closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: the real bond nato?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

the real bond nato?

has anyone seen this? supposedly the real bond nato has been discovered and is soon available :lol:

http://www.corvuswatch.com/index.asp?page=watchbands

cheers
    mike :wink:

Re: the real bond nato?

Yeah, spotted that but didn't want to post a link to that strange site... not sure about that though, they are all going by a bloody screen shot of a movie made years ago and everyone has argued over what the actual colours should be!

Yes saw it, the fellow is a well known and well respected member of the military watch forum. However I'm not sure linking to a seller of watch straps on a forum run and financially supported by a seller of watch straps is particularly courteous.

Journeyman

US$32 seems like an awful lot to charge for a NATO!

Craftsman
    In a world without walls, who needs a location?

I just had a closer look at the picture noticed a mismatch between the strap and watch lug-width. It is either they do not have a 20mm NATO then, or the film-makers (if indeed the picture is taken off the film) could not find one in time for the shoot and used an 18mm strap in lieu.

Would it be too far fetched to suggest that they have photoshopped that image to match the colours they actually want to sell us.....?

Just a thought.

Jim

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    Yes saw it, the fellow is a well known and well respected member of the military watch forum. However I'm not sure linking to a seller of watch straps on a forum run and financially supported by a seller of watch straps is particularly courteous.
    firstly i am sure eddie will remove the post if he wants its his forum, no disrespect to him was meant
    secondly wind your neck in, no need to shoot the messenger, it was a harmless post as most on here are interested in the bond nato and its history.

or do you want to start a personal attack?

cheers

Isn't the image a little bit... well... photoshopped :evil: :evil: :evil:

See:

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

I like the fact that they are suggesting that you could buy the 18mm undersized NATO for your Submariner for that genuine crap look of the film.

I'll leave people who aren't colour blind to discuss the finer details of the strap colour, but to me it looks like a black and grey strap like what I'm wearing right now.

I know Eddie's discussed this not too far back and I think concluded that any redness is probably bleeding on the film, but presumably this NEW IMPROVED GENUINE BOND NATO STRAP NOT LIKE THOSE CHEAP IMITATIONS HONEST GUV is much better in every way and we have all been so wrong in the past.

Master

:lol: :lol:

Master

Well as Nato-strap fanatic I honour the effort ( and the idea to find a market-niche)
    but 32$ is a "sportive" price tag and some part of the description sound not correct:

G10” NATO style
    ...This style includes the extra nylon strap “keeper” that locks the watch onto the strap in
    case of the failure of one of the springbars.

“RAF” style

These are the same as the G10 NATO style, except they do not have the extra nylon “keeper.”
    Obviously, the "keeper" prevents the slipping off the watch on the strap (putting it on, fixing it on your
    webbing etc.), but at a failure of one spring bar, the watch will always flip.

Also, the retainer should be made of fabric as well - I remember someone (on MWR?) showing a picture of Connery
    laying lascivious :twisted: around showing the underside of the band thus implying that it was not a Nato-strap
    at all used in the films but a standard "webbing" strap which could be sourced in (American?) warehouses at the time.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by chansk
    I just had a closer look at the picture noticed a mismatch between the strap and watch lug-width. It is either they do not have a 20mm NATO then, or the film-makers (if indeed the picture is taken off the film) could not find one in time for the shoot and used an 18mm strap in lieu.
    Agree...that sure is a poor fitting nato strap on that Rolex...the watch must have been sliding all over the place. :o

Of course, looking at Eddie's explanation (and pictures) we get this:

The colours are actually the genuine regimental colours of the General Service Corps, and it is appropriate that a spy would be attached to the General Service Corps. Military (Army) personnel employed on covert intelligence duties were seconded to the GSC whilst employed on these duties but Commander Bond RN would never have been seconded to the GSC as a Royal Navy officer. They are also the colours of a London Gentleman's private club.

Doesn't look to be any red in there to me!

Cheers,

I've always thought that the red was an effect of the lighting but now I'm not so sure.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I've always thought that the red was an effect of the lighting but now I'm not so sure.

