closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Homage watches

Journeyman

Homage watches

I was thinking of buying an homage panerai watch...
    my hesitation is in the concept f the whole homage thing...let me explain
    an homage watch is a watch produced in memory of the original prototype with slight variations either aesthetic (design wise) or in the caliber used
    There are several people that priduce homage panerai watches using swiss ETA movements ...do u consider those replicas

Let me just clarify that i am against replica watches...

regards
    ioann12 :D

Master

Re: Homage watches

Even in my short time here, this has been discussed many times, so have a search.

The answers will depend on your point of view.

Broadly speaking, if a 3rd party watch looks like a given brand, and carries that brands logo etc, then it's a fake/replica...

If it looks like one, but carries its own branding or no branding, then generally it's considered a hommage, or tribute...

Some people like neither though!! :)

Journeyman

thanks tooks
    i ll have a more thorough search

its a tricky subject i must say ..... :D

oh the old fake/tribute argument again :roll:

Journeyman

For me this is clear; get the real thing every time and if you can't afford it save or accept it's out of your league, your just kidding yourself on otherwise. It's like these guys who buy an only MR2, slam a body kit on it and call it a Ferrari 355, garbage . Of course many would disagree with me .

Master

Seriously guys, this has been discussed millions of times!

Alex

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Nothing wrong with a Good Homage, look at some of our very own host's pieces, quite a few now commanding much higher prices than when initially sold new. The PRS 20 Italian would be my choice, LE if you can get one. My experience with the cheaper chinese varients is that they are OK but you will get bored with them .

agree 100% about getting bored with them

Master

Homage is still kind of a fake/replica IMHO.
    Original shouldn't be copied as it makes a bad name to the original (sometimes) ...and then you wear a Rolex or an Omega and you feel like everybody thinks it's a cheap fake-and people usually do.

To me if an hommage is going under its own brand and it is put together with care by people who know and love watches then it is a legitimate purchase in its own right.

Its not just the outward design features that make a precista or a Mkii worth buying, its how they are put together and whats going on under the bonnet.

i think its rude to roll your eyes :roll: :roll: :roll: just cos someone starts thread thats been done to death many times. give the guy a break ffs. as my mum used to say - if you cant say anything nice....
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

I believe a homage should pay tribute to something that is no longer in existance or out of production

Journeyman

hmmm i dont know guys ....
    getting more confused
    the idea of a hommage appeals to me but also the fact that people will think that i wear a replica just turns me off

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sonyman
    oh the old fake/tribute argument again :roll:

:laughing3: It's been done to death in your 18 days of posting :laughing6:

Most watches take design leads from others.

Before you pay 5 to 15K for a 44mm Panny, it would be nice to know just how it might wear on you for a few weeks, no? Or, is it worth saving for etc... I want a Big Pilot one day, but for the last few days I've been falling in love with my 47mm $350 Steinhart. On the other hand, I have a very good hommage of the PAM 249--I'll never own the original; the watch is unatractive to me. It was certainly wort $400 to find out--and I can sell it for almost that much as it is well built. You could want an original piece of some sort from the 50's, and more than likely you'll get a fake, or buy a nice homage--built to better specs (what Eddie does as far as I've seen) and if you get lucky to run into an authentic piece at the right price from a reliable seller, you'd be much better informed on it's details and be a better judge of value. I just don't see the downside to a good homage; I own quite a few of them and quite a few originals (if you want to call the new Panerai original)--and wear my homages much more often as I'm almost careless while wearing them. Good luck.

Craftsman

here is my homage :

I don't tend to wear it much nowadays though. Would love to know if the movement is actually a swiss one as stamped on it.