closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SB III heresy?

Craftsman

SB III heresy?

I love everything about the Speedbird III, except the hands...don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them but I know that the square end on the hour hand would start to bug me in small way. Would it be bad form to get the hands changed, or has anyone else done something similar (that they're prepared to admit to!)?

Re: SB III heresy?

BURN HIM!!

Hands are great, whole watch is great... if you buy one you're strictly forbidden from "modifying" it ;)

Seriously though, don't know anyone who has done this.

Also I think you'd have probs to find the proper sized hands. The seconds hand on the SBIII is one of the longest (and coolest) in wristwatch history :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I can't agree. The Speedbird III manages two things perfectly :!: : (1) do justice to a deep and highly esteemed tradition, and (2) establish itself as a separate, beautiful, and beautifully executed branch of that tradition. :)

Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom
    I love everything about the Speedbird III, except the hands...don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them but I know that the square end on the hour hand would start to bug me in small way. Would it be bad form to get the hands changed, or has anyone else done something similar (that they're prepared to admit to!)?
    I totally agree, and some. I personally can't abide parallel square ended hands. This has stopped me from considering a fair few otherwise excellent watches, most recently an IWC MARK XV on SC.
    F.T.F.A.

You could always buy yourself a MK-XVI and rob the hands of if :D

The squared-off hour hand (and pointy minute hand) is a specific design feature and I am hoping to see more of it in future of Eddie's watches.

I am just looking at the PRS-22 passaround ... and the minute hand is ½ a mm too long. I am very fussy about the length of minute hands and I like them half-way into the minute track. On the 22 is on the outer edge of the track. On the other hand, being long and thin, it subdivides the 5 minute intervals very cleanly and precisely. It's a very easy watch to read.

john
    Every watch a story.

Hmm, so that is what has been bothering me about the SB, I had been looking to get it to wear on a black Rhino, the sort of dressy Explorer look but had been unable to buy it as I just didn't switch on from the pictures.

Currently have my SCVS003 on the Rhino and must say it is doing a fine job of scratching the explorer itch, when are we expecting the Vanguard again......................

If you think the SB III is a great watch offering great VFM, then just change the hands to something you like.

Try Noah Fuller's site. Just Google his name. Loads of differnet hands there, some for Seiko, some fot ETA movement.

I'm not a big fan of the hands either, but I understand and appreciate why they're "right" for this piece.

It's the sterile dial and compulsory bracelet that puts me off buying one. :(

I think the hands are cool,
    the shape is what you'd expect for that type of fliger but I do have to say that I find the lume very poor on the minute hand.
    it is too thin!
    If it was as thick as the hour hand it might be fine, but... it isn't.
    it's a bit of a bug really.
    shape is cool and I love they are not polished but silver painted, itìs distinctive and goes well with the brushed case.

however, lume is still too low, especially compared to the dial.

i dont like the hands either :roll:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Hi

Im happy wearing a mark XV for 1000 pound less. My pockets not as big as some.

Its a great wtach, squared and all.

BK

ps im sure this is a wind up, i fell for it , mr gullable (spell) me. But just to throw it in, dont buy it lads if you dont like it.. paused.. considering smiley..... can we ad that icon lol.

How can you not love this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    It's the sterile dial and compulsory bracelet that puts me off buying one. :(
    Actually, that is what makes me really want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    How can you not love this.

While i can appreciate differing tastes, I love the hands. For me, they comprise one of the essential design elements of this watch. Some day one of these watches will be mine.

Rick

Now that I've got one, I think the hands look pretty good. Normally I'd prefer sword hands like a Sinn 656 (wider hands would hold more lume too) but the ones chosen for the SBIII really do work very well.
    Steve

Looking at my SB3 I do like the hands and don't mind the square hour hand.

However, I wanted a watch I could read at night, without glasses and unfortuately the hands on the SB3 are just too small and slim and don't have enough lume. The hour markers are fine.

So the only alternative is bigger replacement hands.

Master

I really like the square end hand, especially in contrast with the pointed minute hand. I just really like the watch overall.

If I were to change anything I'd make the minute intervals shorter, rather than the same length as the hour markers.

But that's me being fussy. It's completely taken over as my daily wearer, on a brown Don Ginsler leather.

First time I saw SB III I fell in love with them. Now, quarter of year after the love is unfortunately over. Im not wearing them at all.

I've looked into getting replacement hands. The trouble is, the minute hand of the SB3 is longer than any replacement hands I can find. Replacement hands are max(12.75mm) I bought a set of O&W MP hands and layed them on top of the crystal. They are the sword style and looked great. But the minute hand didn't even touch the hour marker.

I went to a jeweller I know to discuss changing the hands and he was reluctant to do it.

Had mine a couple of weeks now, wearing it daily, have gone back to the NATO after a week with the bracelet (a good bracelet - I just prefer NATO's). I do like the appearance of the hands on the SBIII, but agree that for instant legibility in low light sword hands or similar like the German watches tend to use would be better, not least because it would then be possible to increase the amount of lume available. The hands on the existing version just don't glow anything like as bright as the hour markers do - woke up at 4 last night and couldn't see the hands at all, only the hour markers - my Tuna was glowing as usual nearby so easily able to check the time on that beast.. Guess that makes me a heretic :? So more lume, drilled lugs and a 2892 (which I recall Eddie wanted to have on the SBII from the start) for the next version? Get ready for the mob with pitchforks and torches...
    Cheers,
    Steve

I can read the hands all night. They're better than the 17C but not as good as the 18Q.
    What would a 2892 add to the cost? If they were obtainable.

Craftsman

I love the SBIII and would have bought one, just worry that the numeral alignment issue might bug me - the 3 was corrected, but 4, 5, 7 and 8 are the same, a bit too far to the right... But its probably not really noticable in real life, compared to magnified images you see online.
    The lume would blow me away after the Maurice Lacroix I'm wearing at the moment, which lasts for a very dim 1-2 minutes after charging in bright light! :lol:

All opinions about the aesthetics aside, this is a watch that stands out from the crowd. I think it should not ever be modified.

I just can't get used to the blunt hour hand, it would be fine if the minute hand was fatter and a bit less pointy, then it would be great, love the seconds and minute hand though but it just doesn't seem quite right with that hour hand, IMO, not that it would stop me trying one mind, funds allowing.

Craftsman

I have been staring at my SBIII for the last few minutes...
    The sawn-off hour hand just looks wrong, the minute hand is too long and thin and that lance-like second hand is outrageous.
    ... but all three together - great!

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    All opinions about the aesthetics aside, this is a watch that stands out from the crowd. I think it should not ever be modified.

I totally agree :D :shock:

Craftsman

I caved in today, mostly thanks to that photo Ron has posted earlier in this thread! :D Went to order the black dialled one, but have to wait till Timefactors re-opens. The hands look so perfectly proportioned, and with incredible fit and finish even at that magnification. :shock:

Journeyman

I can't get used to the hands either. I would like to like it though because I really like the dial, the specs and the case which, to me is the nicest thing about it.

The square hour hands works on the 17C because the end of the minute hand is not si abruptly sawn off, IMHO.

Stan.

Apprentice

For me, the stubby hour hand makes the time instantly readable at a glance as there's no confusing the hour and minute hand in any position on this watch. If that was a design goal, the SBIII meets it perfectly. Love it.

Craftsman

I love this watch, and have been on the verge of getting one so many times but have been put off by the issues raised.
    Does anyone know if future batches will have the number positions fixed, the crystal consistently set flat, a half link and hand lume improved?
    I am in no way criticising this fabulous watch, but if there is no intention to iron out teething issues I might just bite the bullet and live with them rather than lose out if it is replaced by SB IV. It is so nearly the only watch I need.

Master

The number and crystal issues are not at all noticeable on mine, and the bracelet is one of the comfiest I have. The hand lume could be better it's true, but I like the hands very much as they are... moving to bigger hands as IWC did would spoil the look of it for me.

Given the price, I think it's surprising how close to perfect the SBIII is for so many people, but you can't please everyone!

Craftsman

"Not at all noticeable" is just what I wanted to hear. I think I deserve an early birthday present.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rob N
    "Not at all noticeable" is just what I wanted to hear. I think I deserve an early birthday present.
    Happy birthday :D

You'll enjoy the present. I too have no problems with the crystal or the numbers. The bracelet is perfect in warm weather, a touch loose in cool (so a half-link would merely switch those around). Lume? You can't have everything...

Fred

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rob N
    I love this watch, and have been on the verge of getting one so many times but have been put off by the issues raised.
    Does anyone know if future batches will have the number positions fixed
    IMHO I don't think the numbers are an issue as all the German watches I own are aligned like this.

Only the people who don't have one think there are issues. Not a single watch has been returned stating there are "issues".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

ISSUES?! I can't see any issues with the SBIII so find that confusing!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Only the people who don't have one think there are issues. Not a single watch has been returned stating there are "issues".

Eddie
    I must admit to me being one of the people who didn't "get" the watch until I got one!

I challenge anyone to put one on their wrist and not like it. I don't do hype but this watch is the equal of any other in the shops, the hands work well together and the watch "feels" right.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    The SBIII is a terrific watch that can hold its own against watches costing many times more, cost aside, I see no issues with the watch

I was dead set on buying an IWC Mk.XV, black dial, traditional, square tip hour hand. I had tried them out for size, form, fit and function at various dealers; I had a WTB that I kept bumping: in short, I was actively seeking a Mk.XV ----- that was until I got my SBIII.

I like many others, read the dial updates with dismay, but I had complete confidence in Eddie’s ability to bring the SBIII to market, in perfect condition. In the flesh the SBIII just looks and feels so right, that I struggled to justify the purchace of a black dial IWC Mk.XV, the SBIII had scratched that itch. I had however promised myself a Mk XV, so now I am the very happy owner of a SBIII and a Silver Dial, Mk.XV Spitfire.

Journeyman
    At the top of the hill, where the land meets the sky and the sea still close behind me.

I reckon it looks as perfect as anything I have ever seen. Great looking watch.......maybe I should get one! :idea:

Journeyman

I wasn't aware of these 'issues' before I bought mine. I've looked back at the various discussions and taken an even closer and more critical look at my watch.

I still have no issues. Instead, I'm even more convinced that it's a very good watch.

Craftsman

I love mine. Everything feels just right except one thing with the numbers on the dial: The 2 seems out of place, too close to the 3. It may be just my eyes, as I don't see the other dial issues mentioned, eg numbers being too much to the right.

Craftsman

I have been over mine with a critical eye and found no issues, just really good quality for the money.