closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying a Speedmaster Pro in New York next May

Buying a Speedmaster Pro in New York next May

I will be visiting New York next May, and was wondering if there are decent savings to be made rather than buying new here. Does anyone have any experiences of buying from ADs in the US?

Ta :)

Master

Re: Buying a Speedmaster Pro in New York next May

Obviously will depend on the exchange rate in May although from what I've heard discounts are easier to get in the USA.

But if you are in Manhattan then don't forget the 8% sales tax on top of the price you pay...

Last time I looked (Florida) it was not worth it.

With the exchange rate & up to 20% discount available over here if you put a bit of work in why would you (other than a holiday/trip souvenir).
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    But if you are in Manhattan then don't forget the 8% sales tax on top of the price you pay...
    Very true, and more in some states. I travel a lot and check out local Omega prices as often as I can, but like most other high-value global brands they seem to do a good job of ensuring no one territory is significantly cheaper. Rapid exchange-rate moves can catch them out, of course, and I'd be delighted to hear of anywhere savings CAN be had!

And you have to ask yourself if a small saving is worth the hassle - it's good to build a relationship with your local AD should something go wrong or you plan to buy more from them...

Grand Master

Leaving aside the inability to predict the future (do you know what the spot rate will be in 7 months?) I'd still say no chance.

Do a 10-second search and you'll find the RRP of Speedipro is $4300. At the current rate, that's over £3000. Then add NYC sales tax, to which you will not be entitled a refund because it isn't a VAT, that's £3,250. If you declare the watch at customs and pay VAT and duty, as you'd have to on a watch at home, that totals over £3800. UK price is £2100. That's some discount you'll have to shoot for!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Leaving aside the inability to predict the future (do you know what the spot rate will be in 7 months?) I'd still say no chance.

Do a 10-second search and you'll find the RRP of Speedipro is $4300. At the current rate, that's over £3000. Then add NYC sales tax, to which you will not be entitled a refund because it isn't a VAT, that's £3,250. If you declare the watch at customs and pay VAT and duty, as you'd have to on a watch at home, that totals over £3800. UK price is £2100. That's some discount you'll have to shoot for!
    Yeah, I should have added that the consensus is that the UK is among the cheapest places to buy right now, so we're probably in for more prices rises!

I was lucky enough in December 06 to get my Tag Aquagraph in Macy's New York Store for $1325.00 inc Sales tax. I purchased my dollars at $1.98 to the £ so was really pleased with that.

buy one in the UK now or in duty free before you leave, UK is still pretty cheap compared to other markets
    a good discount is pretty realistic on an omega and they are pretty easy to be found.

Many thanks for the replys fellas! Seems Watches are not like electronic good where they are normally half the price in the US as here. Rip off Britain is no more!

I think I will probably go with £2090 using the 36mths IFC plus 15% cashback via quidco @ Goldsmiths or try and pick one up s/h for around £1200/1300.

I asked in store at Goldsmiths if they were able to match the quidco cashback offer, but was told no chance of any discount and the salesman had no idea how quidco could offer it. :|

Even electronics are not that cheap anymore... when I was in Canada in the Summer its was lots cheaper to buy here...

The money for the quidco comes from Goldsmiths..

At the rate it's going expect cable (dollar v.pound) parity by May!

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    The money for the quidco comes from Goldsmiths..
    You can’t expect a salesman to know how these complicated affiliate thingies work, gawd bless ’em :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!