closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Free money & champagne

Free money & champagne

Most UK people will have heard of the Tesco Clubcard, where you are awarded points when you spend money in Tesco. You save the points up, and every three months they send you vouchers with a monetary value that you can spend in store. For every £100 you spend, you get a £1 voucher (woopee-do). You can spend the voucher, or exchange it for one of the clubcard 'deals' at four times its value, i.e. your £1 voucher is now worth £4 (slightly less crap). Holidays are one of the 'deals' (Ooh, I definitely want one of those).

Occaissionally, they do special offers that give you extra points. There is one such offer at the moment - buy a bottle of Champagne at £26.98, and get 800 points. 800 points = £32 of clubcard deals, so assuming there's a deal that you would have bought anyway, you're up on the deal by £5 plus the champagne.

I bought 6 bottles, earning me 4800 points. That converts into £192 towards my next holiday. There was some other offer as well that I hadn't noticed, meaning I also got a discount on the champagne. It worked out at £25.58 per bottle.

So, in summary, I bought £192 worth of holidays vouchers for £153.51, and got 6 free bottles of champagne as well.

As luck would have it, we're holding a 70th birthday party for my in-laws next week, so we actually wanted the champagne.

Re: Free money & champagne

There was a similar thing with bananas in Tesco. The way it worked, they ended up paying you to buy their bananas. One guy twigged and bought every banana in the shop. :lol:

There was one the other week, where you got £40 pounds worth of deals vouchers for buying an £8 bottle of perfume. I missed out on that one, unfortunately.

Master

Sounds like a plan.

Which champers and is it in store only? Can't see anything on their websites?

Thanks

My in-laws could kiss my ass if they thought i was going to give them champagne , they would be lucky if they got council pop from the tap :D

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Which champers and is it in store only?
    This stuff: G.H. Martel Prestige Brut http://www.tesco.com/wine/product/detai ... =262274274

No mention of the 800 points on that page though - I don't know if you have to buy from a shop to get them?

Master

Cheers Chap :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shadowninja
    There was a similar thing with bananas in Tesco. The way it worked, they ended up paying you to buy their bananas. One guy twigged and bought every banana in the shop. :lol:
    I remember that, I think he bought about £1600 quids worth and bought a new kitchen from MFI with the money.

Do you just see the 'extra club card points' signs next to the item then?

Yes, one of the little yellow labels that says '800 points'.

The points weren't added automatically at the checkout - I had to go to the customer services desk and get them added manually, it's worth checking your receipt to make sure you got the points.

If memory serves, isn't this a sub-plot in the Adam Sandler film Punch-Drunk Love?