closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A question about decibels

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

A question about decibels

Coulds someone answers this for me.

If for arguements sake something makes a sound at 50 decibels and another at 60 decibels, is the combined decibel level 110 or is it just 60 decibels, as this just eats up the lower 50 decibel level.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: A question about decibels

AFAIC ben, it would only come out at 60 decibel.

cheers
    mike :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches
    Coulds someone answers this for me.

If for arguements sake something makes a sound at 50 decibels and another at 60 decibels, is the combined decibel level 110 or is it just 60 decibels, as this just eats up the lower 50 decibel level.
    My 2p, and waiting to b proved wrong: it depends on many things.
    It can even be quieter in certain circumstances. See sine wave, and how they can add-up
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

The Decibel is a base 10 logrithmic scale, so the two do not add so simply.

a 50 dB noise on top of a 60 dB would probably result in a 60.5 to 61 dB noise.

If you are really interested read here, about half-way down the page:
    http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/noise_educati ... tro_5.html

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    The Decibel is a base 10 logrithmic scale, so the two do not add so simply.

a 50 dB noise on top of a 60 dB would probably result in a 60.5 to 61 dB noise.

If you are really interested read here, about half-way down the page:
    http://www.epd.gov.hk/epd/noise_educati ... tro_5.html

+1

What he said - they are additive but logarithmically.
    As an aside +10db results in an approximate perceived doubling in sound level.

OK, so can someone explain why no matter how loud I have the TV, I can never hear it over the sound of my wife talking on the phone, yet at the same time, I can't hear her if she speaks [s:2fimpmrn]at[/s:2fimpmrn] to me?

Two lots of 60dB is double the power, so 63dB. 50dB+60dB would be a bit less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    OK, so can someone explain why no matter how loud I have the TV, I can never hear it over the sound of my wife talking on the phone, yet at the same time, I can't hear her if she speaks [s:3sqa1bft]at[/s:3sqa1bft] to me?
    I have the same problem but for me it's tone's and pitch that I have difficulty with. I used to pump the telly up and still could not hear it properly when there was other noises around. I then played with the settings and reduced the bass and increased the treble and hey presto its much easier to hear.
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

It's not that simple, every 3dB gain is a doubling of sound/signal. If you get an antenna amplifier with 3dB gain, it doubles the signal, 6dB doubles it again and so on.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

OK, so can someone explain why no matter how loud I have the TV, I can never hear it over the sound of my wife talking on the phone, yet at the same time, I can't hear her if she speaks [s:2jmyl50t]at[/s:2jmyl50t] to me?
    This is an acquired medical condition common amongst husbands known as selective deafness. :lol:

Master

OK, so can someone explain why no matter how loud I have the TV, I can never hear it over the sound of my wife talking on the phone, yet at the same time, I can't hear her if she speaks [s:3t5kaiog]at[/s:3t5kaiog] to me?
    http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20051209 ... e-control/

I don't need one yet but if you test it let me know how it works, one can never know.

OK, so can someone explain why no matter how loud I have the TV, I can never hear it over the sound of my wife talking on the phone, yet at the same time, I can't hear her if she speaks [s:nf4wagos]at[/s:nf4wagos] to me?
    Sounds like a special audio filtering technique: I know of high pass, low pass, band pass even parametric filters but I'm new to adaptive wife filtering :lol:

You would just hear the 60db noise mingled in with the 50db sound. It wouldn't sound any louder.
    In amplifier power, to double the power of 40watts per channel you need a 400 watt per channel one (as previously mentioned it's a logarithmic change). This would only represent 3db's difference in sound level which is a mere whisper. So why would someone need a 400 watt one then? Reason - speaker efficiency. If you have a speaker efficiency of 91db and one of 88db the amplifier power requirements double in power. Most, if not all that power is frittered away as heat in the voice coils.

Rod

The DSU (Distress Signal Unit), attached to a BA (Breathing Apparatus) set used in the Fire Service in the UK, has to sound at a minimum of 90db for not less than 1hour when activated. So there. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

WOW. I did not know sound was complicated :shock:

Thanks for your replies guys :wink:
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

cannedheat

As Gruntfuttock said, it would be a little less than 63 dB, exactly 62.3866 dB ( decimals are meaningless in this case, you are right )

Regards

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cannedheat
    As Gruntfuttock said, it would be a little less than 63 dB, exactly 62.3866 dB
    Nope. Depends greatly on frequencies, phase, etc. Sound is measured using a weighted, ballistic meter movement (or a software simulation of such).
    Assuming different (incoherent, as coherent sounds are most unusual in the real world) frequency and phase, a sound at 50dBA added to one at 60dBA would come out at a bit under 60.5 dBA.

Keep it low.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

so after all you scientists have gone on about waves/sines and everything else, i was right in laymans terms :D :D

cannedheat

Quote Originally Posted by JasonG
    Nope. Depends greatly on frequencies, phase, etc. Sound is measured using a weighted, ballistic meter movement (or a software simulation of such).
    Assuming different (incoherent, as coherent sounds are most unusual in the real world) frequency and phase, a sound at 50dBA added to one at 60dBA would come out at a bit under 60.5 dBA.
    edit:

I found my mistake JasonG, you are right. Mathematical - magnitude one. I had used (50/P0+60/P0)^2 inside the logarithm, and I should have used ((50/P0)^2+(60/P0)^2). The magnitude involved is not sound preassure, but the square of the division of sound preassure by the treshold of hearing. This is the magnitude to be added, not original sound preassure.

You are absolutely correct, a bit less than 60.5, 60.4139dB.

Thank you very much for making me understand it a little better.

Regards.

PS. and thanks lysanderxiii for the link!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    so after all you scientists have gone on about waves/sines and everything else, i was right in laymans terms :D :D
    Yep, just for all the wrong reasons! :wink: