closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My love/hate relationship with G-shocks...

Master

My love/hate relationship with G-shocks...

When you would have asked me about G-Shocks 2 years ago my reaction would have been YUK!
    About 1.5 years ago I needed a watch that could take some beating, so I decided to see what all the fuss is about and ordered an AVG101. I decided that when I would get a G, I would only get an atomic/solar one.

By Balrog747

I loved the reverse displays and the size, but the crummy lume bothered me, so I replaced it with a Mudman:

By balrog747, shot with E-510 at 2009-01-01

I really liked the Mudman, the looks, the display and the cool double tang strap. My only issue was that it was rather large on my skinny wrist. In time I'll probably end up buying one of the new 6-band ones. I sold it to fund another watch...
    After a while I found myself actually missing a G in my collection :shock: So I decided to buy a Gulfman.
    This one is still in my collection:

I also bought a Giez. I went for the blue dial as it's rarer and I actually prefered it over the black dial. The Giez was pretty cool with an awesome movement. The watch is quite heavy for a G too. I sold it again because the crummy lume bothered me (and I need the money for another watch :D).

The movement of the Giez never left my mind though, about 2 months ago I picked up this GW-2000 with an upgraded movement (6 band). The good news: the lume on this one is excellent! At the moment this is one of my favorite watches :-)

By balrog747, shot with E-510 at 2009-07-05

Last year I decided to get a Protrek for our holiday to Iceland. I quickly sold my first choice again (the PRW1300) because I couldn't get the bracelet to fit my wrist properly. Too bad as it looked pretty good:

Shortly after I bought the PRW1300 the PRW1500 was released. It was instant love for me so I replaced the 1300 with the 1500 :-)

Anyway, after this journey I now have 3 Gs: the Gulfman, the GW-2000 and the PRW1500 and now I know what the fuss is all about: they're fun to wear :D

Re: My love/hate relationship with G-shocks...

Great post.

I love G-Shocks too as they are just so hard wearing, I have a few, but the only problem is, they keep bringing out new tempting ones. Just seen a new Gulfman atomic solar in all black stealth mode which is coming out Oct/Nov.

I do not need another G-Shock, but i sure want one. Glad they are sensibly priced as most of the other watches I love are priced out of my reach, so ownership is rarly an option for me.

Except for my 2254.50, I had make that dream a reality, with no regrets.

I've got into them quite a lot recently, there's something pleasing about them that I can't quite describe. I still love my mechanicals, but G-Shocks scratch a slightly different WIS itch for me.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I've got into them quite a lot recently, there's something pleasing about them that I can't quite describe. I still love my mechanicals, but G-Shocks scratch a slightly different WIS itch for me.
    I have to agree, although slightly worried that steptoe will jump in with some stupid post justifying why he has fakes of his G shocks that 'amuse' him to wear :roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

My main wearer is my GW-M5600, I love it to bits. Even when I had my "expensive" watches, I used to wear the G-Shock in preference most of the time as I just prefer it.

I'm tempted to get an analogue MT-G or MR-G one day when I have a bit more money, but I'm hoping they'll bring one out with better lume/backlight. I know they have the orange LED backlight but it's not as good (IMO) as the blue el lighting on the LCD faced G-Shocks. I've owned 3 Pro-Treks, and whilst they are great watches I don't use the extra features. As long as its got atomic time sync, solar powered, world time, and at least 1 alarm I'm happy. The small form factor of the GW-M5600 is just about a perfect size for me too.

Master

G-shocks have really grown on me lately, and I think it's time I scratched the itch

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    My sentiments exactly!
    I've been getting more and more into G-Shocks lately. I think (part of) the essence of the attraction may well be their affordability: you feel like a new watch, you don't pay a fortune, as sometimes even less than 100 quid will get you something nice.....

Alex

Have to admit, I've never really seen the appeal before, but lookie lookie!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Casio-G-Shock-Avi ... 286.c0.m14

That is very VERY tempting!

Tony

Apprentice

Thanks for that very enjoyable and succinct photo narrative about CASIOs you have known. The Giez looks great!

:)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaF
    When you would have asked me about G-Shocks 2 years ago my reaction would have been YUK!
    About 1.5 years ago I needed a watch that could take some beating, so I decided to see what all the fuss is about and ordered an AVG101. I decided that when I would get a G, I would only get an atomic/solar one......
    Anyway, after this journey I now have 3 Gs: the Gulfman, the GW-2000 and the PRW1500 and now I know what the fuss is all about: they're fun to wear :D

Master

Great post, thank you.

I know ziltch about G0 Shock.

Just love the clock.

Dave

Master

I'm another recent convert to G-Shocks and would never have imagined it even a few months ago.

Apart from looking pretty cool, they are relatively cheap, obviously built to take any treatment you throw at them and to top it all the atomic updates make it something to set your other watches by. What a package!

And as for the varying designs - well Casio really have hit the sweet spot as there's something for everybody.

I have to agree with Dave that the clock is very intriguing - never seen one.

On the downside, I have got a resin (?) bracelet on mine and it's pretty pants (not bad for the money though). I did consider changing it but then I might as well get another G-Shock. Clever marketing from Casio?

Finally, as it's a solar powered watch it shouldn't really live in the watch box. Logically that means I have just freed up a space in my box for yet another watch... it's a win/win situation :)

Great post Micha and fantastic pics :thumbright:

Does nobody have any love for the waveceptors? The 'Bear Grylls' one is pretty good looking and an incedible amount of watch for around £100, solid link bracelet with pin/collar fixing, dual time zone, stopwatch, alarm, solar, atomic, backlight.

And I recently had the chance to examine one of these, the euro equivalent of an Oceanus. Sapphire crystal, 5 band receiver, solar, dual time, stopwatch. The solid link bracelet apparently has split pins instead of pin/collar though. It looks better in real life, the dial doesn't look right in this picture, incredibly slim at just 9.4mm and yours for £180:

Hi,
    Thanks for the review : I really love these analog G's. I think the GW-2000 needs to go on my wishlist.
    I have a G-cool (no ref or picture because I am at work ;-) ) which I got from the GF years ago (pre-wis years)
    And I got a PRG-40 from a colleague who didn't need it anymore (!!)
    Haven"t worn the PRG-40 at all, wore th G-cool (which wears a bit smaller then your average g-shock) for years untill I bought a Breitling Transocean. Still wear it as a beater....
    Enjoy yours...
    Krgds
    Broes

wearing a black mudman now
    after my last operation a year ago i started picking up where i left on windsurfing and i tell you it handles everything pretty well :wink:
    couldnt imagine wearing anything else right now :D

Dave in Wales mentioned above about the G-Shock clock, just in case anyone's interested, the UK version of this is available from Tiktox - I have one and it's great (cheap too). :)

http://www.tiktox.com/gq500-alarm-p-2390.php

I like the waveceptors too, I used to own one of the 'Iron Man' models but flipped it just after Christmas. I'm tempted to get another as it makes a good 'smart' watch which is accurate and can take lots of abuse if necessary. :)

Master

I've been wearing my Mudman loads recently. I've either being doing stuff where a knock-proof watch is handy or else I've just felt like slobbing. Plus it's fun and surprisingly handy with its stopwatches and timers.

I did have a 5600 at one point but gave it to my brother as it didn't work on my wrist as well as the Mudman. My wife occasionally wears a solar atomic G-shock of some description.

Great watches that fulfil a useful role.

I'll probably get a Timex Ironman at some point for something light and small, that's good for training and is another classic watch.

whther you love or hate the design ( its a marmite thing i guess ) , the sheer reliability, wearability, toughness, pricepoint and overall practicality of g's is hard combo to beat, esp imho the solar atomic models.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I had the tough solar/waveceptor Mudman and just couldn't bring myself to wear it, as it was just too plastic and bland. (Although it is ideal for setting other watches by). I then had a Frogman, which I really enjoyed wearing, but it was gaining up to +5 a day which I found irritating, so that's gone too. There is something about them though as I still find myself looking at them on-line, so will probably end up with another at some point, and I think the waveceptor Frogman will be the next big demand G-Shock.

Grand Master

I have looked into Casios and Suuntos searching for a holiday watch which would give the day of the week, alarms and timer functions. I considererd the GW-2000, but the proprietary strap is too short. :-( So I decided to go the whole hog and get myself a fully-fledged digital ABC-watch with all bells and whistles.

In the end it was a run-off between the Casio PAW1300 (the 1500 is only superior with respect to nautic features, like tide indication - in other respects, the 1300 has the superior performance) and the Suunto Core. The Casio won out because I want a watch with good primary time management functions and secondary ABC functions, not vice versa. Solar and atomic sync. are nice features too, so the watch can be my reference watch at home, too.

Hope it arrives this week (USPS say it is out of German customs already) in time for our short holiday next week. :-)

By the way, I am still learning but I believe the ProTreks are not considered G-Shocks, though I guess that even a non-G-Shock digital watch is reasonably robust.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    By the way, I am still learning but I believe the ProTreks are not considered G-Shocks, though I guess that even a non-G-Shock digital watch is reasonably robust.
    You're right, but I always kinda consider them to be Gs :wink:

Master

I'm getting my first G-Shock tomorrow for my birthday!! It's a stealth solar atomic 5600BC thing (does that sound right?).

I tried to buy one on fleabay a few weeks ago as an experiment but ended up with a fake :evil:. Still, rather a fake GS than a fake Rolex, a much cheaper mistake.

I'd quite like a mudman too............. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot
    I'm getting my first G-Shock tomorrow for my birthday!! It's a stealth solar atomic 5600BC thing (does that sound right?).

I tried to buy one on fleabay a few weeks ago as an experiment but ended up with a fake :evil:. Still, rather a fake GS than a fake Rolex, a much cheaper mistake.

Cool. :D

Happy Birthday 4 tomorrow.

Hope u like it. I am sure you will.

Yeah it's odd the G-SHock thing. I had some then thought rubbish and tacky. Then I had the Mudman SOlar/Atomic Hydro that passed the 120 bar test by Bry, and really like it. The reason I got rid of it was the wiffe, mother etc were saying it looked cheap and plasticky. However, I've just bought a Frogman and received last saturday another G-SHock which is good for utilitarian use:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot

Cool. :D

Happy Birthday 4 tomorrow.

Hope u like it. I am sure you will.
    Thanks, it's the same as yours, articulated bracelet and everything :D

Craftsman

Exactely the same as you guys, I would not have given them a second look
    last year, but having bought 6 over the last few months, including
    G Shocks, and Waveceptors, I have changed my opinion, they offer
    good value. One question though, should I keep the radio controlled
    signal thingy on all the time...? :?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNG
    Yes, why not. I do leave mine on all the time and forget about them.

I have 4 radio controlled watch'es, like how they are all in sync.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNG
    You can, but it's not a bad idea to turn it off if the watch is going into a drawer for a while. No need to have it waking up and using power when it's otherwise asleep conserving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire
    Dave in Wales mentioned above about the G-Shock clock, just in case anyone's interested, the UK version of this is available from Tiktox - I have one and it's great (cheap too). :)

But not 'atomic', I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire

But not 'atomic', I think.
    You're right, it isn't.

The Japan market version is atomic time sync'd but only works in Japan, it won't sync with the European stations, so you may as well just get the UK one. It's less than £35 too. :)

must confess i never really liked them but have just got a mudman and used it on holiday and what a great watch,waterproof/shockproof ,different time zones,alarms love it ,only one thing is when using in the sea/pool and the sun it seems to of turned the strap from light grey to orange/brown,scrubbed it and it wont come off....any ideas as to how i can get it back to normal,i could by a new strap but the strap is £23 and the watch only cost £39 ,the pics are pre stained strap

I have had two, I find them just great for wearing for swimming - they don't damage anyone that I hit with them (it happens sometimes), only problem was having the first one nicked! I now have a 5600 atomic, solar all singing all dancing! I really quite like it!

Master

Unbeatable watches and VFM in my opinion.

Mine cost £40 new and is worn as much as any in my collection especially in the garden whilst playing with my son :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    ....any ideas as to how i can get it back to normal,i could by a new strap but the strap is £23 and the watch only cost £39
    I think you answered your own question. It only cost £39 so just enjoy it. When it gets too bad you can dye the whole thing a different colour. One of the other forums has some info on how to do this (Google "dye G-Shock"). I did this with some RIT black dye from ebay, it's an interesting experiment and it works. :wink:

i agree its only £39,the thing is i like the colour grey,dont really want to black it

My wife wears a pink Baby-G most of the time (ahh sweet)..
    and this is my beater, used for setting the others too.
    Can't fault it for the money. :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by westy

Thats my beater too and my wife wears a pink baby G. :D

Craftsman

I have a feeling my love affair with G-shocks began today.

When I got home from work this evening, today's delivery was waiting for me:

Is a GW-M5600 Atomic Solar on a resin strap.

I love it.

Been wearing it since I got home. Very comfortable and light. I love the retro 80's style (my daughter might even think I've got something trendy - well maybe not!!)

I think this one might get some significant wrist time.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by westy

I just opened one of these for my birthday present today, wearing it right now in fact. Very nice and loads of techy stuff to read through on a rainy day...........

Thanks for posting the picture, saves me doing it!!

Cheers - Simon :D

I have tried G-shocks a few times and just never seemed to bond with them.
    I had a few of the Ana-Digi models and i just couldn't deal with how busy they are.
    Then i tried a couple of the old skool style watches and i just hated the crappy straps on them.
    I had been looking at the new style bracelets and thinking they might just be the solution to the sweaty wrist syndrome so common with the horrible standard straps and this one arrived today.

I had wanted the negative display version but a few people mentioned they are not as easy to read and as that's always been a problem with G-Shocks for me i decided to stick with the standard version.

First impressions are that the bracelet is a huge improvement over the standard strap, i still fancy the stealthy look of the negative display over the standard version so i might try one later but hopefully i will warm to this one :roll:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Don't know why but G-shocks just remind me that I'm a lazy git. When I see one I just think I should be doing something energetic :cry:

I'm having another G-Shock craving recently, thanks for the information and pictures folks.

I'm having real problems not pulling the pin on a GW-M5600...

Quote Originally Posted by rapidboy

:roll:
    Hello

Looks good.

Might I ask from whence you sourced the strap?

TIA
    Jesper

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo
    pulling the pin ...
    :shock: :evil: :evil: :roll:

First "pulling the trigger" and now this ......what will be next! :cry: :cry:

Master

Have to say, since I got my GW-M5600 Atomic Solar from here I've loved it - and worn it a lot. It'll take all the bashing it gets on the tennis court. It's happy working on the bike and getting covered in oil. It'll wake me up, time the stuff in the oven, set a timer for me at work. In short - it does everything. It sure as hell ain't elegant but it IS perfectly functional and squeaky accurate. I'm finding that my mechs are sat in the drawer more and more though.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout

Hello

Looks good.

Might I ask from whence you sourced the strap?

TIA
    Jesper
    Tiktox sell them, I think that's where most people track them down from.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Let me second the bracelet, it is vastly superior to the strap. Also you'll never see a bracelet that's as easy to size or fit.

Master

For holidays, mountain biking, snowboarding etc....there is nothing better than a G-Shock, they look good and will take all sorts of abuse!

My climbing watch. It's a bit scratched!

I recently purchased a GW-2000 for my first G shock, I was quite impressed though the lume is not in the same league as my Seiko collection