closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watches & gadgets

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Watches & gadgets

As some may know i am a gadget freak.
    I thought of many things i would like, but then decide to save towards a watch.

Anyone else ever been in this position?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Master

Re: Watches & gadgets

only in the last 6 months...no other gadget is on my mind at all....

Master
    Blog Entries

PS3, Fatman valve amp, new home cinema system and a camera have all been sacrificed in favour of watches. I think it boils dowm to disposable income, i tend to be fairly careful with watch purchases and have never lost more than a few quid when moving them on. Gadgets loose money far quicke due to advancing technology.

Craftsman

I can also confess to being a gadget freak!

Unfortunately my most recent phase was to relive my youth and buy a mountain bike. The next problem is that i cant just have any bike, it has to be the 'best' bike. So now i type with only a loaf of bread to keep me going for the next week and my watch fund looking a little low!!

Used to be quite a gadget nut, but discovered watches and they've taken over... Not really got any cash left over to spend on gadgets nowadays!

Craftsman

As with most men, both gadgets and watches catch my eye. Unfortunately, neither are cheap pastimes :( so they end up competing.

Saying that, in the last two months I have splashed out on a Bue PRS 3 LE and a ReadyNAS Duo (for safely storing all my photos, videos, files etc whilst being able to share my printer amongst all the computers in the house, stream videos, photos and music to my PS3 and download torrents of the latest series of Heroes) :D

Journeyman

I'm pretty immune to the gadget thing, I got through loads of PDAs though, Psion II, Microwriter Agenda, Apple Newton, Palm V iPaq (utter shit) , P800, P900, P910. P990, now happily stuck on the iPhone and can't see myself moving for a while. Currently got a bit of a watch fund but haven't found anything I like enough recently. :roll:

Master

Go through phases - computing gadgets, watches, currently back into my kitcar, which costs way more than watches do. More exciting though :D

Pete

I'm a freak when it comes to anything new, help me!!

my biggest addictions are apple products and watches; iphones, airports, macbooks, macpros, appletv you name it and I probably have it!!

I'm looking on the apple website for a wireless keyboard and mouse now, the missus is going to get annoyed heh.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x
    I can also confess to being a gadget freak!

Unfortunately my most recent phase was to relive my youth and buy a mountain bike. The next problem is that i cant just have any bike, it has to be the 'best' bike. So now i type with only a loaf of bread to keep me going for the next week and my watch fund looking a little low!!
    Haha, this is funny - I did the same last year :lol:

Yes also a huge gadget freak. Love anything techy

However, for once in my life I seem to have everything I need gadget wise :shock: So funds are now being depleted on the watch collection...

Funny thing is I love gadgets but not gadgety watches. I'd happily shell out for the latest machine that goes ping but when it comes to timepieces the most complicated I've ever owned is a 7750 based chronograph. I clearly need to do something about this :lol:

Craftsman

i get my gadgety phones from work for nowt and that usually does me, they wont buy me watches though.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcoll
    Go through phases - computing gadgets, watches, currently back into my kitcar, which costs way more than watches do. More exciting though :D

Pete
    I'm similar, though ended my kitcar phase over a year ago now. Then it went to high-end hifi through to computers and now watches. I'm going mountaineering next year so expect ice axes etc to be the next phase! Tony

it's Car > Watch > Gadget for me.

gadgets debreciate too quickly for me

and yes, I know cars depreciate too...

Craftsman

Watches first and gadgets a long way second for me - like watches there is an anticipation in receiving them but unlike watches they nearly
    always fall short of my expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by NickD
    Watches first and gadgets a long way second for me - like watches there is an anticipation in receiving them but unlike watches they nearly
    always fall short of my expectation.
    You need a killer gadget then,

I still marvel at a well designed bit of kit.

Take my Humax PVR for instance, the menus were pretty good out of the box and it simply did what it puported to do quickly and efficiently. Feedback from users to Humax revealed some additional software suggestions, such as a x30 fastforward in between the previously available speeds of x16 and x64 and some others like autopadding of recordings

So in the next over-the-airwaves software update, Humax included these new features. Love it.

Gadgets - love 'em!

Had a couple of XDAs (Orbit 2 - bought by me and Serra - bought by work).

Palm III, Pam 105, Palm 505, Palm T|X (see any pattern here?).

PS3, home cinema, Lexus GS430 (I think that counts as a gadget!).

Innumerable computers (but it IS my job).

Scalextric - proper boys toy!

Some gadgety watches: Loads of quartz multifunction digitals in the past, Skyhawk, Seamaster Multifunction, etc.

Early colour mobile phone (Siemens)

Digital cameras

I'm scaring myself now - I've just thought how much I've spent over the years - Jesus wept!

Oh yes - the Palm Pre is released tomorrow - that'll be worth a look.

Cheers,

I can be a bit obsessive towards the latest must-have but money sometimes has to be spent on more practical things as much as i hate to admit it.

No good sitting with loads of man toys and no roof over my head, in my youth, not so long ago never thought anything of dropping £500 on a stone island jacket, now i baulk at paying £50 on a pair of jeans, how times and priorities change.

Materialistic?, yeh sometimes although i think if someone took everything away apart from your house and you got used to it then i dont think it would make your life miserable just less complicated.

