closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omega Ploprof, I don't like it!

Re: Omega Ploprof, I don't like it!

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel
    Compare it with a spanner or a torque wrench, a tool for a job. Dont know if there actually any better than any other dive watch, when used for its purpose?
    Comex continued with the Seadweller, so it seems the Ploprof wasn't any better, just a bit uglier.

Chris

Master

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker
    Compare it with a spanner or a torque wrench, a tool for a job. Dont know if there actually any better than any other dive watch, when used for its purpose?
    Comex continued with the Seadweller, so it seems the Ploprof wasn't any better, just a bit uglier.

Chris
    Too expensive I thought?

I like it and I have just returned from my local AD in Norway where they have one in. Mega tool watch and heavy on details. I very much like it. Going to mull it over tonight...

£4,800 is that the definite UK list?

Chris
    Oh, and furthermore, if I had £4800 to blow, this isnt what Id spend it on, I cant imagine that on my wrist somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    As a conversation starter, I'd much rather wear a Graham than a ploprof... it looks dated (and it is!)
    Poppycock! It's mature.

It's unique, it has a story, it's good looking (or at least, not gold, jewel-encrusted and obscene) and it's rugged.

Love it.

Blog Entries

Me neither - I like divers watches but the Ploprof is as just too much (imho)
    And as others have suggested looks a little OTT for everyday use.
    But so are most divers watches are OTT in that respect
    I think the last thing on my mind will be my watch if I ever experience 1000ft down.
    Just that most divers watches still look like 'nomal' watches - even oil filled watches capable of outrageous depths.
    All are examples of excellent engineering - Whereas the Ploprof is just a bit fugly with it :lol:
    But, each to their own !

Apprentice

Funny thing is my Planet Ocean is rated to the same depth!

I think the old versions are interesting as a design icon and the fact they were pushing how deep you could take a timepeice, handy for professional divers back then but I doubt it was considered an everyday watch.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I wouldn't buy one,but then i wouldn't buy a Seadweller either.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by roady

I think the old versions are interesting as a design icon and the fact they were pushing how deep you could take a timepeice, handy for professional divers back then but I doubt it was considered an everyday watch.
    I thought the PO was 600m, my one is, and the PP to 1200m?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Correct 8)

Master

Not just me then? One of the ugliest watches ever made now, or then :twisted:

It's certainly not a looker; I can't see the attraction of either the original or the "new" one.

I'm with you in disliking them but thought, until now, that I was in the minority.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Correct 8)
    Ahh yes, the new version is, my mistake, sorry!

well i for one have ordered the Plo Prof for better or worse but i can see why they are marmite, Mike's story of his french purchase was great and it looks great on the wrist IMO but the fresh look of the new one does it for me and if it looks as good on my wrist as Mikes does then i am going to be quite happy.

Well, gotta admit, it's a very individual watch!

I do like the PloProf, but probably just one will be enough for my Collection.

However, with around 60 Rolex Submariners, I'm hardly short of a diving watch!!

And having deconstructed the Omega for servicing, I have greater faith in the integrity of the Oyster case over the Seamaster 600...

But each to his own.

;-)

It takes a brave man to make a statement like this... So here goes:

The Omega Ploprof, new or old, I don't like them.

I liked Mike Wood's story of tracking down an original and I admire that it's a fine piece of engineering. But as a piece of design I think it looks daft.

I couldn't image wearing one, then answering the inevitable questions about what the orange button does or why does it have the slab of metal sticking out the side.

As dive watches go the Seadweller is a much more elegant solution, the Ploprof, well that just looks weird.

Who's with me?

Chris

I'm 100% with you on this one.

For this new model, they should have just shorten the name to Plop. That's the sound you should hear when you throw it in the local canal where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    Failing that IWC made some rather special divers in the early 80's (I think Stanford has a couple)
    I do indeed, and they can also be a bit of an acquired taste - and then I also have one of these :wink:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Not just me then? One of the ugliest watches ever made now, or then :twisted:
    +1,
    I think they look bad, don`t see the attraction at all, totally lacking in aesthetic appeal.

Another case of 'kings new clothes'?....

Paul

Master

Thank goodness we all like different watches ,

I love the PloProf and have used a couple for Diving over the years . You really need to actually hold one,and try it on to understand it . It is definitely a Tool Watch ,and designed for a purpose . Like many cool pieces,you either love em or hate em .

Not sure if the 4800 Pound Price for the new PloProf is fixed in the UK . There may be discounts.AD`s here in the US are offering considerable discounts . The MSRP here is $9000 and the actual price is closer to $6500 . Considering the Build Quality ,incredible new bracelet and clasp,8500 Co-Axial Movement etc I think that whilst an expensive watch it competes very well with Divers of similar quality.

