closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Kronos diver: Ray Wong eBay spesh

Grand Master

Kronos diver: Ray Wong eBay spesh

I bought a cheap-'n'cheerful RN-style dive watch off Ray Wong's eBay shop recently, to see if I liked the forthcoming PRS-3's shape. It cost me £34 plus a tenner for shipping - about the price of two unremarkable lunches in the restaurants near my office. So it's home-made sarnies for the next few Fridays.

I pulled the scratchy nylon strap off it and put on a Timefactors NATO, fresh from the washing machine:

The 20mm lug width seems a bit skinny, even though this was the original standard spec. The new PRS-3 fixes this.

The case brushing isn't the last word in refinement, but it's evenly done. The case edges are generally crisp although the bevelling at each lug corner, such a characteristic of this watch type, is blurry and indistinct. It's nice to see a reasonably clean finish between the lugs, where I was expecting it to be untouched after manufacture. The bezel is workmanlike, but clear and with good lume in the 12 o'clock pip. I've looked for misalignment really hard (this hobby is not good for you in that respect :shock: ) but cannot see one. The screwed caseback looks a bit thin but I reckon it's good for 10 atm.

The screw-down crown is nice and big, doesn't wobble when it's out, and winds in and out smoothly.

Now for the bad parts. Bezel pip aside the lume is pathetic, almost non-existent, and so green in daylight that one of Eddie's olive NATOs is appropriate, but at least the printing is crisp. And the movement is gash - the absolute bottom-end non-Swiss ETA one can buy. The second-hand seems never to hit the same point on the dial twice, landing around each second hash mark at random. I didn't need to take the back off to know that the movement ring is large and made of plastic; a good watch of this size, with a proper steel spacer and suitable movement, weighs more than this.

So you can see where the cost has come out. I doubt the movement and dial/hands cost much more than a few pounds. The case is probably the best bit of it. I like the shape too, so one day when the piggy bank is full enough, I'll have a PRS-3 with its shapelier and better-spaced lugs, good movement and properly engineered construction - and put the in the SC for a few quid.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Re: Kronos diver: Ray Wong eBay spesh

It certainly looks ok for what it cost :wink:
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by boddah
    It certainly looks ok for what it cost :wink:
    Have to say, it's probably the biggest concern I have, that it's so cheap.

I mean, people bawl and whine about how expensive stuff is in the UK, and Primark and Matalan etc respond with T-shirts and hoodies that cost under three pound. But you have to ask how they manage to do that (although in this case you can remove the big 100% retail mark-up because the seller is selling direct; if sold through a retailer, it would be priced above a Seiko quartz and below an Orient Mako, which is perhaps where its capabilities lie).

I've had 3 in various guises and was fairly happy with them for the money - they certainly beat anything from Argos at the price. Agree about the lume though, it was awful.

Master

I've got the PVD version of this and it's been remarkably robust. It keeps good time, the PVD has all stayed on through a variety of "beater" duties and it's been exposed to water and various chemicals without any affect. However I echo your comments on the second hand not hitting the markers and neither does the bezel. I could always pop out the bezel insert and line it up properly, but haven't bothered.

The lume is very poor. In writing that I recall something else. The lume started to darken and go almost black on the plongeur minute hand within weeks. I contacted Ray and he described it as a "a rapid ageing effect to make the watch look vintage". I disagreed with this and he said if I returned the watch to him he'd fit another minute hand. I preferred he sent me a replacement hand and I'd fit it myself. Which I did. It lasted longer but all hands are now quite dark. The lume never really glowed anyway.

It's my go-to watch for all those jobs you shouldn't really wear a watch for and it's lasted the course. So for the money, they look pretty good on the wrist and they do the job. Don't think you should expect much more at this price point...

Anthony

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by frp422
    I've got the PVD version of this and it's been remarkably robust. It keeps good time, the PVD has all stayed on through a variety of "beater" duties and it's been exposed to water and various chemicals without any affect.
    Useful comments, thanks - might end up keeping this for longer than I intended, given the £36-odd outlay :)

If the case is that good, then ignoring for a sec the alarmingly cheap price, it may be worth upgrading the innards to make a decent dive watch with a good Swiss movement and some nice lume on the dial and hands for well under £100 all-in. Worth exploring...

Grand Master

I've also 'enjoyed' one of his offerings & for the ££ it's great - although the abuse it took (well, the same as anything else on my wrist), ultimately destroyed it (the movement that is) .. so it was moded (as the case was all that was of any use) ..
    /vince ..

I am wearing a PVD now and for the money give it 100% . I have no issues with any hands lining up etc. Lume is bloody great and lasts all night.
    maybe its a different batch?

But what a great watch to Mod !

I will be getting the tip of the second hand done it red to make it stand out more.

Interesting that the second hand is funtioning from a nonsymetrical gear!

Craftsman

Surely you cannot loose at that price simply throw away.

Cheers

Journeyman

I gave one of the PVD version to my brother and he loves it, that was a few months ago and no problems with it so far.

That looks too good to be true Andrew, a nice looking piece 8)