closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7A38 restoration

Seiko 7A38 restoration

I bought this 7A38 7270 soon after I started work in 1987. Used it daily for 10 years, then sporadically for 2 years. At that point it was in a sorry state and I tossed it in a drawer. The mineral crystal was heavily scratched, one pusher was jammed in and the other two were really sticky, there was slight condensation inside with marking on the dial, and the bracelet was stretched, gunged up and heavily scratched.

When I came across it recently, googled it and found they were a bit of a milestone (15 jewel all metal movement), I decided I'd like to freshen it up. I took all the pushers out and was amazed how much dirt was inside the tubes :shock: I had intended to replace the pusher gaskets but they were so small, and I'd already lost 2 of the pusher clips (which are about the same size), that I just re-lubed them and put them back, using spare clips from a broken Seiko. The dial cleaned up easily. Once running again I tweaked the adjuster and it now keeps time to better than 0.5s per week - making it my most accurate quartz.

Finally I bought a new sapphire crystal from Cousins UK (never offered on the original watches but it's a standard size flat crystal and Cousins do a generic sapphire in the right size). I was going to have this fitted by a jeweller as I don't have a press. However with quotes betwen 15 and 30 pounds, and a warning that the crystal might break, I ended up just buying a press for £21 off ebay and doing it myself. Took 10 minutes to do, very simple.

So, here it is, fitted on one of Eddie's Aviator straps:

I wish I'd taken a 'before' shot now!

Banned

Re: Seiko 7A38 restoration

Superb watch, didn't know you could get one with day/date. Enjoy it! :)

Lovely watch..well worth putting back in order.

Master
    Blog Entries

Marcus,

Sounds like the pushers needs removing and you need to clean the crud/crap out, don't worry spares springs are easy to source if needed, long with gaskets

Enjoy the watch they're SUPERB!

Regs

Bry

Journeyman

Wow, now that watch has some history!
    Looks Good!
    Nice job!

Nice job, particularly the DIY crystal fit :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

It's looking mint chap! Well done!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Superb watch, didn't know you could get one with day/date. Enjoy it! :)
    The 7A28 doesn't have the day date, the 7A38 does, both are cracking watches,