closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2008 - my year in watches - with photos

2008 - my year in watches - with photos

As we near the end of the year and all of my ’08 incomings have arrived and the final outgoing should be with its new owner, I thought I would take a moment to look back over my 2008 in watches.

Having lurked on the forum for many months I took the plunge and joined in March. As we all know too well this can only lead down the slippery slope to the sales corner.

The year began pretty much with me owning a single watch, a 21st birthday present, my Raymond Weil, which has been a stalwart with me for over a decade and which won’t be going anywhere even thought it doesn't get worn.

First purchase of the year was a new Seiko SKX009, which whilst a fabulous watch lasted a few months before being moved on.

My first sales corner visit ended up with my first purchase, the Glycine Lagunare 1000. Recently departed whilst gone she is not forgotten. That colour etched itself in my retinas!

Next up came the incredible Sinn 857 UTC. Again, regrettably so, flipped.

Then came the Monster, having heard the hype here it seemed that I had to have one. They hype was right. The perfect beater and holiday watch.

Next up was an Oris TT1. I ‘m not sure you can buy a better diver for the money. Simple classy watch, well made and very accurate. It made all previous watches redundant for a fair while. Flipped.

Uboat Classico 45mm. A brand that divides opinion and brings out many comments! I bought the watch on the Pont Vecchio in Florence which is a fabulous place to browse watches. I can’t fault it and it remains with me still.

A Seiko Frankenmonster sated the desire for a yellow watch. A sizeable beast it ended up flipped.

My lust for PVD was further sated with another Glycine, the LE blackjack incursore. I love the black dial and red highlights. Custom toshi seems made for it.

A G1 satisfied the need to try an Ocean before moving on as it couldn’t compete with the Sinn 857 for wrist time.

Months spent lusting after a Glycine LCC3000 in photos resulted in grabbing one of the only UK ones on launch day. Pure quality.

Next a Seiko MM300. Nothing much needs to be said except the hype on these is justified.

Then in quick succession arrived three of my most desired watches which were all that I expected and more - an Omega X33, IWC 3536 ti and Omega 2254.50.

Next up was my first Precista, the 50LE. I love the no radiation symbol now!

A Sinn U Black filled the hole left by my 857 and is nothing short of stunning, IMHO!

Finally to round off the year, and what a way to round it off, came the one and only PRS-2 Dreadnought.

So today, as we near the end of the year, my collection stands like this (with the RW in a drawer along with a few other bits and pieces). I wonder what 2009 will bring.

I’ve learnt many things so far from TZ-UK and it’s many esteemed members for which I am most grateful. But in relation to my small collection I’ve learnt the following:

I like divers watches
    I like PVD watches
    I like black faced watches
    I like bracelets, natos (cheers Eddie), rubber straps, leather straps (cheers Rich), Kevlar (cheers Duncan), in fact I like straps almost as much as I like watches
    I prefer big watches
    I prefer stainless watches, but oh how nice is titanium
    I don’t like cyclops
    Eddie makes fantastic watches
    I don’t have a Rolex, didn’t seem to like em much, but I now feel a real pull towards a Sub ND or a Seadweller (next year perhaps)
    You can throw anything at a G shock, literally
    You don’t have to spend thousands to get a great watch
    Jussi writes a great review (made me need a 3536)
    Nalu takes a mean photo (made me need a PRS50)

I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. Thanks for looking and thanks again Eddie and TZ-UK for such a great forum.

Jay.

Re: 2008 - my year in watches - with photos

Great post Jay - guess the bug has well and truly bitten :bigsmurf:

Have a good Xmas and New Year :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Great post Jay - guess the bug has well and truly bitten :bigsmurf:

Have a good Xmas and New Year :)
    Cheers Chris, it certainly has :)

Banned

You've had a busy year :lol:

Congratulations on a fine year of purchases, hope you enjoy next year as much.

Chris

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Nice Jay, a good year for you mate , cool collection bud. 8)

Cool collection, I know mine wont be as nice when I have completed my first year.

Master

Nice one :thumbup:

Hey! nice collection that sinn u gets me very hot and bothered

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Bloody right - makes me look like a complete slacker.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Nice post Jay, and interesting to see what's come in (and out) during the past 12 months.

BTW - If 2009 sees any chance of the MM300 leaving drop me a PM? :wink:

Master

Great collection, but do tell - where did you get that storage case???

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    Nice post Jay, and interesting to see what's come in (and out) during the past 12 months.

BTW - If 2009 sees any chance of the MM300 leaving drop me a PM? :wink:
    Cheers Rich.

'you never know' !!! Although i have to say it's quite unlikely :D

Thanks for all the comments guys. Whilst i've been nowhere near reaching the heights of flipping scaled by some of you here i've enjoyed making my way through to the final set you see here.

Each one has something special about it that makes me smile and enjoy it, although a friend this evening did say that they all looked the same :D :D . My only problem is that i keep telling myself that i should get the number down to about 6 or 7, realistically i doubt that will happen however. Someone else also told me I needed a few more to fill the gaps in the case!!

Speaking of which the case I picked up today on a half price offer from Maplin, the electronics store, at a bargain £14.99.

Thanks again,

Jay.

Craftsman

A very nice collection you have there sir!! 8)

A great post Jay - you have it bad (not quite as bad as me though ;))

I am lucky enough to own one of the watches in the above 'flipped' category and I'm grateful to you as it's a belter.

Here's to enjoying all your watches in good health and good company for many years to come.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Bloody right - makes me look like a complete slacker.
    + 1 - three buys and one sale.

Wow! That is amazing year and it looks like you got the bug badly in a short space of time! Hope 2009 is just as interesting! :shock: 8)

Yikes, what a year! What watches! I must be doing something wrong... :D