closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: So I started the scriptwriting course ...

So I started the scriptwriting course ...

... but only managed three of the six TV scriptwriting workshop sessions. It was a whole new experience and very stressful trying to meet deadlines and produce a script in the required format. And my first effort just did not make the grade even though the tutor thought I had a good sense of "time and place" . The decision to abandon the course was made after I analysed the "Wild Heart" drama episode on ITV last night and tried to count the numbers of scenes in each part of the episode. In the first two parts I lost count and then in the third part 21.00 - 21.15 hrs using 5 bar gates ie [s:8iyanzww]IIII[/s:8iyanzww] [s:8iyanzww]IIII[/s:8iyanzww] I counted over 50 scenes in 15 minutes. It was a fairly fast moving plot but even something a bit slower requires great skill to weave a sense of time and compress it into a fifteen minute or less slot between adverts ... and still keep viewers interested ie without them switching channels. And trying to document the scene and character descriptions is no easy task .. plus maintain continuity. Have come to the conclusion that scriptwriters really do earn their ££$$ ... it is a very skilled and difficult art-form.

Still plan to pursue writing interests but not drama.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master

Re: So I started the scriptwriting course ...

when i left school i decidedto write a book, i got 3 chapters and gave up, those 3 chapters took nearly 2 months of solid work, and were re-written about 12 times each, writting is difficult, especially when you only got a C GCSE at english :lol:
    Thanks,
    Andrew

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    ... but only managed three of the six TV scriptwriting workshop sessions. It was a whole new experience and very stressful trying to meet deadlines and produce a script in the required format. And my first effort just did not make the grade even though the tutor thought I had a good sense of "time and place" . The decision to abandon the course was made after I analysed the "Wild Heart" drama episode on ITV last night and tried to count the numbers of scenes in each part of the episode. In the first two parts I lost count and then in the third part 21.00 - 21.15 hrs using 5 bar gates ie [s:3w1vk377]IIII[/s:3w1vk377] [s:3w1vk377]IIII[/s:3w1vk377] I counted over 50 scenes in 15 minutes. It was a fairly fast moving plot but even something a bit slower requires great skill to weave a sense of time and compress it into a fifteen minute or less slot between adverts ... and still keep viewers interested ie without them switching channels. And trying to document the scene and character descriptions is no easy task .. plus maintain continuity. Have come to the conclusion that scriptwriters really do earn their ££$$ ... it is a very skilled and difficult art-form.

Still plan to pursue writing interests but not drama.

Cheers

dunk
    Some certainly do.

Others, I not so sure about...

And, are you talking about scenes, or shots? I can't believe their would be 50+ scenes in a 15 minute segment, but 50+ shots, would be about right.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    Some certainly do.

Others, I not so sure about...

And, are you talking about scenes, or shots? I can't believe their would be 50+ scenes in a 15 minute segment, but 50+ shots, would be about right.
    There were 50 ish ... each different place is a different scene ... surprising how they mount up ... some only last seconds ... not all scenes have dialogue ... it is all about continuity and conveying a sense if time.

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Stick with Harold Pinter: 3 hours, 1 scene ("context is everything and nothing to my plays.") 3,745 pregnant silences...

:D

Journeyman
    London - just follow the sounds of champagne corks and screaming.

You might want to try your hand at radio instead - I loved it, and plan to do more this year.

Craftsman

How about editorials for magazines or newspapers - surely that has to be the easiest of the lot - a few paragraphs and one topic :D

Thomas Reid

The play's the thing ....

Best wishes,
    Bob