were opening their chargers to other EV users too.
    TIA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    Has anyone on here had a Tesla Model Y and an Audi E-Tron quattro, to compare the two?

I need something with 4WD and decent ground clearance, so had assumed I would have to stick with a standard ICE SUV style, but these seem quite appealing. I would likely be buying second hand, but may consider a lease.

I need something which will do a regular bi-weekly 500 mile round trip in a day (225 miles each way), with no charging facility when I arrive (clients property) and park up, but I could charge on the way (M54/M6/A14) Shrewsbury - Birmingham - Cambridge - Ipswich but don't really want to wait around for ages while it charges as it is already a long day.

Does Tesla still have the advantage on motorway charge points, or has that changed now? I heard they were opening their chargers to other EV users too.
    TIA
    I own an etron 55 and have been in a model Y, very different cars, etron is basically an electric q8, its a big german, heavy ev. Also terribly inefficient.

Its not really going to be suitable for that commute, the range isnt much more than 225 and while it charges fast youd need a strategically placed fast charge point to make that trip a one stop run.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    I own an etron 55 and have been in a model Y, very different cars, etron is basically an electric q8, its a big german, heavy ev. Also terribly inefficient.

Its not really going to be suitable for that commute, the range isnt much more than 225 and while it charges fast youd need a strategically placed fast charge point to make that trip a one stop run.
    Thank you.
    That is very helpful.

TIA
    Might be quite expensive to do that in an EV from fast charging. Could be better to see if there is an older model X with unlimited free supercharging still included.

The older Teslas with free supercharging don’t charger as fast as the newer ones. Might not be a dealbreaker for you.

You might want to have a play around with https://abetterrouteplanner.com/. Quite a good site and this is an example I’ve just done - ignore start and end.

TIA
    You might be in the PHEV sweet spot - maybe an x3 30e - 2/3 of my driving by miles is Electric according to the app.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Same here. Three years in a Tesla, 6 months and now getting back in one. For me, and it is a few year old used one, it was a no brainer.

EV world, welcome back

Pitch
    You bought it then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    If you buy outright and keep it long term, the residual value is not important. Whatever the future advances, if the car suits you now, it will probably still suit you going forward regardless of technological advancements. And let’s face it, most of the supposed advances over the last few years on all vehicles are a bit of a pain anyway.

I was reading some of your earlier posts and it’s really hard to believe that you were a closet EV fan back then!
    I’m sure you’re right - actually I’m hoping the IT interface becomes a bit less techy and a bit more basic, and I suspect more lightweight and cheap options will appear soon.
    Tbh I’m pretty open minded to change - not really the curmudgeon I may come across as on here! My main issue back then was the EV focus on what I perceived as the luxury rather showy and expensive segment which I have never had much interest in. Never been a huge car nut and not had deep enough pockets! But I also felt it was an odd direction for supposedly economical and cleaner transport. Now hatchbacks and less flashy/sporty options have emerged I’ve been able to try out an EV and for my circumstances - rural area, own drive, no massive journey undertaken regularly - it has been brilliant. My wife has learned to love the simplicity of the car, it’s a doddle to drive and the fuel savings have been immediate and easy to see.
    I still don’t like the feeling that I’m driving a computer around - as I can’t fix a computer like I can fix basic mechanicals - and that’s probably my biggest concern about buying an EV outright - what if that big screen goes pop? Although the same can be said for most ICE cars nowadays I guess. Our fiesta feels so old fashioned now - I drove with the windows down on a hot day recently and initially thought there was something wrong with the engine/drivetrain as it just seemed so noisy and I could feel and hear everything engaging as I changed gear. Rather than being exciting it seemed very quaint and retro and not in a good way tbh!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    You bought it then?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have finally found one with the spec I would have had new.

100D
    Midnight Silver Metalic
    21” graphite turbines
    Ultra white Vegan interior
    Enhanced Auto Pilot
    Adaptive Air Suspension
    Sub Zero Pack
    Immersive Sound
    Homelink
    Premium connectivity
    And it’s had the rears tinted.

Power is not as brutal as my Model 3 Performance but boy the quality and ride is a different class.

Very happy buddy.

Pitch

Master
    I have finally found one with the spec I would have had new.

100D
    Midnight Silver Metalic
    21” graphite turbines
    Ultra white Vegan interior
    Enhanced Auto Pilot
    Adaptive Air Suspension
    Sub Zero Pack
    Immersive Sound
    Homelink
    Premium connectivity
    And it’s had the rears tinted.

Power is not as brutal as my Model 3 Performance but boy the quality and ride is a different class.

Very happy buddy.

Pitch
    Sounds perfect. Many congrats.
    Pics please!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Sounds perfect. Many congrats.
    Pics please!
    Here goes buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    You might be in the PHEV sweet spot - maybe an x3 30e - 2/3 of my driving by miles is Electric according to the app.
    Interesting, as it was a regular X3 or X5 (diesel) I was looking at getting.
    I had always considered the PHEV's to be 'the worst of both worlds' but I guess things have moved on since then....

I had always considered the PHEV's to be 'the worst of both worlds' but I guess things have moved on since then....
    They are, but they can be suitable if your regular commute can be done (mainly or entirely) on electric but you have regular trips not conveniently done in an EV.

Master
    Here goes buddy.
    That looks cracking, the styling of it doesn’t seem to have aged at all over the years. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That looks cracking, the styling of it doesn’t seem to have aged at all over the years. Enjoy!
    I agree, love the colour too.

Interesting, as it was a regular X3 or X5 (diesel) I was looking at getting.
    I used to think of them as the worst of both worlds. Then I bought one.

My 30e is easily the most comfortable and economical car I’ve had. The next generation (due late this year) should have double the electric range. I’ll likely order one.

BMW begged me to switch to an ix3 last December - but the 2WD killed it for me.

If I could stretch to the x5 I would - that already has improved e only range.

Here goes buddy.
    That looks epic, congrats and enjoy.

Question is would you swap a newer 3 for an older S? That’s where it gets a bit tough for me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That looks epic, congrats and enjoy.

Question is would you swap a newer 3 for an older S? That’s where it gets a bit tough for me.
    Having driven both, I'd go for the older S