closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 'Tis the season to have flu

Craftsman

'Tis the season to have flu

Hands up, who feels as bad as me then!? Not only do i feel terrible but my dad went to the local GPs yesterday morning and all bar one of the doctors had gone home ill too! Saw on the news that flu is expected to rise massively this year, anyone know why then?

Master

Re: 'Tis the season to have flu

We've been vaccinated. My spouse through the health insurance because she has allergic asthma; myself voluntarily; it's not expensive anyway. Real flu is pretty serious and causes a lot of deaths each year, worldwide. So why take the risk?
    So, actually, I feel great. Sorry! :D

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y
    Hands up, who feels as bad as me then!? Not only do i feel terrible but my dad went to the local GPs yesterday morning and all bar one of the doctors had gone home ill too! Saw on the news that flu is expected to rise massively this year, anyone know why then?

Reduction in the effectiveness of the immune system because we try too hard prevent an exercise of it?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Had the jab too, last October. Epidemics are cyclical. No real predicting them though.

Still recovering from mine last week :cry:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Absolutely, feel dreadful, had a couple of days off last week with something similar.
    All the wards in the slave pit I work in are jam packed, and its the last thing you want if you are already ill.
    Had the innoculation, but the virus is adaptable. if you have the shakes, temp. up, keep away from other hu-mans unless you want to give it to them.

Had flu last year and felt the worst i have ever experienced,it totally incappacitated me to the point of nearly having an ambulace called,and im a reasonably fit late 30s man,god forbid you catch it when you are old or already sick,i send my best wishes to all those who are suffering.

Coincidentally it was 10 years ago today, Christmas Eve 1998.

Felt fine in the afternoon, but started feeling 'ropey' in the evening, even to the point that I declined going to the pub :shock:. By 4am Christmas Day I honestly felt that I was dying (I kid you not): raging temperature, sweating one minute shaking with cold the next, groaning with the pains shooting through my body...... Took two days before I even got out of bed, a week more before I was able to go out of the house and tbh it was the 2nd week of January before I felt well enough to get back to work.

Full-on flu is no joke.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

One proverbial test between a bad cold and flu is that if you're travelling along and see a £50 note in a field, with flu you're too ill to stop and pick it up.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier
    Quote Originally Posted by HEN12Y

Reduction in the effectiveness of the immune system because we try too hard prevent an exercise of it?

Best wishes,
    Bob
    That may well be the case with the flu jab. I know someone who had the experience of being made very sick indeed form the flu jab, and were not altogether recovered from some four years.

Personally, I would rather concentrate on other means of staying fit and healthy and fighting any flu of as and when (it's about us portions of the time, and it's a matter of succumbing to the virus, or not in the first place by infection).

Best wishes,
    AP:)

No flu here. One cold tip I found really works is this.

Get yourself a bottle of the Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray. If you remotely feel like you are coming down with a cold (indicated by the usual 12hr sore throat) start using the spray. It says on the bottle that it prevents the cold germs multiplying in the back of the nose/throat. I have used it for the last couple of years and I swear it works - it definitely prevents the cold taking a full hold. Really believe this is not just another cold remedy gimick.

Master

I have a flu jab each year in October, and this year for the first time ever I was VERY ill for a couple of days as a reaction.

Have been told that the jab gives you a mild dose of the strain (do not know if this is true), and if so, I have great sympathy for anyone who catches it.

The comment above about not being bothered to even pick up a £50 note is accurate!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by cam1210
    No flu here. One cold tip I found really works is this.

Get yourself a bottle of the Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray. If you remotely feel like you are coming down with a cold (indicated by the usual 12hr sore throat) start using the spray. It says on the bottle that it prevents the cold germs multiplying in the back of the nose/throat. I have used it for the last couple of years and I swear it works - it definitely prevents the cold taking a full hold. Really believe this is not just another cold remedy gimick.
    It may reduce the symptoms of a cold, but it would have little or no effect on influenza...

Sat next to a patient in GP's surgery few days ago who was coughing and spluttering and can now feel am getting a swollen/sore throat and hoping it does not turn out to be flu. Was at doc's ref a blocked ear which cannot be relieved until next Monday when have "syringe" appointment ...meantime sleep is poor and am deaf in left ear ...Several Christmas projects now on back burner until feel better ... if I tried to do them now might make a mess of them.

Looking forward to 2009 and all the challenges therein.

Wishing you a Supersonic :D Christmas and :D New Year to you all.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I'd like to thank Santa for the unexpected gift of feeling s**t he left me last night! :(
    Felt ropey all day - although a combination of lemsip, vicks, mulled wine, rum, more wine and Jack Daniels have helped to make me feel a bit better :drunken:

Master

Get yourself a bottle of the Vicks First Defence Nasal Spray

I second that,, excellent stuff