closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I finally joined TZ

Master

Why I finally joined TZ

I've already introduced myself and received a great welcome, but being someone with no real ‘serious’ watches, you cannot imagine how intimidating it was to join a community with so much experience and such valuable collections when you have nothing.

So before I lose my perspective as a complete and utter novice looking in from the outside, I just wanted to explain what actually made me pluck up the courage to join - in case it helps others.

• 1. Reading through the posts everyone seemed to respect each other’s opinions, even if they disagreed. I can assure you that this is very rare indeed and was a main reason behind my joining.

2. Unlike so many other forums on countless other subjects there seems to be very little snobbery, geekiness, back-biting, flaming or ill-feeling between members (requiring little moderation). You seem to really enjoy participating rather than massaging an ego and this was a big plus.

3. Despite being a predominantly UK board, the number of active overseas members is truly heartening (as well as their command of English putting all of us Brits to shame). I took this as a very good sign before joining.

4. The banter is good, not too risky (or lame) and there aren’t many ‘private jokes’ between members that would have made you appear elitist and unwelcoming to outsiders (because that’s how it can feel).

5. Buying and selling seems a friendly pastime between members regardless of whether it is for cheapies or big money. The way that watches often stay within the ‘TZ family’ actually gave me a great deal of confidence.

6. The final big thing is the photography. If you guys are amateurs with normal cameras then I take may hat off to you. Your images are simply stunning and contribute an enormous amount to this forum, which made me really want to own these watches and learn more.

I just thought it might be useful to let you know, just in case it helps - and this is from someone who has never joined any other forum on any subject in all of my years.

An added bonus; after joining I was pleasantly surprised to see just how simple it was to post. It really is far easier than I ever imagined, making me much more likely to contribute to the forum.

Having already introduced myself in a previous thread I just hope that this serves as a useful insight, especially to anyone else who reads this and may be hesitating about joining.

Re: Why I finally joined TZ

God Peter you make us sound like the perfect forum here! Maybe you're right :twisted:

Very well summarised BTW, you'll fit in nicely here :D

Welcome to the forum, great post and one that perfectly sums this place up IMO :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Unlike so many other forums there seems to be very little geekiness
    :shock: :lol: .

Seriously though I agree with you, this is a great community and one I enjoy spending a lot of time.

Unlike so many other forums on countless other subjects there seems to be very little geekiness.
    Damn right Sir! We are not Geeks, we are WIS! :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com

Welcome Peter :D

It seems like I've been here forever, and I still don't get at all bored with the forum. I agree with what you say. It IS the best watch forum!!

Blog Entries

Good to have you around Peter.
    The first two reasons you listed make TZ-UK a very special and enjoyable place to be. In fact there's no other watch-related board I would rather spend as much time as I do here. We're a totally cool bunch of WISes ;)

Cheers,
    Oliver

A nice post - you'll fit in fine, I'm sure! (Welcome to the only online community that I would miss, if it were taken away!)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

good post newbie :D

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

Welcome Peter :) what do you think about these marina militares?

karl

Nice post Peter, I'm sure you will enjoy being a member, regardless of what's in your collection :)

What an excellent first post and one I couldn't agree with more. On this evidence you'll fit in very well Peter, a warm welcome from me :).

Cheers,

Gary

Welcome to the forum, you don't have to worry about not having an expensive watch collection, you will soon find that there are lots of really good and relatively cheap watches to collect.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dutchgray
    Welcome to the forum, you don't have to worry about not having an expensive watch collection, you will soon find that there are lots of really good and relatively cheap watches to collect.
    And then you will realise there are lots of really good and astoundingly expensive watches to collect-that's when you know you're in trouble :D

Alex

Craftsman

Welcome Peter,
    Great post, sums up the forum well. Its not about the size or value of your collection, just about enjoying watches. Your right about the photography skills one here, these guys make the watches look better than the advertising posters.
    I've looked on other forums, mostly non-watch related, and the flaming and bickering does get a bit much. I'm glad its not like that here, there is a few tongue in cheek comments but its all done in a light hearted way.

Cheers,
    Michael

Master

Great post :thumbup: - and one that I'd pretty much agree with. I just hope we collectively don't let you down.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Welcome, and as a fairly new member I feel the same way.

Jack

Thomas Reid

Welcome. And enjoy.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

I am in agreement. I am too am especially warmed by the fact that there is little in the way of snobbery.

There are members with serious collections running into the tens of thousands,. There is no obvious jealousy against those with an expensive collection only admiring remarks. There are also members with a modest collection amounting to a couple of hundred. There are certainly there are no condescending remarks against them and when somebody shows off their new £40 beater, there are only positive replies. Truly refreshing.

The Forum summed up very nicely.

A warm welcome from yet another overseas member!

Cheers

Stern

I've already introduced myself and received a great welcome, but being someone with no real ‘serious’ watches, you cannot imagine how intimidating it was to join a community with so much experience and such valuable collections when you have nothing....

And lots of nice other stuff.....
    I have not been here that long either Peter, but I too have been amazed at just how gentile (for an almost exclusively male forum) this place is.

Right from the start I was made to feel welcome. It was as if I was given a big warm embrace by existing members, and I didn't even mind too much when a couple of them went for a quick reach-around and a firm but gentle squeeze of my right buttock. (However, I did decline the tongue and settled for a peck on the cheek even though I knew they were only being friendly and there was nothing in it.)

And there's not many forums you could say that about.
    :wink:
    So clever my foot fell off.

Welcome to the forum, Peter. :D

Craftsman

Really well put, Peter. Have fun.

Cheers

Henrik

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Hi Peter...welcome to the Forum...your post does indeed sum the place up!

Blog Entries

Wow a lot of sensible comments - welcome indeed, despite me deciding NOT to pop onto the SC EVERY day, I just cannot help it, the hand just seems to drift across and double click the tz icon - oh dear it is not curable I understand so hope you have a 'flexible friend' - welcome aboard indeed

Best wishes
    Peter G. :lol:

Master

Hi Peter and welcome. I think you have summarised pretty much the reasons why most of us are here :)

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Master

Hi Peter

What a great post, I dare say that you have said out loud what many of us subconciously already knew but never pieced it all together or taken the time to post about the fact :lol: .

I'm sure you will fit right in around these parts without any difficulty.... of course once you have posted pic's of your collection, no matter how humble!

Cheers

Paul

Master

Welcome again and don't worry about the lack of a collection - I myself had random crap and almost gave up on wristwatches before joining up :) Hanging around here has given me the knowledge and confidence to know much more about what I want and to procure good pieces that I won't loose (much) money on if I let them go. Keep an eye out on the SC and Friday threads especially and start building the watch fund ;)

LO :)

Thanks Peter for that - very heartening :) I don't know a lot about watches but enjoy them all the same :D I like it here because of the mix of members and the amount I've learned from them has been fantastic.
    You can pretty much pose a question on any subject and you will find an answer so join in on the different forums and have fun too - it doesn't just have to be about watches. :)

Welcome

Rod

Master

Thank you all for your kind words, but its your efforts that I am really commenting on after all. I just hope that other non-members read this and decide to take the plunge too.

By the way, sorry to be thick but what does "marina militares" and "WIS" mean?

Master

Marina Militare = Italian Navy
    WIS = Watch Idiot Savant

Welcome Peter

Now if you get bored of all this niceness just try posting a sales thread for your next post followed by asking us all our views on fakes.

Hope we don't let you down.

Chris

Journeyman
    At the top of the hill, where the land meets the sky and the sea still close behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Welcome Peter

Now if you get bored of all this niceness just try posting a sales thread for your next post followed by asking us all our views on fakes.

Hope we don't let you down.

Chris

+1 :lol: :lol: Yes welcome :)

Welcome Peter
    Having been on TZ for a few weeks now myself i must say you have hit the nail on the head with your post this for me is the best balanced forum for the watch enthusiast by a mile.
    Regards Willie

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher
    I am in agreement. I am too am especially warmed by the fact that there is little in the way of snobbery.

There are members with serious collections running into the tens of thousands,. There is no obvious jealousy against those with an expensive collection only admiring remarks. There are also members with a modest collection amounting to a couple of hundred. There are certainly there are no condescending remarks against them and when somebody shows off their new £40 beater, there are only positive replies. Truly refreshing.
    That's certainly true. I've no expensive watches, and mostly wear home made jobbies, but no one has made fun of me for that.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by doug darter
    Welcome Peter :D

It seems like I've been here forever, and I still don't get at all bored with the forum. I agree with what you say. It IS the best watch forum!!
    A resounding +1.

Master

Very nice post, Peter.

Master

Reading this has cemeted my resolve to continue to contribute here when I am GMT -7 next year. Advice given to ex-pats is to cut yourself off completley from your native media, newspapers etc to intergrate into your new country, but won't be able to give this up :wink:

Welcome Peter :) didn't see your first introduction but hope you enjoy your stay with us

WOW. High praise - sounds like I've found a fine forum.

Master

What a great post and one that nicely sums up the main reasons I log onto this site much more than any other. There is a huge amount of knowledge here on all subjects and in fact when I'm stumped on something I typically turn to the guys on this forum first (I mean I got some advice on whether I had damaged my freezer a while back!).

Its a great place - very much like a good local pub.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum Peter! What a great post, and just too true!
    This is not only the best watch board for me, it's the best board overall :)

Glad to have you on the show.
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Great post and welcome peter :wink:

A warm welcome to you from one of those overseas members, that you mentioned :mrgreen:

And allow me to say: Not THAT is an introdution! :mrgreen:

I feel a group hug coming on :)

That's Alex in the red sash ;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    I feel a group hug coming on :)

That's Alex in the red sash ;)
    Yeah, let's do that, even better than tree-hugging :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Craftsman

Hi Peter,
    I'm a recent member myself and TZUK was the first watch forum I joined and I'd like to echo your points, everybody I have corresponded with has been the epitome of gentlemanly conduct, courteous, friendly and extremely helpful. I used to browse TimeZone (US) for years picking up information but have found that recently that forum has gone downhill especially since big business stepped in. Hopefully both you and me will be posting here and sharing this wonderful hobby for a long time to come although SC could leave your bankrupt and single in record time.

Master

Welcome Peter.

You've echoed my thoughts about why I joined here. This place seems to be a real community with members willing to share their expertise and opinions in an easy-going environment. I've been really impressed.

Craftsman

Hello Peter, an excellent introduction :thumbright:

I'm relatively new here myself and started from the position of knowing less than nowt about watches and certainly don't have wads of cash to throw about! Whilst I've scarcely moved on from that position :lol: I think you've neatly summed up why I, and no doubt many others, joined TZ-UK.

One thing that never fails to impress is the that there are clearly folk on these fora who know an awful lot about watches and have a huge collective memory on tap and the only price for access to this body of knowledge is a polite question :!:

Enjoy your time here!

Nick