30 32.61%
  • Diver

53 57.61%
  • A.N. Other

9 9.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chrono or Diver?

Chrono or Diver?

I've got a couple chronos in my embryonic collection, and I seem to be moving away from them with the acquisition of a couple of divers (hopefully receiving my latest today). Anyone else seem to go through this change in direction? Have fashions changed or am I simply developing my WIS palate?

Master

Re: Chrono or Diver?

I was very much in the chrono camp at the start of my WISdom but increasingly I find more simple watches preferable, hence divers.

Grand Master

I've always been a fan of divers, that has not changed in many years. But I also like chronographs as well, so I have combined the 2 in the past & will, no doubt, do so again in the future (would love a Heritage Chrono).

/vince ..

Journeyman

hello
    i also started my collection with chrono
    but now i sell all and i have only divers
    i prefer divers. are very strong for me, more rare a very well built
    the only chrono i have is a zenith rainbow el primero

Craftsman

Its divers for me at the moment :lol:

Good question. I own 11 watches, 6 divers and 5 chronos. Maybe I should get a chrono diver's next!

In the venn diagram of watchdom, the intersection between divers and chronos is my happy place - Sinn, IWC, Panerai etc - the best of both worlds.

Craftsman

Have to admit I like both, hence I have a few of each.

I'm firmly in the Diver's camp. I tried a Chrono by buying a cheap Seiko but couldn't live with it or ever see me needing the timing function. So it got flipped in favour of another Diver.

Divers all the way for me as I prefer the bigger,heavier feel of them.

Journeyman

I really like the combination for the two, I own a SMP Chrono which does for me at the moment chrono wise, but have also dabbled in Fortis B42 marine Master Chrono earlier. These combination watches have been the ones I have enjoyed most compared to my other divers.

/P.sebastian

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    I've always been a fan of divers, that has not changed in many years. But I also like chronographs as well, so I have combined the 2 in the past & will, no doubt, do so again in the future (would love a Heritage Chrono).
    +1
    Can't fault that logic... :wink:

-flugzeit

Journeyman

Both, I seem to wear them alternatively.

My Speedmaster 321 '67 is my favourite chrono.

At the risk of confusing the issue, how 'authentic' is a chrono diver? Do real divers use/need chronos? Can they work them with big gloves on? Or is the idea that it's a diver's watch that you can use as a chrono on terra firma? I've always thought that they looked like they were trying to do too much - the watch equivalent of an Chelsea tractor... but never having swum at a depth greater than about a metre, I'm probably wrong.

There should be an option in the poll for chrono divers, seems a few of us have them!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Diver for me please - got (or had) a couple chronos too but even they are quite hefty - i guess i like bulky tool types :)

It's Diver for me, sold my last Chrono in Oct 2008, a Zenith Chronomaster, lovely watch but hardly ever used the feature of the Chrono, now am happy with the Seiko ska371 for daily wear and have started to look at GMT watches possibly the Sinn 857 utc as the next one.

Master

I've always been a chrono lover and still am. I find the function useful, although I'm in a minority there.

I'd say about 75% of my watches are chronos. I do buy time-only watches but I don't wear them very often - I miss the timer.

So get what you like, not what you think your collection should contain.

[can of worms]

I thought the 'Chrono Diver' was simply a product of form over function. I can't see why any Diver would want to use a chronograph ..

[/can of worms]

Journeyman

Like divers as wel as chrono's
    Have a SMP Chrono Ti, and this watch does it al for me.
    The pics of the Breitling DiverChrono's are making my mouth water.. Who knows what the future will bring.

Good luck on your choice

Rgds
    Feike

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregR
    [can of worms]

I thought the 'Chrono Diver' was simply a product of form over function. I can't see why any Diver would want to use a chronograph ..

[/can of worms]
    I am a recreational diver & I agree that you'll not use the chrono under the water, I have nevertheless used it above to get the elapsed time between dives on a 2 dive trip, so I know when I can safely dive again. Whilst I agree this is neither necessary or the reason behind a diver chrono it was handy. So I agree with the last post!
    /vince ..

Like many others i dont have any specific preferences. But at the moment my IWC 3717 is getting considerably more wristtime than any of my divers :)

Hi all

Divers watch all the way for me, Oddly I always used to like chronographs and have had a few, but as my interest in watches has increased my interest in chronographs has diminished, this seems to be mirrored by all my non watch enthusiast friends who think chronographs are far more impressive than non chrono watches.

For me i think it has something to do with how 'fussy' the dial is on them all I know is that I wouldn't buy one now.

Ben

I'm another one who had a few chronographs before I learnt more about watches. Now I prefer simpler, more purposeful designs.

I don't buy anything with pointless flashing lights, extra gauges or other superfluous features - especially if it's expensive like a watch.

