closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GMT IIC Problems.. UPDATE!

GMT IIC Problems.. UPDATE!

Hi Guys,
    how long is the warranty for the new GMT IIC? is it still 2 years? today for some reason i was unable to move my crown to the first postion to move the hour hand independently of GMT hand.. it just doesnt click into place and can no longer adjust the hour hand independelty :( :( .. even when i do manage to get it into the correct position, the hand moves for a short while then stops moving :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ..
    watch is from July 2007 so i am rather hoping that the warranty isnt 2 years otherwise i am in for an expensive trip to rolex :( :( :(
    This is a major pity siince it was my favourite watch ...
    anything like this ever happe ded to any other GMT rolex owners?
    Mamas

Re: GMT IIC Problems

hmmm odd thing to happen warranty is 2 years however if you know a nice AD they will often do/organise goodwill repairs IMHO :wink:

Best of luck
    Tim

unfortunately i bought this used so may not be so lucky... :( :(
    how long does Rolex usually take for turnarounds?
    Mamas

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by omegaUK
    unfortunately i bought this used so may not be so lucky... :( :(
    how long does Rolex usually take for turnarounds?
    Mamas
    I was quoted 13 weeks for a service on a dj.

thanks.. i am going to San Franscico next weekend and would be actually useful to have a GMT function :cry: :cry:
    Will take my SD instead incase i find myself 1200m below the ocean. I must say however i am slightly dissapointed as rolexes tend to have a very good reputation for reliablity..especially on a new model one would have thought..

Just dropped it off at Goldsmiths to send to Bexley.. the sales woman thought it may have been a problem with the battery :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and she didnt know what a GMT function was :shock: :shock: and they had the cheek to charge £15 "handling fees" .. i wont ever go to Goldsmiths again thats for sure..

they made me send the warranty card along with the watch so i am hoping that it will be fixed under warranty.. (2 months out of warranty)

I have my seadweller strapped on now.. and it actually makes you realise how good the GMT IIC is compared to the older watches.. sure the watch is a bit bling, but the clasp is superb and the maxi-dial is a step in the right direction.. hopefully wont wait too long... :(

Master
    Blog Entries

Just dropped it off at Goldsmiths to send to Bexley.. the sales woman thought it may have been a problem with the battery :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: and she didnt know what a GMT function was :shock: :shock: and they had the cheek to charge £15 "handling fees" .. i wont ever go to Goldsmiths again thats for sure..

they made me send the warranty card along with the watch so i am hoping that it will be fixed under warranty.. (2 months out of warranty)

I have my seadweller strapped on now.. and it actually makes you realise how good the GMT IIC is compared to the older watches.. sure the watch is a bit bling, but the clasp is superb and the maxi-dial is a step in the right direction.. hopefully wont wait too long... :(
    That about sums up Goldsmiths :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman

That about sums up Goldsmiths :roll:
    They are not on their own - piss poor service!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The interview for staff should include a test that defines if they have a clue about watches or even the slightest passion for what they are dealing with :shock:

Or perhaps training and regular product knowledge assesments

think Apple stores imagine going in with an iPhone and saying 'how do you turn on the wifi' and the assistant saying 'dunno mate what's wifi'

it just wouldn't happen but I hear it regullarly here and have experienced it

Sad to hear this.

My watchmaker has recently joined forces with another guy who is a Rolex trained watchmaker. He used to work for an authorized AD back in the day and told me some very interesting info regarding the QC of Rolex SA and the development of their latest movements. Suffice is to say that neither the Rolex movements nor their manufacturing are void of problems or quality control issues. - What is man made is prone for breakage, especially something like mechanical watch movements that consists of such a number of tiny parts that need to function together within tight tolerances and which are victims for constantly varying degrees of accelerating and decelerating centrifugal forces that change their direction constantly.

Rolex movements might be astonishing but they have not been invented nor made by any Alien race that possesses higher intelligence or more advanced technology. In the end of the day it is just a delicate miniature mechanical machine prone for breakage. - Just like my IWC which went totally kaput and which has just been fully operated and back in business. - For a while at least. That is what I hope as the repair costs were something that I guess only an Alien race would accept as "fair" :roll:

Lesson? Buy quartz and never look back.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by TKH
    The interview for staff should include a test that defines if they have a clue about watches or even the slightest passion for what they are dealing with :shock:
    Perhaps they do already do this - and if they know anything about watches, they DON'T employ them.

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    Lesson? Buy quartz and never look back.
    The only watches I've ever had a problem with have been quartz - 2 Omegas and 1 Beaume & Mercier. Any problems and they replace the movement, and charge you for it....

Blog Entries

If you want to - please pm me for a watchmaker I can recommend - he just turned around a full service on my Rolex SD - very professional service and 1/3rd of the price of a Rolex service - 12months warranty on the work. I will be getting the watch back in a few days time and plan to put a report on H&V for reference for those interested.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Hi,few months ago popped into Goldsmiths for a Rolex catalogue ,was told by an elderly assistant that they just didn't hand out catalogues to anyone!
    Walked out £500 richer because I instantly cancelled my order on a Rolex Milgauss.
    The main point being that I will never set foot in one of their shops again,so that about sums up my feelings on Goldsmiths. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Re: GMT IIC Problems.. UPDATE!

Well got the phone call today from Goldsmiths to say that my GMT-IIC was back from Rolex. This time i dealt with a nice youngish chap who wore a seadweller and seemed to know his watches. we spoke for a while about watch collecting and i recommended tz-uk. He mentioned someone had come in the day before with a 30 yrs old SD.. one of you guys?? :lol: :lol:
    anyway back to the rolex.. despite it being 2 months out of warranty, rolex fixed it within warranty..so i didnt pay anything.. although didn't give me any extended warranty .. so have to say i am happy with rolex esp given that they stand behind their product 2 months out of warranty .. a happy ending.. although we often whine about rolex etc.. i can only praise them and their quick turnaround time in this situation

Has anyone had experience with Rolex warranty when it's not in your name?
    I've heard this can be quite tricky.

I have a sub, bought from a grey dealer which has the warranty card filled in with their name.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by nate

I have a sub, bought from a grey dealer which has the warranty card filled in with their name.

Thanks,
    Well.. forgot to add this.. i am the thrid owner of this watch!!! ie name on the card is not mine...so obviously this was not an issue in my case

great result

Hats off to Rolex then, glad you got it sorted :)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Thanks,
    Well.. forgot to add this.. i am the thrid owner of this watch!!! ie name on the card is not mine...so obviously this was not an issue in my case
    Great news - thanks Omega

Sounds like decent customer service

Its nice to hear given the state of everything else in the world economy, although I guess they have priced for it in some way

Master

Thanks,
    Should be fine, watches are bought as gifts and I am fairly sure my warranty card from EJ last year does not have my name on it

Thanks,
    the warrantys are transferable arnt they,thats what iv always thought,but im not definate on that?