Cheers,
    Vic :)

Love it`s Brother too ... The SM 1000m

I don't like it either and I can never understand what's so great about this watch, it takes no bravery for me to say such a thing, this opinion comes very naturally to me. Also I can never understand why some many people are so fanatic fans of this, but I respect their taste.

i dont like it much ,just a little and for a tool watch i prefer a casio/seiko
    its like there something stuck to it (aka bottle opener thing or an ignition button ) :shock:
    having said that i would wear one if it was a gift :)
    tastes do change over time though :wink:

I had the new Ploprof on my wrist on Thursday in Copenhagen. Heaviest watch I have ever worn. I liked the new clasp which is a real meaty affair. Is it worth £4800? Very much doubt it. It hasn't got the wow factor for me. You could never wear a shirt cuff with it or even a coat! Save some money and pick up a 2254 and a Dreadnought.

Only my opinion

Paul

Master

I love it for one reason: it stops people whining on about the DSSD!!! It's the latest object of hate, and at the same time makes my DSSD look like a svelte & elegant design classic.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeMonsters
    Can someone post a picture of what we're talking about here? I quite like the idea of an ugly watch with a big orange button on it.
    Here's an image of the re-edition:

And Mike's original:

Chris

Loose all the "extra" metal on the case and change the mesh for a bracelet and then it'd be a seriously nice watch.
    Otherwise no thank you.

But as they say, differnet strokes for different folks. It a good job that Omega cater for so many tastes.

still being quite new to this, I hadn't heard of the Ploprof until news about the re-issue came out. I found Mike's story very interesting and like the fact that it's a real tool watch.

It's nice that it exists, and if I had a use for it (even casual diving) and didn't have anything else on the wishlist then maybe it could grow on me (only the original mind). But for me, the design is so weird (ugly) there's no way in hell I could wear it on the street! For diving or not at all for me.

That said I'm very happy that some people on the forum like it, it adds a bit of variety and I do find myself looking at the photos quite a bit. I've already gone from hating it to mixed emotions due to the comex history!

Actually had the chance to pick one up in Singapore a few years ago pretty cheap. Wish I had because I'd have made a few bucks selling it now, but it was just too big and ugly looking on my less than Popeye wrist. Some aspects of the design are lovely. I like the bezel and dial and hands. Classic stuff, but the case and red button....WTF..... The only thing I could say in Omega's defense is that the watch was designed as a divers tool watch not a martini drinking watch. As a tool watch I think it hit the mark. Thing of beauty in the eyes of those who love them and a dog's ringpiece in those who don't.

Pete

Master

i could be wrong but was this watch designed for graham norton lookalikes to wear sitting at their office desk or moaning about elegance and how it wont fit under their shirt cuff in a wine bar ? :roll: or was it made as a tool for a specific job? i dont think it was made to be comfortable, fashionable, elegant. :lol: :lol: :lol:

karl

Craftsman

I don't like it! :pukeleft:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter469
    I don't like it! :pukeleft:

I dont either - but as said, that is fine. There are those that do, and those thast dont.

Not only dont I lke it, I just dont get the prices on the old ones (as per London retailers anyway)

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Whilst i was in Paris over the last few days i wandered by a display of three Ploprofs.....they look big,heavy beasts in the flesh! I took the opportunity to try one on...the lady sales assistant seemed most concerned about how i was handling it! On the wrist it is also a big,heavy beast.....it obviously is what it was designed to be ie a serious dive watch.However,i still didn't like it and could think of something better to spend the 6000E price tag on (including any one of several IWC's i looked at as well!)

Not my taste and I can't see it selling well :|

Grand Master

It takes a brave man to make a statement like this... So here goes:
    Chris
    Nothing brave about putting forth one's opinion, Chris :)

As a watch the Omega is one ugly lump of misshapen steel. As an in-your-face statement of wealth and powerrrrrr, it's great :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregR
    In terms of functionality - far more useful than a Breitling Emergency once the 121.5 frequency is changed :wink:
    Why not have a little search so you can find out how this statement is incorrect. ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Craftsman

I love it, but for me the original only. It will be a bit like the remake of the Heur Monaco-I loved the original but the re issue did nothing for me...except ramping up the price of the original making it more difficult to buy :cry:

Master

I love it too. Have been lucky enough to own 2 of the originals and now its the turn of the reissue (hopefully)
    One thing that strikes me - have many of the no votes actually seen one in the flesh and tried one on ???

maseman

I love vintage diver watches and the ploprof was always my grail until I finally added one to my collection, love it as a tool watch and I wear it at least once a week...

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

I don't like them :(

Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    One thing that strikes me - have many of the no votes actually seen one in the flesh and tried one on ???

maseman
    I tried yours on :lol:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Journeyman

I like them. Built in an era where engineering, materials and design were abit more basic than they are now. Would I wear one? Possibly if my weedy wrists could take it. Then there was the "Baby Ploprof" wasn't there that had the good looks without the weird bits.

David

Blog Entries

Tried the original on once, and I must say it looked mighty interesting on my wrist 8) :D

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Would have a vintage one for the historical value (i.e. Mikes) - would not have a new one.

It would be interesting to see how well it would sell without its historical past or if it had another brand printed on the dial.

Yet another money making scheme IMHO but no doubt the Omegaisteri will be buying them.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche