closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you all flip?

Do you all flip?

I currently own 7 watches, and am currently looking at buying an 8th. Before I recently found this site I owned 2 watches.

No huge shock there, I'm sure a lot of you will have similar tales to tell.

However, where I seem to differ from most, if not all of you, is that I already know that I'll always own these watches. They will never appear in SC, or be swapped with a friend for the latest electrical doodad. I will leave this mortal coil still in ownership of all of them.

I've always been the same...once I buy something, it either gets thrown away because its out of date or broken (hopefully neither of which will happen to a watch), or it stays with me. I simply hate to move things on.

Anyone else here made in the same way, or am I just a freak? Do I just need to dip my toe in the flipping water? :D

If you're honest with yourselves, do you find that more often than not, you end up wishing you hadn't flipped most of the watches that you've moved on?

Tony

Re: Do you all flip?

Quote Originally Posted by tburfield
    However, where I seem to differ from most, if not all of you, is that I already know that I'll always own these watches. They will never appear in SC, or be swapped with a friend for the latest electrical doodad. I will leave this mortal coil still in ownership of all of them.
    I'll give you a fortnight at most....

:D
    So clever my foot fell off.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana
    Quote Originally Posted by tburfield

We've all said that, remember never is quite a long time. :D

I agree.

What are your 7 watches? I might be interested in part exchanging one of mine for one of yours.

:blackeye:

Banned

Yup your a Freak :lol: :wink:

Grand Master

i have been known to impulse buy and flip within 48hrs :shock:
    have recently decided that instead of loads of cheap and midrange watches i will have a beater,a diver, a nice vintage and a couple with special interest, and one expensive piece. hence my monopoly of sales corner in the past few days.

problem is, since i "decided" that, i have 3 cheapies incoming! :roll: :roll:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Bit big headed maybe

But bet im king of flip-or close.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Go through phases of flipping - we have members who sell their latest without opening the parcel :P
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I keep thinking no more then something comes along and out one goes :lol:

I flip. I wouldn't have got to try anything like the number of watches I have if I didn't. At the moment I'm largely happy with what I've got (only one more to go out when I get round to taking some pics), but that might change.

I've sold 17 watches this year, 8 of them were also bought this year (as was the remaining one I need to sell).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Go through phases of flipping - we have members who sell their latest without opening the parcel :P
    we've got members whove flipped before theyve recieved the parcel :roll:
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Nope. I have let one or two go but parting with a watch is like pulling teeth.

No I don't

exept for one short period of time in the distant past when a personal situation forced me to raise money rather quick; I sold of two Breitlings and an Omega to sole a cashflow issue.

Besides that I never have sold a watch that I bought..... so the numbers keep going up......

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

Been using TZ since Feb, and not been tempted so far :D Even the little £35 Citizen that is way too small for me (36mm) won't get flipped, even though I know I'll NEVER wear it again :cry:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen

Besides that I never have sold a watch that I bought..... so the numbers keep going up......
    Thats exactly how I think I'll be...the only downside I can see is that moving up to the next level does cost more money, as you're starting from scratch with no trade-in.

tastes change mate. you never know whats going to happen.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

If it's not getting worn, it gets flipped. Simple as.

I've not got the OCD some have about filling their cupboards full of watches that never see wrist time from one year to the next.

No i don't, not for the time being at least. But eventually if my collection gets so big that a few of them never get worn, I might consider it. Dread for that day :wink:
    /michael.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    If it's not getting worn, it gets flipped. Simple as.
    This is a good point. I think there are 2 main schools of thought in WIS-dom, the pure collectors and the wearers. I'm a wearer, I only keep what I wear, I'm not interesting in simply having watches. Collectors collect, there is a satisfaction in owning watches in and of themselves (whatever the direction and theme of the collection).

Note: I don't believe that everyone falls into one or the other of these categories, plenty of people fall somewhere in both camps at different times and others are doing something else entirely, but I think it's a useful generalisation for discussion purposes.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Having become serious about watches comparatively recently (start of this year), my intention is to keep those which I acquire.However,as taste may change and veer towards the more esoteric (and more expensive)there may be a need to adjust the approach to funding.

Never flipped.

but never say never. :wink:

I've sold three and now have a drawer full of watches some of which I know I should pass on but when I pick them up they plead not to go. :?

... and in all honesty, I don't intend to start.

Craftsman

Goodness me, no!
    Not yet.

Master

Never flipped, I am of the same thought as you when it comes to watches. For me they are bought to keep, I need to stop buying watches becasue I am running out of space :(

Regarding buying habits, the original purchase wouldn't have been made if there wasn't some connection, but as 90% of my purchases are made online, there's no substitute in seeing things in the steel and this invariably leads to disappointments. I've bought more than a few to try them out, in the knowledge they might not quite be right and will be flipped, with hopefully, the least possible loss. Some you win, some you lose.

(I should probably sell the lot and buy a Sub and be done with it) :D

I generally have quite a few watches :wink: and will always buy anything of quality at the right price i.e cheap. :D

Generally most good quality vintage keep going up in value and are better than money in the bank IMO

I traded some of my old vintage stuff that had set me back about £900 for an EXPII recently.

A reasonable deal. :wink:

Regarding flipping, if I buy a parcel of watches I sell the ones I don't want and keep the rest.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Do I flip?

:wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

ive flipped a burger :wink:

as for the watches, i never intentionally buy a watch to flip it, however in the case of a couple, my taste has changed over time so passing them on to someone else to appreciate is good.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

I started in the same way as the OP. Two watches and then the collection started to grow (see sig for extent of damage!).
    I found (find) it very hard to sell or trade anything (btw this is not just watches - SWMBO will confirm that I am a natural hoarder :? )
    There a number of watches that I know should be sold as I will not wear them and the funds would certainly come in handy for more purchases.

Perhaps I'll think about putting something up for sale tomorrow :wink:

Cheers,

Nigel

Do you all flip?

F.T.F.A.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    Nope. I have let one or two go but parting with a watch is like pulling teeth.
    pretty much the same for me, 2x Panerai gone to free up cash reluctantly :cry:
    almost all others still with me

Craftsman

Not sold anything yet, the collection just keeps growing....although I am currently planning to swap an Omega for another Omega... 8)

Craftsman

I am a wearer and not a collector, and although I am interested in all watches, aesthetically more than anything else, I only want to buy Panerai (I love Rolex but not bracelets). I want to flip one of my two Panerais, but only to fine tune my (small) collection (want a 112 and want to sell my 005 to fund the transaction). Also want a 114.

The one exception is my beater: Seiko FrankenMonster on a Toshi strap.

I do but only on a very small scale. I had around 7 or 8 at one point but only ever wore 3 of them. So now I stick to 3 and operate on a one -in one - out basis. I also operate on a peanuts budget and treat it as a bit of fun. Once it becomes boring I'll revert to a Seamaster again.

Journeyman

I've bought 2 watches based on pictures only and flipped them. One in 24hrs.

Until I get it in my hands I don't know if it will be a keeper.

Craftsman

Not yet currently, but soon - a busy day last week saw me pick up two identical watches....which is just plain silly, so one will have to go.......

Other than this one, I suspect it will still be one way (inbound) traffic for me for a while yet.. :D

Master

I would love to keep all the watches I have bought But, As much as I love these watches I have to question myself when any of them dont get worn for a couple of months!
    Even this morning im thinking of putting a couple on the SC, only to fund a PRS50 though! And the chances are that if I did get the PRS50, that wont get worn as much as it should!
    But they are nice to have :lol:

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

I do flip the bird ocasionally :lol: :lol:
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master

Haven't flipped any of mine yet but I guess it is a case of never say never :wink:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Doggycam
    I've bought 2 watches based on pictures only and flipped them. One in 24hrs.

Until I get it in my hands I don't know if it will be a keeper.
    And just to show you how different we all are, I was the lucky recipient of Cam's 'less than 24hr flip' PRS-50-B and since it arrived, I've got rid of two other things simply because they won't get wrist time any more. I had to part with a vintage Constellation to raise the funds - a watch I thought I'd never part with - but once I'd made up my mind to do it, it was really easy. I have been through almost a dozen watches since I started here about 6 months ago, and now only have 3 (two of which I started with!).

I guess personally, I've never been a good 'saver' - I've found it easier to slowly build up a few cheapies, then let them go in favour of something else, perhaps adding a little more cash each time, until I'd slowly built a small group which I always knew I would flip for the 'keeper'. And the amazing thing is, whilst I still look at SC, things don't excite me as much as they used to before the 50B arrived - so in some ways I really have settled down with it!

Give it time... :wink:

Giles

Craftsman

Flipped my first jsut the other day, but that was because it had an integrated bracelet, and it was too large for me. I didnt want to permanently hack any links out, so on it went.

Got a growing collection, thanks to the SC, and am at the point now, partly financially were I must thin out to grow again. Got 1 that a friend is interested, and another that will probably hit the SC soon. 1 other I am thinking of offloading, but then I have my eye on more than 3!

Never thought I would flip anything 12 months ago though!

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Never :lol:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Journeyman

I'm with seadog. I buy it 'cause I like (need) it at the time - with no intention of selling it on later, but... I'm not a quick flipper - I'll keep a watch for a year or so, wearing it almost every day for the first few months, then something else comes in and the previous watch gets worn less.

Eventually I'll get it overhauled by an AD, not wear it for at least another 3 months then um-and-arr and eventually sell it.

A painful process.

Master

At first I was going to say one should flip so you can experience the benefit of other watches, you may never be able to afford otherwise. But, err, realised that this year, well since joining this forum, I've bought 7 watches and still have 5. The girlfriend has one, and the other I part exchanged for a watch.

I only tend to buy watches I'm sure about, and as such haven't flipped anything yet.

That said, I'm often tempted to "invest" 2-3k in a watch that will keep its value and flip that around so I can try all sorts of watches and styles for relatively little cost.

Master

Flip? Me? Never :lol:.

I am a manic flipper, collector, swapper, trader etc etc....

I get bored quickly, and much of the fun in collecting comes from the trading IMHO. I also like quantity as well as quality.

I love the whole wheeling and dealing side of WiSdom.

Call me 'Arfur.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Craftsman

I'd love to have kept all mine, but so many watches and so little money to spend on them!

Quote Originally Posted by taffytoon
    Yup your a Freak :lol: :wink:
    +1 :lol: