closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just dipped my toe into Panerai - thoughts

Just dipped my toe into Panerai - thoughts

Good sunday all, I hope you've all had a great weekend.

I must admit I never 'got' the whole Panerai thing, I thought the watches looked a bit 'fashion' for my taste and every iteration seemed to look virtually identical. Plus the whole oversize case movement was not my bag - I felt the Luminors paled into insignificance when up against the Rolex Sports range as an example despite being in the same price category.

Anyway, bit by bit I have started to appreciate the heritage and the design behind the Panerais and knew that pretty soon it would be an itch I needed to scratch.

Roll on yesterday and I managed to acquire a PAM 111 from Hasan on the forum. And what a cracker it is.

First thing is that the crown guard, rather than being a design 'gimmick' as I had felt previously, actually serves its purpose brilliantly, ensuring water tightness and also guarding against unnecessary knocks. But most importantly, the legibility on the watch is amazing. Clear, simple dial, unfussy hands, beautiful sandwich dial and easily read numbers combined with terrific lume. Far from being a fashion watch it really does do 'what it says on the tin'.

The sapphire caseback is a nice touch but isn't anything you wouldn't see on a Stowa MO at a fifth of the price. This watch came with a butterfly clasp as opposed to the buckle it usually comes with - this is a very worthwhile addition. But the thing that strikes home most is it isn't really a case of getting a 'Panerai or a Rolex', they are really completely different watches and whilst they compete in the same space price-wise, they couldn't be more different in terms of styling and actually the situations they would use them for. As an example, the PAM 111 is rated waterproof to 300 metres, however even though it comes with a separate rubber strap it is not going anywhere near the sea - my Sub ND feels far more sturdy and better suited on the wrist (it is far less intrusive compared to the PAM, which whilst gorgeous, does give one the impression of having a big mac strapped to the wrist compared to the Rolex).

But I am definitely glad I got the Panerai, the only problem is I now have my eye on a Luminor GMT. More expense!

I have included a couple of basic pics, I hope you like them :)

Re: Just dipped my toe into Panerai - thoughts

pams are cool had a few in my time , about 10 ? i think

good choice the 111, my first ones were the original g series pam 5 and 0
    yeah i bought two within a coupla weeks :)
    cant go wrong with the historics/ base models .
    its what the brand is all about imho.

but you are correct once you have one you will want another :)

the automatic ones are great for everyday use

let the strap fest begin :D

i have a couple in my safe right now lol
    two gmt ones at that :) 228 and my brothers 63c

Master

panerai its the way forward :)

Nice pics, the problem for me with these watches is, there are so many different models, but 90% look the same :(
    This is not just a Panerai issue, but a lot of companies just play safe.

Congrats on the 111...
    bewarned though, it's a slippery slope from here.. next you will find yourself eyeing a customised strap for it (vintage ammo, exotic leather..), and then radiomirs, the subs, the A-B series, the Pre-As and then the vintages...it's never ending... :mrgreen:

My 111 says hi - you've got good tastes :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the world of Panerai. An historic brand and a long way removed from a 'fashion fad'. The brands ill-informed detractors do irritate me.

On a positive note, glad you like the 111 and pleased to read your positive words in support of the folding buckle. I prefer them to the pin buckle personally for numerous reasons, but accept i'm in the minority.

Anyway, as said previously, i'm confident another will join it as soon as funds permit, as will numerous straps, i have no doubt :)

Master

Very nice, congratulations!

I love my 024 and am very tempted to get another PAM, maybe a 111,88 or a 104.....time will tell :wink:

Grand Master

I think i will see another post just like this next Saturday by dejjl, although it will be a 177 :D

Grand Master

I think you have made a good decision to dip your toe, better to have tried and failed than never tried at all, clearly some of us on here are Paneristi fans and others (mostly never owned one) are haters!
    But regardless of brand if it makes you glow then its a good feeling, and you can afford it then why not!

You only live once and its a short life
    RIAC

Lovely PAM 111, one of my favs 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Be careful, you have started exatly the same way as me with the 111. Since then I have got a 232 and have a feeling that my next purchase will be a 25. Very slippery slope!

Master

very nice 8)

Excellent choice,don't think you can go far wrong with the 111,nice classic styling,enjoy :wink:

Enjoy it Ryan......

It's now like kind of looking at an ex girlfriend when viewing those pics :roll:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jedly1
    Is that right :-)

Grand Master

Its just a way! A very good way, A way I like alot, A way that makes me smile.

But So does my other branded watches....just not quite as much
    RIAC

Master

Noice 8)

They are cracking watches IMO, I love the simplicity and the versatility.

The options for straps are almost endless, very easy to change, even things like the buckles there is a lot of choice. Something I recently found was the Submarine buckles. Buy a few straps for relatively little coin and you have many watches in one so to speak.

The thing I find frustrating is the availiability... Finding your first one/dipping your toe is easy. For me it was a 221. Now I am on the hunt for another PAM and the options are pay over the odds or waiting list for ages... :evil:

Enjoy :)

I love these watches to. I have a large wrist and these sit perfectly on it making the watch look just the right size. Love the weight as well

Grand Master

I like 'em, but as of yet have not taken the plunge .. been tempted by the 111 several times, almost bought one a couple of years ago for £1800 at some place in New Bond Street, a pity I did not!
    /vince ..

Very nice, is this one a keeper?
    still waiting for my PAM28L, have to make do with image at the mo'

Grand Master

Now then the 305....ummmmmmmmmmmmm ummm!
    RIAC

Great choice, I saw this on SC and was very tempted.

111 or 312, why is life so hard :)

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    I like 'em, but as of yet have not taken the plunge .. been tempted by the 111 several times, almost bought one a couple of years ago for £1800 at some place in New Bond Street, a pity I did not!
    £1800 ? wow, must be many moons ago :)

I was going for a stroll there over the weekend and didn't find any 111's, it was a panic in WOS and service wasn't great.

Any recommendations around the area for PAM's, I saw a small dealer that had some instock in Burlington Walk.

panerai it's look great

Panerai are the coolest watches on the planet. Something for everyone in terms of size and style, dress up dress down whatever the occasion. My collection currently has 88, 90, 104, 196, 26 & 287. Plus a load of straps.

I think it is also important to note that since the J serial was introduced a couple of years back, they also brought in a fast strap change mechanism which makes changing the look of the watch even easier.
    :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Noice 8)
    The thing I find frustrating is the availiability... Finding your first one/dipping your toe is easy. For me it was a 221. Now I am on the hunt for another PAM and the options are pay over the odds or waiting list for ages... :evil:
    Option 3 - ask your mate for some ideas and get one reserved at a sensible price the same day. :D :wink:

Fantastic watch...many congrats :D

...my 112 says hello :P

Craftsman

I have sold my 112g and shipped to Australia a few month ago - remember2: you picture makes me feel sick in the stomach - I want my 112 back!!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD
    Noice 8)
    Option 3 - ask your mate for some ideas and get one reserved at a sensible price the same day. :D :wink:
    :D :lol:

Nice lume shot on the 112 there 8)

112 or 111, that is the question :)

I have my mate's 111 here with me at the moment, and I can't let it go!!!

Master

Getting you first PAM is like opening a tube of pringles, once you pop you can't stop :D

I started out with a 250, currently have a 24 and 292, love both of them.

Its very true what they say about starting a strap quest and it doesn stop with the PAM's either :lol:

its the 112 for me every time. simple beauty.

I'll probably be shot for heresy, but was fortunate enough to own one of the original genuine RXW MM20s, a homage to the Panerai 1952 depending on what internet forum you read at the time.... Great watch but the 47mm size was a wee bitty too large. Would be very tempted by a current titanium Panerai.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM
    I'll probably be shot for heresy, but was fortunate enough to own one of the original genuine RXW MM20s, a homage to the Panerai 1952 depending on what internet forum you read at the time.... Great watch but the 47mm size was a wee bitty too large. Would be very tempted by a current titanium Panerai.
    Yep, not tough to be overwhelmed by 47mm - I had a MM in 47mm to test the size before a possible 127 purchase and it just wasn't right. 44mm is perfect for me and my skinny girl-wrists.

And coming from the Rolex crazed Mr.Milsub that's high praise indeed....perhaps an incoming Italian Stallion is on its way in the form of a 203. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A
    Getting you first PAM is like opening a tube of pringles, once you pop you can't stop :D

I started out with a 250, currently have a 24 and 292, love both of them.

Its very true what they say about starting a strap quest and it doesn stop with the PAM's either :lol:
    Only if PAMs were 1.99 from Tesco's :)

I'm going broke, might have to find a new hobby soon!

What I don't like about the handwound 44mm Panerais is the fact that the fakes have the same Unitas movement, which apparently costs £70 in bulk. I know a lot of time is spent on refinishing but I'm sure much more goes to marketing and AD commission.

Quote Originally Posted by zecko
    What I don't like about the handwound 44mm Panerais is the fact that the fakes have the same Unitas movement, which apparently costs £70 in bulk. I know a lot of time is spent on refinishing but I'm sure much more goes to marketing and AD commission.
    The difference is in the markings :)

the print OF on the movement is worth £2930

Quote Originally Posted by nate

111 for me. It was my first Panerai and I still think it is the one which best represents the spirit of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Stud

111 for me. It was my first Panerai and I still think it is the one which best represents the spirit of the brand.
    I've been wearing my 210 today, and somehow I miss the second dial from the 111. The 210 feels too "simple" :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Stud

I've been wearing my 210 today, and somehow I miss the second dial from the 111. The 210 feels too "simple" :)
    I sometimes get this with my 232; simple and BIG. When I wear the 111 after the 232 I catch myself thinking what a small dial it has! :roll:

Journeyman

Also started with a 111. Then got some straps from Toshi. Change them quite often, and it feels like a different watch....

Quote Originally Posted by 12manywatches
    And coming from the Rolex crazed Mr.Milsub that's high praise indeed....perhaps an incoming Italian Stallion is on its way in the form of a 203. :lol:
    naah i know its ten times better than a 203 :) :wink:

mr milsub needed some new direction as his own rolex collection was more or less done a long time ago :)

Congrats on a great purchase. I bought a brand new 111 earlier in the year and love it.

WOS in Bond Street had a 111 in their window last Saturday.

Craftsman

Oh, really want a black croc strap for my panni, looks fantastic :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by 146edward
    Oh, really want a black croc strap for my panni, looks fantastic :bounce:
    I have a brand new unused still in the wrapper oem Panerai Aligator in black. They sell for £250ish I believe. Might be tempted to let it go 8)

Quote Originally Posted by EliStone
    I have sold my 112g and shipped to Australia a few month ago - remember2: you picture makes me feel sick in the stomach - I want my 112 back!!!!
    Hehe sorry. I looooove that watch :D

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

i did like the OP and bought a pam 90 lately (power reserve 44mm). Before that i had a pam 48.
    Love them.