TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches of Espionage on influence

Watches of Espionage on influence

I thought this was an elegant piece on the state of watch media

https://www.watchesofespionage.com/b...in-watch-media

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Yes an excellent read and summary of the subtle and less subtle influence of watch manufacturers on the media and "influencers" I've lost count of the number of new You Tubers who have started out as objective and then gradually been drawn into the influence of brands or retailers through access to watches to review, then freebies and more, until they are basically part of the sales department for said brands/retailers.

I have a short attention span. I couldn’t get through all that. I presume it could be summarised as brands give the enthusiast press a treat, the enthusiast press gobbles it up and says the brand is great to its audience, the audience buys product. Brands then try to get the same result by other more subtle ways too.

Nothing new, just business.

Worth a read but you don't need a degree in CIA science to have figured this out.

I'm relatively new to watches and I don't think I've ever encountered an industry that's as fragile or opaque as watchmaking, but I suppose it's understandable when the whole thing is a house of cards which is largely creatively bankrupt and built on the idea of selling you something that's value makes no logical sense.

I was watching a YouTube video about the new BB41 last night by Bark and Jack (on an unrelated note, does anyone know where I might be able to buy a NATO strap?) and as soon as he said he hated the faux-rivets I immediately thought that it was said as an acceptable criticism to make to give the rest of his video some credibility.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    Worth a read but you don't need a degree in CIA science to have figured this out.

I'm relatively new to watches and I don't think I've ever encountered an industry that's as fragile or opaque as watchmaking, but I suppose it's understandable when the whole thing is a house of cards which is largely creatively bankrupt and built on the idea of selling you something that's value makes no logical sense.

I was watching a YouTube video about the new BB41 last night by Bark and Jack (on an unrelated note, does anyone know where I might be able to buy a NATO strap?) and as soon as he said he hated the faux-rivets I immediately thought that it was said as an acceptable criticism to make to give the rest of his video some credibility.
    Adrian (AKA Bark & Jack) sells his NATO straps on his website. No idea who makes them, pricing is mid-higher end I would say.

Not sure I take your point re the faux rivets on Tudors. I believe this has been a bone of contention for many and for some time now, coupled with the frustration of Tudor’s continued use of them on some of their products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's sort of my point. It's such a long standing and oft made complaint that there's no real risk to offending Tudor by saying it at this point.

Fairly niche site; enjoyable read though 👍