Eddie
    classic :D :D

i do believe though that with photoshop/lighting you could make the colour into what you wanted it to be!

cheers

I like the idea of the different colours, regardless of whether this is genuine or a bit suspect. I think it'll look good.

But I am sure that they will not be producing the real thing.

The reason is that it isn't an 18mm strap on 20mm lugs. Its 16mm.

Even I can put a ruler on my screen and see that (on mine anyway) there is 8mm of gap and just over 30mm of strap. Ratio of about 1 to 4.

4mm gap and 16mm strap, that works, 1 to 4. For an 18mm it would be 2mm gap and 18mm strap (1 to 9 ratio), which it clearly isn't

It doesn't look like they will be producing a 16mm version either. 18mm minimum (that's a lot of ms).

Oh well, so much for the "real" look

Cheers
    D

Master

I hope the quality of the straps is better than his standard of English!

Journeyman
    London - just follow the sounds of champagne corks and screaming.

I'd be more impressed if he actually had something other than computer mock-ups to show.

Master

Who gives a ......

:lol:

maseman

Putting aside the possibly colour inaccuracies, it does look good if a little pricey!
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

I find the account that Eddie gives pretty convincing, but the new 'real version' with the red stripes looks OK in my opinion...
    -flugzeit

Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    Who gives a ......
    I think you nailed it there :D

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    firstly i am sure eddie will remove the post if he wants its his forum, no disrespect to him was meant
    secondly wind your neck in, no need to shoot the messenger, it was a harmless post as most on here are interested in the bond nato and its history.

cheers
    This forum is run, maintained and paid for (at a not inconsiderable cost, I imagine) by someone who makes his living selling watches and watchstraps. It never fails to amaze me how many people come here to bang on about their wonderful new RLT or Christopher Ward watch - Eddie's direct competitors. Do you think anyone would be allowed to extol the virtues of Precista watches on a manufacturer's forum at WUS? And why not go to the Jaeger Le Coultre forum to post an opinion of IWC watches and try your 'don't shoot the messenger' bollocks with them.
    Eddie will not delete the post because it is not his way, which is why the users here should exercise a little common sense in what they post.
    My comment was just an observation put politely, not a personal attack. However you think you can tell me to wind my neck in? OK, this is me winding my neck in; how stupid, how ignorant, how utterly lacking in common sense to do you have to be to come on this forum and post a link to a direct competitor? Have you got cowshit for brains. Wind my neck in? Rearrange these words into a well-known phrase or saying 'yourself and you screw go tosser cheeky'.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408

cheers
    This forum is run, maintained and paid for (at a not inconsiderable cost, I imagine) by someone who makes his living selling watches and watchstraps. It never fails to amaze me how many people come here to bang on about their wonderful new RLT or Christopher Ward watch - Eddie's direct competitors. Do you think anyone would be allowed to extol the virtues of Precista watches on a manufacturer's forum at WUS? And why not go to the Jaeger Le Coultre forum to post an opinion of IWC watches and try your 'don't shoot the messenger' bollocks with them.
    Eddie will not delete the post because it is not his way, which is why the users here should exercise a little common sense in what they post.
    My comment was just an observation put politely, not a personal attack. However you think you can tell me to wind my neck in? OK, this is me winding my neck in; how stupid, how ignorant, how utterly lacking in common sense to do you have to be to come on this forum and post a link to a direct competitor? Have you got cowshit for brains. Wind my neck in? Rearrange these words into a well-known phrase or saying 'yourself and you screw go tosser cheeky'.
    i seem to remember its eddies forum so he can moderate it how he wants he doesnt need tossers like you to try to strong arm it for him.

as for the rest of your shit you posted, big man behind a computer.

cheers

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sweets
    I like the idea of the different colours, regardless of whether this is genuine or a bit suspect. I think it'll look good.

But I am sure that they will not be producing the real thing.

The reason is that it isn't an 18mm strap on 20mm lugs. Its 16mm.
    Agreed. I've put enough 18mm straps on a watch with 20mm lugs to know what a 2mm gaps looks like, and that ain't one :)

All this fiddling about with arguable threads of colour from a 47-year-old film, and they miss the basics like that. Mind you, a 16mm strap on a 20mm watch can look nothing other than hopelessly mismatched, even if it is cinematograhically accurate, in a weird, sort of OCD way.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

I was going to give everyone a heads up about this a few days ago but thought, as a newbie, I'd be crushed for doing so. Great looking strap though.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

While we on about straps...

