closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone Been To The Black forest?

Master

Anyone Been To The Black forest?

Hi guys, we're thinking about going on a family holiday to the Black Forest in early September - does anyone have any recommendations for places to visit etc. I've had a look on a few tourist websites but the area is so big it's hard to know where to start. It's a bit off the beaten track for us Brits too so there isn't a stack of information on the net.

The South appeals as we like lakes and mountains (we go to Austria a fair bit) but we are quite happy in the great outdoors generally. We usually like to go cycling and walking but this year we will have our 7 month old son with us which will slow us down a fair bit :D Still hoping to rent a baby trailer and do some gentle cycling away from the roads.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Re: Anyone Been To The Black forest?

I've been to the Black Forest several times touring on a motorcycle. It's a lovely place, nice towns, villages and countryside. Excellent roads too if you like driving. Bar larger towns like Baden Baden (English football team stayed here during last World Cup) and Triberg etc it's a quiet place (that was my impression anyway). A hire car would be a good idea if you're flying - mobility is essential IMHO. I've stayed in Schonwald which is a very quiet village though kids might bore a tad in a place like this. Generally speaking if I'm touring, I tend to avoid built up areas. You probably already know that this area is famous for its clocks. I find German people to be pleasant and hospitable, but this is generally the case throughout Europe. A week would be plenty of time in this area, in my opinion. Hope this helps.

Maby a visit to Jörg Schauer and Stowa in Engelsbrand? :D

Freiburg is a lovely town and would make a great base. Not far from the Swiss border too if you fancy a wander over.
    Relatives of mine live in Furtwangen in the middle of the Black Forest and I've visited often. Great clock museum there.
    I know Schoenwald too. Pretty.
    Schonach has one of the biggest clocks around.
    Triberg waterfalls are worth a visit. They have a huge clock too.
    Waldkirch. Pretty.
    Calw, too.
    Simonstahl is a lovely valley.
    Villingen. Def. worth a visit.
    Local drivers tend to be swift on good but narrow roads; I wouldn't like to have to cycle up and down the mountains. There are a number of genuine hairpin-bend roads in there.
    For culture you could try Donaueschingen, where the River Danube officially starts, or you could visit the Donauquelle, the real start.
    Local hostelries usually provide good food, much better than our pubs and the staff are friendly.
    The Hexenloch, when the last witch in Europe was officially executed, 1749.
    The whole place is geared to tourism but not unpleasantly so.
    South of the BF, a good hour's drive, is Lake Constance (Bodensee). It's wonderful and there's a Zeppelin museum there.
    Weather in the higher parts can be very cold at night and blistering during the day. Or it can rain in torrents or thunder like Thor himself is awake.
    In winter there are quite a number of ski runs. Furtwangen usually has about 60cm snow.
    It's hard to visit the Black Forest and not be pleased you've been.

Master

That's brilliant guys, thanks :)

My wife used to study in Tübingen so we know the general area but have never stayed in or close to the Black Forest area itself. One of the attractions for us is the lack of British people there (hopefully :D ) and the opportunity for my wife to brush up on her German speaking skills. Quiet is good too - we generally hate going on holiday during school holidays.

The current plan is to drive and rent a self catering apartment/house so we can cart all the baby gear and possibly bikes with us. We've been looking around the Freiburg area and Titisee.

I wont mention the clocks to my wife until we get there :D

I was there 3 weeks ago....lovely. Been several times. Visites Stowa/Jorg Schauer factory which is new and amazing. We stayed in Baiersbronn, near Freudenstadt. when you stay , you get unlimited free train travel within the black forest area. Also visited the Porsche museum in Stuttgart :shock: along with several very upmarket watch dealers there- Ralf Haeffner and Willi Rothfuss to name 2. Scenery is gorgeous and people very warm and friendly. I m sure you will enjoy it :D
    GOAT

Master

Titisee is very nice - and if you are around the area, visit St. Blasien - I spent nine years there
    in the Jesuit boarding school, Kolleg St. Blasien.

The Dome is one of the largest in Europe - very impressive:

all pictures nicked from wikipedia

The area around, Todtmoos, Häusern, Höchenschwand is really lovely as well.

Frank

Grand Master

Make sure to visit Strasbourg (just across the Rhine river) in France. It is well worth the visit. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

have been to Freiburg (im Breisgau) on numerous occasions and enjoyed it very much. It's pleasantly laid-out around the stunning cathedral, which is an outstanding example of gothic architecture, and historically remarkable. Indeed, during WW2 the city was accidentally bombed by the luftwaffe, and it was also one of the last targets to be bombed by the allies. The cathedral survived this well. The university figures largely in the city. It is also a swift ride to Basel.

In future I would like to visit Strasbourg. Have been past bodensee on the train and would dearly like to visit it.

HTH.

Best regards,
    AP.

Walkuere, I like the nicked photos, esp. of the jesuit school :lol:

Gruss Gott! (dont have the right keyboard for deutches)

Spend a day in the Deutches Museum in Munich, its great.
    Take a boat out on the Konigsee to see the mountains!
    Dring lots of the most [u]fabulousbeer in Europe!
    Make an effort to speak a little Deutches, no matter how bad, and the Bavarians will warm to you!
    Freiburg- beautiful clean town, well worth a visit, dont lick the jewellers windows, they'll set dogs on you :lol:
    Munchen is a gem, lots to see and do.

I went years ago a few times, 1st with my brother, when you had to walk off the plane, down onto the concrete, and walk to the little old terminal. Went to Oktober fest; what an experience!
    Mooch around de Scwhartzwald and do some walking too!

Blog Entries

Collected my first Porker in Munich and they suggested the 'Route Romantik' - a lovely drive around / through ' Schwarzwald ' and visit/stay in Rothenburg, a lovely old town with a great pub 'bierstube' 'Zur Hoell' ( to Hell ) and the waitress even let me buy 4 of the great long, slim beerglasses :wink:
    Unfortunately, the village later became infamous, for being the hometown of the cannibal that found a soulmate on the internet and ate him !! (he volunteered !) :roll:

Enjoy the eateries.... :twisted: ( fantastic cakes as well )

Peter

Master

Cheers guys, all good info

Just remembered the baby needs a passport - better get on the case quick :shock: