closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko MM300 on leather

Master

Seiko MM300 on leather

I've been trying my MM300 on the bracelet, on the rubber strap and on a Seiko nylon/leather combo. But I think I've found the combination I'm happiest with...for now!

The rubber strap didn't really do it for me, unfortunately. It seems the most popular option for most owners. You don't read much about this watch on leather, but tried it on a Di-modell waterproof Rallye strap. Think it's a winner!

Any other ideas for dressing up the MM300 on leather? - please post pics.

Oh, I tried on an Omega PO at weekend. Curiously I felt a little disappointed after the Seiko. So it's a keeper for a while longer yet!

Anthony

Journeyman

Re: Seiko MM300 on leather

It surely looks great on a strap - how does it wear?
    I´ve tryed to wear my SBDC003 which I believe is similar in size and weight and it was more comfortable on the bracelet.
    It seemes to balance the weight of the watch when it´s on the bracelet....

not sure...

Grand Master

Another 'not sure' here .. to me that watch belongs on it's great bracelet ..
    /vince ..

Blog Entries

And again a not sure :)
    For me the kevlar dive-strap I'm looking at now, is working best.

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

It's not "too" bad (better then the one on a yellow strap the other day!) but I think the MM300 needs to be on the bracelet or a Nato to look it's best :)

Journeyman

The bracelet for the MM is in its own class!
    The easy way of adjusting it, and the wearing comfort is amazing! :)

Journeyman

I´ve got a Sinn 142 chrono that has a similar racheting bracelet, very fast and easy to adjust, but not nearly as comfortable to wear as the Seiko MM

I really like it. I've been thinking of doing something similar with my SKX007 for a while.

As it's a divers watch, it's fair to say that a leather strap is totally inpractical for any water-related purposes - at least for extended / regular periods. That said, as you are probably (like most owners!) unlikely to use it for regular diving, I don't think that its style heritage (i.e. metal / rubber bracelet) should matter.

I've also come to the conclusion that divers watches only work on leather straps like the one you show (i.e. three lines of holes).

I really like the Z22...makes the diver really PRO!

Journeyman

For diving a watch really does not make much sence - even a real diving watch like the Citizen Aqualand Classic, JP2000-08E
    When you are diving in the northern part of the world its kind of dark after something like 15m, you need some kind of illumination to read the small letters and numbers.
    Also you will have to control how much air you got left, so most divers use diving computer where all information is collected in one space.
    I use an old Citizen as a backup in case the diving computer fails and for controlling weather the other divers are on time when I I´m the "Divemaster"
    Today divers watches are mainly a design, not a serious tool for diving imho

Quote Originally Posted by diver2
    For diving a watch really does not make much sence...

...I use an old Citizen as a backup in case the diving computer fails and for controlling weather the other divers are on time when I I´m the "Divemaster"...

...Today divers watches are mainly a design, not a serious tool for diving imho
    For anyone using a divers watch for its "true" purpose (as you do), a leather strap would be a real no-no.

However (as you point out), most owners of divers watches do not use them for regular/extended diving (including, perhaps, Anthony). Instead, owners only use the bezel for timing pizza etc.

Therefore, I see no real reason why divers watches shouldn't be worn on a leather strap.

To me, it makes sense because divers watches on this type of leather strap look great.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Another 'not sure' here .. to me that watch belongs on it's great bracelet ..
    bracelet for sure!

The bracelet is really nice & would be my first choice. Nothing wrong with leather on a non-diving, diver, buy I would go for a rally style myself. The Di-Modell Chronissimo would seem a more obvious choice.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman

The leather strap is a good choice for diving watch - that is not in contact with water ;)
    I really dont like the rubber straps, they are not very comfortable especially when its hot.
    But for diving they are better than bracelets.
    I change the bracelet on my Sinn 142 for a Sinn leather strap during wintertime - its nicer to wear.
    During summer the bracelet is more comfortable - especially because of the easy way of adjusting it :)

I am in the pro leather camp. A thick plain leather strap would work. The name Toshi springs to mind but I am sure there are other strap makers out there. Have to admit I am hankering after one of these but with small wrists I leak towards the strap option.
    The respondent who mentioned the comfort factor around rubber straps is correct (ie: not comfortable in warm weather) and it is another point in favour of leather/canvas/kevlar as strap material. Good luck with the research.

MM nice on leather

Master

Some interesting and mixed views! I personally find the leather a great alternative to the bracelet, and haven't got on with the rubber strap - though I know I'm in the minority!

My watches do get wet, but I'm not what you'd call a "diver". I have done it, but didn't wear a treasured watch at the time... And of course I'd swap in a rubber strap or bracelet if I was taking a plunge. But of all the watches out there, it's the diver's that I'm drawn to for their rugged and robust styling and easy visibility. The lume has appeal too, especially on this one :D

I don't think I am alone in appreciating watches for style and function, even if I don't take them to their limits. How many pilots' watches are worn by pilots and how many Breitling Emergency owners regularly expose themselves to situations when they'd need to send out an international distress call?!

I found another type of "Japanese tool watch" when browsing the internet the other night. Anyone seen the Stanley watches?!

http://holidaygiftguide.engadget.com...ction-watches/

Anthony

The chronissimo option you've got (on WUS) is a good suggestion.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

it look very gooddddddddddddddddd

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    (better then the one on a yellow strap the other day!)
    aww come on Jon, what's not to like about this? Subtle strap for a subtle watch. :lol:

Master

nope not for me, it needs a notched 22 seiko flat vent 8)

Journeyman

I wear my Sinn 142 on a Chronissimo too - its a great strap!
    Looks good an wears even better :)

Journeyman

The yellow strap is unique! :shock:
    Or at least I hope it is ;)

Quote Originally Posted by diver2
    The yellow strap is unique! :shock:
    Or at least I hope it is ;)
    Nope, it is a good value nice rubber strap (albeit in some circles not a great match for the mm300 :D ), originally intended i believe for the PRS17C and available from our very fine host at the timefactors website. :)

Looks great to me!

I wear my SKX173 on a chronissimo from time to time. Excellent strap and complements dive watches beautifully I think!

Seiko divers need rubber.

Even the MM's bracelet - which is pretty much the best in the business - doesn't look or feel so right as the rubber strap*.

*After you've boiled it

Master

Whilst I'm not averse to divers on leather (see thread here), the MM is not one I'd want to wear other than on the bracelet or a black Nato. That Seiko bracelet is one of the best out of any of my divers. Just my opinion, though.

Cheers,

Nigel