closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pickled Onions

Pickled Onions

Hi All,

My Grandad made the most amazing pickled onions ever and it was one of the highlights of any meal at my Gran and Grandads when he 'allowed' us one of his stash along with his home grown radishes. Sadly when he passed the onions were no more, my mum makes her own but they are still not quite there although they are pretty close.

So for years the hunt has been on for a suitable replacement and I think I've found a strong contender ............ BARRY NORMAN the film critic !!!! has his own that you can buy.

http://www.pickleodeon.co.uk/pickles.html

These onions are fantastic eye watering globes of lovlieness and if you like yer pickles you have to try these. My four year old daughter loves them as well (she only gets a quarter though :lol: )

Now I just need to find a piccalilli that can match !!!!!!!!!! Anyone got any suggestions ?????????????????

Cheers

Simon
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Re: Pickled Onions

Damn. Now I really, really want a pickled onion!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Can't help with a piccalilly recipe, but my other half makes brilliant Pickled walnuts.

We do get some funny looks from the locals though - why are the crazy English picking walnuts in June :shock:

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    Can't help with a piccalilly recipe, but my other half makes brilliant Pickled walnuts.

We do get some funny looks from the locals though - why are the crazy English picking walnuts in June :shock:

Why are the crazy anybody pickling walnuts at all!!!!

Master

you ought to have a word with Craig/jimmerjammer on here Simon, he's related to Barry and gets these for free.

karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    you ought to have a word with Craig/jimmerjammer on here Simon, he's related to Barry and gets these for free.

karl

Really ???? Wow, now getting top end pickled onions free must be sweeeeeet (as well as being related to Barry Norman) :D :D I don't think I could ever get sick of eating these !!!!

BTW a wee tip, once you have eaten all the onions, chop up a prepared beetroot and bung it in the jar with the remaining pickle, leave for a couple of days, and you get amazing Barry Norman esq pickled beetroot.

Cheers

Simon
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Nice with fisn 'n' chips yer pickled onion. I also do my own pickled eggs, yummy! :)
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Quote Originally Posted by catflem
    Why are the crazy anybody pickling walnuts at all!!!!
    They have to be picked and pickled before the shells harden, that's why you've got to get up a tree and pick them in June. Hence why we get funny looks from the locals (we're Brits living in France).

For the curious amongst you, they sell Pickled walnuts in Sainsbury's, but they're expensive for what you get. The wife makes hers using cider vinegar, they're much better, and a fraction of the price.

The best pickled onions and piccalilli used to be made by Cunninghams in Sheffield. Since the company was taken over and production moved to Lancashire it's just not the same. My uncle used to make some mean pickled shallots but to be honest, I love thinly sliced onion left it in a dish of vinegar for a few hours before eating.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

:shock: :pukeleft:
    Hate pickled anything, can't stand the smell.
    Your all extremely strange and must have horrendous breath :lol:
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by dawson2k5
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Says the man who has a kebab and extra chilli sauce on his way home from the pub. :lol:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Thanks,
    Andrew

I can't stand pickles either!

Master

Use the left over pickled onion vinegar on Chips.............. Gorgeous.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Says the man who has a kebab and extra chilli sauce on his way home from the pub. :lol:

Eddie

i have them when i'm sober too, now that is weird :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Journeyman

My mum and my aunty (her sister) have a competition every Christmas to make the best batch of pickled onions. We are a family that is truly blessed - they make billions of the things, one year spiced, one year sweet.....who knows

but to be honest, I love thinly sliced onion left it in a dish of vinegar for a few hours before eating.

Eddie
    Eddie - is this a Forces thing? My Dad used to love onions this way. Every Sunday dinner there was always a bowl with some onions in vinegar on the table

Lee

Journeyman

My grandmother used to slice beetroot and spring onins into a bowl and then cover in sweet vinegar for a day or so. It used to go like wildfire when it came out of the larder.

There are very few foodstuff that cannot be improved by either

a - battering & deep frying,
    b - pickling or
    c - adding a gurt dollop of clotted cream

Or possibly all 3...

David

(actually, might just revise that assertion in relation to cheese, but I'll let you know once Ive deep fried a bit of gorgonzola)

:D

Quote Originally Posted by dogpuf
    but to be honest, I love thinly sliced onion left it in a dish of vinegar for a few hours before eating.

Eddie
    Eddie - is this a Forces thing? My Dad used to love onions this way. Every Sunday dinner there was always a bowl with some onions in vinegar on the table

Lee
    I don't think so, I remember my grandmother having a bowl of onion and cucumber in vinegar on the table. I just don't like cucumber :wink: . Onions like this are wonderful with roast beef and Yorkshire pud.

Eddie