What are the chances of some more regular NATO-style Speedbird straps?

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

Every chance but the lead time is now 13 weeks instead of the 6 - 8 weeks last year.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Have you got cowshit for brains.
    :D :D :D

karl

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii

Every chance but the lead time is now 13 weeks instead of the 6 - 8 weeks last year.

Eddie
    Thanks!

Master

Oh that's nice! I'll get one for my boozing watch so the vomit won't show on the strap.. Oh wait, it's worth more than my boozing watch :drunken:

Why doesn't someone just ask Sean Connery. Simple.

Now for the tricky part - actually being in a position to ask Sean Connery

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy

He won't remember, he was doing other things back in the 60s.

Eddie

Eddie
    You mean the a*al thing? :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973

Eddie
    When you're alone
    And life is making you lonely,
    You can always go ..............
    Eddie

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    When you're alone
    And life is making you lonely,
    You can always go ..............
    Eddie
    LOL forgot about that, :D

cheers

I caddied for him in 1975 at Coombe Hill Golf Club in Kingston - should have asked him them - he might have remembered :) - as if a 15 year old Yuoff cared about the strap on a watch he worn in a bond movie - eh - I did not even ask for a autograph - how cool was I (and stupid!)

Thinking about it - he arrived on the first tee late, was wearing a white tee shirt with half his breakfast down it - and they had a very strict dress code, but was still allowed to play!! He was not wearing a watch of any kind. I do remember him having very hairy arms. Bloody good golfer - played of 2.

Nice bloke - unlike Brucey and Tarbuck - who were both complete to**ers. Especially Tarbuck.

Andy.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Does anybody know a source for a 16mm Bond Nato? I've done my best with Google but so far a nil return. I'm not trying to re-produce the Connery look - it's for a watch with 16mm lugs.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

Isn't the real story about the Sean Connery Rolex that Connery did not wear a watch at all but the script dictated so and he was handed that Rolex off the directors wrist?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    Isn't the real story about the Sean Connery Rolex that Connery did not wear a watch at all but the script dictated so and he was handed that Rolex off the directors wrist?
    yep i think the story goes that a watch was needed and cubby broccoli took his off and gave it to sean.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne
    Does anybody know a source for a 16mm Bond Nato? I've done my best with Google but so far a nil return. I'm not trying to re-produce the Connery look - it's for a watch with 16mm lugs.

Sent you a PM.

That watch seller is taking a risk by putting that James Bond type of graphic on his site. Very foolish.

Interesting point, if a bit strongly put. Allow me to take the opposite view, if I may. I actually like when other watch makers are mentioned here. After visiting that site I like the guy's BP homage but I can get an MKII for half the price, or even get Eddie's PRS50 for a better price.

Even though the parent of this thread was not mine, you might be happy to know that I have talked up Eddie's watches on Timezone and many other forums. His watches deserve good mention. If any of that has added to any sales, and I think that it has based on messages from people who viewed my posts and impressions only to order a Precista and then mailed me to let me know and thank me for mentioning him because they were ignorant about Timefactors until that point, then that is a good thing. I have some of his watches so I can talk them up. ;-)

I understand how you come to those conclusions though. On the surface it does seem rude and inconsiderate, but knowing Eddie's price/performance ratio, he really is hard to beat.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by "worlok
    I understand how you come to those conclusions though. On the surface it does seem rude and inconsiderate, but knowing Eddie's price/performance ratio, he really is hard to beat.
    Could not agree more. Censorship actually hurts sales and makes people suspicious.
    I think it is discussions like these that will bring additional sales to Eddie. The other watch forums have to censor as their products can not stand against the competition. If one has a genuine quality product at the right price competition will do no harm at all. Eddie's products are top of the range and probably the best value in the industry.

Craftsman

Isn't the image a little bit... well... photoshopped :evil: :evil: :evil:

See:

not that i care , this guy is " made up " ? which is a bit sad. but those 2 pics look the same to me :? if you do look.

David