closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek OK, but QUARTZ ???

Blog Entries

Patek OK, but QUARTZ ???

Never realised PP actually produce a quartz watch ?
    This is a serious seller !!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ULTRA-RARE-PP-Ref ... otohosting

Grand Master

Re: Patek OK, but QUARTZ ???

A few of the big names made quartz watches in the 70s/early 80s as the quartz movements were the 'in thing' at the time. Personally i don't see the point in it, if you want a quartz then you can get a great one for pennies, the reason you buy a PP or any other high end brand is because of the work they put into their movements, without that who in their right mind would pay 3k or more for a quartz?

The Patek Twenty-Four Ladies watches are quartz. I should know because the Wife is after one.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    A few of the big names made quartz watches in the 70s/early 80s as the quartz movements were the 'in thing' at the time. Personally i don't see the point in it, if you want a quartz then you can get a great one for pennies, the reason you buy a PP or any other high end brand is because of the work they put into their movements, without that who in their right mind would pay 3k or more for a quartz?
    Actually there is a lot of difference between the "pennies" quartz and the high end stuff and a lot of nerdy people over at WUS high end quartz forum would disagree with you.

Rather as there is a lot of difference between the cheap £2 chinese mechanical movements and the better quality stuff.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I couldn't agree more. I mean, having a quartz Patek is a bit like a decaf espresso or alcohol-free whisky. Kind of defeats the object :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chaos
    I couldn't agree more. I mean, having a quartz Patek is a bit like a decaf espresso or alcohol-free whisky. Kind of defeats the object :lol:
    Or perhaps some people with plenty of money want a quality watch without having to wind/wear it all of the time.

Many people see quartz as an advantage.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I think that many ocean liners and tankers had Patek Phillipe quartz ship chronometers back in the 70's.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

A couple of years ago I bought my wife her grail, an 18k Reverso.

Being me a WIS, I sugested she get a manual, she wasn't too keen, wanted a quartz.
    Being me a WIS, I talked her into a manual.

After a week of so she was winding it and the stem fell out.........

'THAT'S IT' she cried 'NO MORE WIND UP ONES FOR ME, THE REPLACEMENT WILL BE A QUARTZ, LIKE I WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE'.

The replacement came a few weeks later, yes a quartz. The price refund was minimal....Ho-Hum.

Dave

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Yes, PP did make a quartz, and it was given the model number 3930, (movement Caliber E 23 C, a seven jewel quartz), and it is indeed rare.

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ID=5130527

Another reason why the quartz movement was used was because the movement is very thin, leading to a very reliable, accurate thin watch. (Mechanicals that were made excetionally thin were much more delicate than their thicker counterparts.)

Patek Philipp were also one of the members of CEH, who developed the worlds first commercially available quartz watch..( no arguments from Seiko fanatics please...yours was just an extended lab experiment... :) )

The Beta 21....( Patek Philipp Cercle d'Or ) also found in the early Rolex Oysterquartz, IWC Quartz Electronic and the more well known Omega Electroquartz...and a few others such as Enicar, Rado,Doxa, Favre-Leuba, Longines, Zodiac, Eberhard, Ebel, Juvenia, , Cyma...not sure of the identity of all the 21 companies that took part. and if indeed that all actually produced a model....

You can buy a decent Omega SS one for around £400-600...or 18k for around £2000-3500, a PP one, if you can find such a beast will be more like £15,000 +....ouch!!

Grand Master

[quote=Neil.C]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Captain Chaos":2ino5vcl
    Or perhaps some people with plenty of money want a quality watch without having to wind/wear it all of the time.

Many people see quartz as an advantage.[/quote:2ino5vcl]

I do see the advantages of quartz, but not with PP doing it, the reason for getting a PP is the simple elegance and the hand made intricate movements, putting a quartz in there deflates that thinking.

Not all quartz are created equal.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

^
    Beautiful.
    You do know what's going to happen when you unscrew the first of the battery clip screws, don't you? :(

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    ^
    Beautiful.
    You do know what's going to happen when you unscrew the first of the battery clip screws, don't you? :(
    Yep, happens every time to me. :lol:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

The cover acts as a spring? Screw hunting in the living room carpet? :D

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    ^
    Beautiful.
    Yep, happens every time to me. :lol:

Eddie
    what happens ? craig

When I changed the battery in my PRS-17C, held in by the same clip arrangement, the tiny screw - 1.5x1mm - simply sprang out and away. Twice. I did find it in the carpet (twice) and a near-coronary later I manage to do the job.
    It leads me to wonder how many dealers simply put the back on and ignore the screw they've just lost. There has to be a good way dof doing it.

Grand Master

A few of the big names made quartz watches in the 70s/early 80s as the quartz movements were the 'in thing' at the time. Personally i don't see the point in it, if you want a quartz then you can get a great one for pennies
    Pennies? Nah. Let us know how you get on trying to price a thermo'd twin-display quartz (the one Breitling has dibs on) or a replacement Oysterquartz movement.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

'High end' quartz is ... er ... high end. A quartz Patek Philippe really doesn't have the movement from a 'free with 5 gallons of Super Unleaded' in it.

Indeed, some of the Jaeger-LeCoultre movements - the largest source of high end quartz - are joys to behold. Relatively new technology married to old school horology.

There has to be a good way dof doing it.
    There is. You turn the first screw a bit, then the other one a bit. Turn the first screw a bit, then the other one a bit, etc., until the cover comes off. Simple really. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoughie0
    There has to be a good way dof doing it.
    There is. You turn the first screw a bit, then the other one a bit. Turn the first screw a bit, then the other one a bit, etc., until the cover comes off. Simple really. :)
    Or you carry out the operation in a large plastic bag so that the screw doesn't disappear.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Or you carry out the operation in a large plastic bag so that the screw doesn't disappear.

Eddie
    A piece of advice you posted here some time ago - and one that I've adopted with great success! :thumbup:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Given there seems to be quite a bit of Quartz knowledge on here, I'm waiting for a 70s 18kt Zenith quartz to arrive in the post. Roughly where will the movement sit in the quality hierarchy?