Master

I prefer plainer faces on the whole now and so chrono's tend to not fit that bill. Saying that I don't like all divers either, so what about dress watches etc?

Saying that I've still got two Breitling Chronomats that I love (and my wife prefers to the GMTIIC). I never use the chronographs though (in fact I leave them running) as it is just the appearance that I like.

Craftsman

I'm sure most of us own both but in my exerience I have found I never use the chrono function but I do use my bezel all the time - parking meter, cooking times, etc.

Master

Divers for me lately, had three chrono's, all gone now. If I do go after one again it will have to be big and vintage.

:)

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Guess :D

Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I am having a similar dilemma....and I thinking toward Chrono as it will be used for what it was designed for than a diver...the deepest i've been is about 1 meter :)

Craftsman

My first "good" watch was a chrono, a Speedy MkII purchased new back in '74, and I've always had a fondness for them though never used the chrono function much - I just like/ed the look of 'em. My sentimental favourite of all time is this one:

a 1983 7A38-7029. I purchased one new in '83 when they first came out and it was my daily wearer for 7 years until it was stolen. Took me 20 years to find another (didn't know the model number) but now we've been re-united, all is well again.

I do love divers, and have more of them than chrono's, but those little sub-dials always do it for me.

Master

Dave - just had to say that you have got some great pics and really interesting watches.

Please do a full post with all the details if you have the time.

It's great to have you here :thumbright:

I couldnt live without my chronos... but more and more i seem to be drifting to watches with orange accents like the seconds hand or like the ploprof hands...

Had a diver,swapped for a GMT,now going back to a diver(got 2 chrono's)so it's swaying back and forth for me.When something comes along that you fancy it's hard to resist.Cracking Omega sm200 on sc at the moment and desperately trying to put the funds together,looks like another will be up for sale! :D

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by PeterM
    Dave - just had to say that you have got some great pics and really interesting watches.

Please do a full post with all the details if you have the time.

It's great to have you here :thumbright:

Cheers mate, I appreciate that and I will do a show 'n tell in the near future!

Chrono for me.

Always had a diver or diver(s) in the collection, now rationalised down to a 5513 Sub, THE classic diver. Am trying to persuade myself I don't need a chrono, but if I were to take the plunge, would need to be one in the same ballpark classicity-wise as the Sub. Speedmaster Moon would fit the bill nicely methinks, was tempted by the SMP chrono but is more a divers/chrono hybrid, if you're going to take the plunge may as well go the whole chrono hog as it were.

Master

I have one chronograph in my collection, and that is all I need really. I am on the lookout for an Omega Aqua Terra now, so voted for divers. Although saying that, wanted to vote for A.N. Other as really into pilots and GMT watches as well. I have more chance of being a pilot than I do being a diver :wink:

I had the same thing - started off with a couple of chronos but then started to be more drawn to divers.

There's something about the purity of form which follows from a watch needimg to be strong, reliable and easy to read that attracts me.

Like both divers & chrono's & like diver chrono too

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Overall I am probably more drawn to divers, not cos I need the water resistance (I only ever swim in a pool!) but because I percieve they will be tougher and stand up tp more abuse than 'standard' watches. My first 'good' watch was an omega smp chrono - best of both worlds and you can use the chrono function underwater which I think is something of a rarity.

Journeyman

The results speak for themselves I suppose. I had guessed this already:

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93438

Still prefer the chrono though.

The Sinn U1000 has usable pushers at the watches depth rating, oversized for use with gloves and large 60 minute counter, it gets my vote for the best combo watch for these reasons.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims
    Like both divers & chrono's & like diver chrono too

Two of the nicest diver chronos imo. I also like both divers and chronos, even if I mostly have acquired divers lately. Can't afford a Aquatimer or CA but hopefully this (which I hope arrives tomorrow :bom: ) will be a good one:

Chrono if it's a display back and you can see the complications.

2 divers in my collection, SMP 2254 & Seiko SKX031. Love the clean look of them both & favour them at present. Also have a Seiko Titanium Chrono which whilst not particularly special feels perfect in size & looks great & is a particular favourite.

So I enjoy both Chrono & Diver.

Craftsman

4 Divers, 3 Chronos so guess it a diver vote

Cheers

Chrono for me too, still looking for the right mechanical one, but the infamous Pulsar Military is doing me fine at the moment

Voted divers for me. Omega SMP, Broadarrow PRS3, and recently Seiko SBBN007 :)

Rod

I went for chrono - despite my deteriorating eyesight I love the 'complication' (but not the servicing costs :( )

That said, my divers outnumber my chronos by a considerable margin :?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 2wrists
    At the risk of confusing the issue, how 'authentic' is a chrono diver? Do real divers use/need chronos?
    Do divers need a mechanical watch, or a mechanical anything?

A high-end mechanical dive watch with 18th Century innards is as irrelevant as it gets. But it's not about relevance :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!