Journeyman

My iPhone punched a big Apple-sized hole in my watch fund this summer, but I hadn't bought a gadget for ages and it is very cool (Damn you Apple!).

There are tons more things I want - New LED TV, netbook, replacement PC for photo editing and, of course, another watch - but with a new member of the family on the way the slush fund is probably going to be a little less slushy in the future :(

Journeyman

I go through phases of gadget buying:
    Watches, camera stuff, computer and other techie bits

Next plan to set up a home network at home so I can stream HD to my tv

I guess all the boys like toys and as we get older toys get dearer.
    I include watches as gadgets too. I think it's in men's genetics to indulge in mechanical things, big and small. :)

Bit of a gadget fiend as well. Well, anything new and shinny! (cars, watches, IT, pens, etc) :?

However thinking back ... I don't think I have bought a watch since Summer 2008 (or was it 2007?!) ! ... The past year to 18 months was wasted on buying mobile phones ... Bought about 4 or 5 of them! ... Just kept getting bored and buying a new one every few months.

Still spend the odd wedge on computer stuff. Mainly PC stuff ... But next year might jump on mac bandwagon.

Never really got into the whole Home Entertainment thing. Do watch TV, but as long as the sound is OK .... Not tinny ... Then am not too fussed.

Just think ... If I was frugal, I might be a lot closer to retiring now! :cry:

[But would I be happy? ... Ummm ... Probably not!] :drunken:

Craftsman

By serendiptous (or perhaps not) coincidence the cost of a new Sinn 103 St Sa is almost exactly the same as a Panasonic P42V10B Plasma + BD60EB Blu-Ray combo.

Given that I can only afford one or the other, to say I am torn is to understate by a wide margin! Mrs DMR has never witnessed such pathetic vacillation! :mrgreen:

Oh, to me watches are gadgets! That's partly why they appeal.

D.

Craftsman

Budgetting is my big issue when it comes to gadgets. I studiously set a budget then just ignore the budget to get the best possible and justify it of course - car and watch are both recent examples - ouch!

Morning

I am a total gadget nerd, I have loads of techie stuff around the place from a couple of nice Mac's, ipods and iphone through to a fantastic AV set-up. I also love music and have a small recording set-up. I'm currently looking at the Harmony 1100 as the next buy, control all of my AV kit although a little expensive for a remote! Watches are more a passion where as gadgets come and go as proven by the boxes in the loft!

Mat

Have a Harmony 1000 and absolutly hate it. No idea why, just cannot seem to get on with it. Now it's sits in the corner gathering dust. Like a lot of the other toys :(

My last gadget is Nokia E71 - perfect business phone.
    I've used to have Sony Ericssons since last century, but this Nokia is uber-cool :)

i've a thing for powerfull torches, they tend to eat into my watch fund.

A torch is a safety item in my book and you can't put a price on safety!

Master

so. exactly how many torches do you carry when walking home from the pub......watches should def tale priority over anything else....even the mortgage...

from reading this thread I realise I am not alone! so many of the comments describe my own experiences/obsessions exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Puller
    so. exactly how many torches do you carry when walking home from the pub......watches should def tale priority over anything else....even the mortgage...
    I opt for the good old maglite for expeditions home from the pub.

Maxa Beam is left at home so the girlfriend has the capability of finding me if the maglite ever fails!

Quote Originally Posted by ru55
    Budgetting is my big issue when it comes to gadgets. I studiously set a budget then just ignore the budget to get the best possible and justify it of course - car and watch are both recent examples - ouch!

Nice to know it's not just me. Difficult to resist spending that little bit extra to get the best. Trouble is it rapidly becomes a lot extra. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by 496magnum
    i've a thing for powerfull torches, they tend to eat into my watch fund.

A torch is a safety item in my book and you can't put a price on safety!
    :)
    :)

I feel safe when I know the right time (stylishly)

G-Shocks are about as close as I come to gadgets.

Grand Master

I have in the past been overwhelmed by gadgets, things that do things! But I have more recently been asking myself not what it can do but what do "I" want it to do and have discovered that basics are often best. Gadgets do tire quickly and I prefer the classic and long term pleasure from simplier things....like watches.
    RIAC

Getting old, eh? :P

I do like my toys, but spend way more or watches than other stuff although have bought a new camera & a longish lens lately. On the plus side I don't HAVE to have the latest mobile, ipod etc as longas what I have still does the job.
    A new PC is next on the hit list as my home one is pretty slow now.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I have to admit to being a bit of a gadget freak. I am trying to reform, but I do have my eye on an Apple Macbook Pro :?

Quote Originally Posted by Puller

I think I'll default next month and go for that Omega PO I've been after. Sod Alliance & Leicester :drunken:

To my mind the best thing about gadgets is the research and choosing, I rarely impulse buy stuff, what would I do with half my life!! So settling down to a decent LED TV arriving on the market.

Regards

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH
    To my mind the best thing about gadgets is the research and choosing, I rarely impulse buy stuff, what would I do with half my life!! So settling down to a decent LED TV arriving on the market.

Regards

Peter
    Half the fun of getting the gadget is the research. When I have made an impulse buy I have been caught out :lol: Thing is I have noticed my friends asking my advice buying the same as me as they know I will have done the research. Sad thing is few are into watches.