closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Geneva- recommendations?

Master

Geneva- recommendations?

I May be going to Geneva in the near future, are there any persons who have been there and can recommend:

-sights and places, generally.
    -watch haunts.
    -watch museums.

Other items good to purchase in Geneva-perhaps chocolate and some other items?

I've been a few times but not really explored it very much.

Many thanks and best wishes,
    AP.

Re: Geneva- recommendations?

I worked there for a few months in the early 80's and really enjoyed the city, albeit it was very expensive to eat & drink in. There are a lot of museums there, covering a wide range of subjects and one that perhaps surprisingly is a great visit is the International Red Cross Museum; esp. for anyone interested in military conflicts over the years. The airport was great for shopping, head and shoulders above most others, but it's nearly 9 years since I last transited it so not sure if it compares as well now.

And of course there are lots of watch shops.......... :lol:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

My biggest tip would be: don't go on a Sunday!

We were holidaying in St Gervais and I insisted on dragging the family to Geneva "to have a look round" (roughly translates to spending the day looking round watch dealers). However, we went on a Sunday and everywhere was closed. We wandered aimlessly around for an hour, had lunch, then drove back to the holiday chalet in silence!

There were some lovely looking dealers there, though. Just a pity they weren't open.

Mark.

Master

Well you simply call me, all right? :thumbleft:

Frank

Try to find Ponti on rue du port....vintage and modern stuff you could make a reference library from. Most big watch houses are located between the lake and the main high street, in a "band" about 100m deep. The main department store has a great cafe/restaurant in the ground floor just the place for a coffee after seeing the watch stores.
    ps take plenty of money with you....... :shock:
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT
    ps take plenty of money with you....... :shock:
    :D
    +1. The pound against the Swiss franc is not what it used to be. I have 8 hours transiting through Zurich on Wednesday so hope to spend 2-3 of those in here; http://www.beyer-chronometrie.ch/en/.../portrait.html. Unfortunately have never been to Geneva.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

I spent a week there a while back, but used it mainly as a base from which to get to other parts (some of which you recommended IIRC AP :) ). However, I did enjoy the Patek Philippe museum - it not only has watches but also automata and some very good animated explanations of their workings. The fountain's worth a look, but they switch it off at the end of October.

Thomas Reid

I suspect that I'll be coerced into going towards the end of the summer. So, I'm looking at this thread with interest.

Best wishes,
    Bob

My first post joined today! Not to comment on this thread before you get worried, howeverjust browsing through and i thought I would pass on a tip (though no striucly waht you asked for: as one married to a Swiss I cannot recommend the restauarant Cafe de Paris in Geneve highly enough its steak et frite only place (try the Moulin-à-Vent - Beaujolais compliments perfectly!) service can be a bit, well, shall we say more French than Swiss? (can I say that), though thoroughly recommended as it adds to the experience. Oh and no I have no affiliation to the place other than my partners family have frequented the place for 3 generations!
    As for watches/horology etc. the Musée de l'Horlogerie et de l'Émaillerie is worth visiting or of course the Patek Phillippe.
    its a beautiful city and flights are cheap at the mo. well worth a visit though with the exchange rate the way it is.... well anywaylet us know how you get on?

Master

Sounds like we could soon organize a Geneva tz-uk-get-together ;)

:thumbleft:

Frank

Master

Thanks for the great recommendations.
    Looks like it will be delayed but hope to go in July or Sept.

Looking forward to being in touch about it!

Many thanks.

Sincerely,

AP.

Thomas Reid

It looks like 01--06 Sept for me. I'm keen to see the PP museum.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Bob,
    I might be there, in Geneva, at around the same period. If so, perhaps it would be possible to meet at some point.

Will know more in a few weeks.

Best regards,
    AP.

Master

I'm going there straight after Glastonbury - any tips on good (inexpensive :lol: ) hotels?
    David

PS. now booked the "Kipling" - £90 a night seems very reasonable

Master

how cheap? I know one round the corner but the "interiour design" is really oldscholl early 70s--

bob& mr.pottinger, please let me know when you come, I'll very happy to show you around!

Cheerio, frank

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by walkuere
    Sounds like we could soon organize a Geneva tz-uk-get-together ;)

:thumbleft:

Frank
    Good idea. Anyone else in Geneva or around? I'm in Lausanne but have an office in Geneva.

Master

I should be there just after the middle of Sept. Looking forward to it and will send a message ahead, prior to departure so to arrange meeting, with any luck :)

Best wishes,

AP.:)