Chill con carne

This is my recipie which is a mishmash of tinternet recipies and adjustments here and there etc. I like a bit of heat, to the point you can taste the food. Any hotter then its pointless to me!

This is hot, not fire in your mouth hot, but hot! :D

Here you go...

Chilli Con Carne
Serves 2-4 depending on hunger levels. Double the quanities and you get 4 to 8

Ingredients:

1tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
1 red pepper diced
1 garlic clove crushed
500g beef mince
125ml red wine
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato puree
2 red chillies chopped including seeds
1 tsp hot chilli powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp dark brown sugar (soft)
1 stick cinnamon
Good shake of Worcestershire sauce
1 beef stock cube
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
400g can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid and fry the onion, garlic and pepper until softened.
2. Increase the heat and add the mince, cooking quickly until browned and breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon
3. Pour in the red wine and boil for 2-3 minutes
4. Stir in the tinned tomatoes, tomato purée, fresh chilli, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce and crumble in the stock cube.
5. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the mixture is rich and thickened.
6. Add the kidney beans. Cook for a further ten minutes, uncovered, before removing from the heat, adding any extra seasoning if necessary.
7. Serve with rice and whatever else you like to accompany chilli

I have found that its much tastier a day or so after it's cooked. You can leave it to cool, hoy in the fridge and gently reheat on the cooker before serving.

Guess whats for tea tonight?! :)