closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Date windows - WHY???

Re: Date windows - WHY???

my personal preference is for a watch without a date window, on some watches it just looks a lot cleaner, however on some pieces it works well.

not much point to my post!

Date windows? Not worth arguing about! :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    We're not arguing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    We're not arguing!
    Yes you are.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Blapto
    We're not arguing!
    Yes you are.
    An argument isn't simply two people disagreeing with each other.

Ummm ... yes it is. :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchillo
    Ummm ... yes it is. :twisted:
    No, it isn't.
    F.T.F.A.

Oh, I'm sorry, just one moment. Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wierdly a DAYtona doesn't have a date.................or if it did it wouldn't be a daytona, would it ? !

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1
    I forgot the bit where he told me to shove my opinion up my arse where it came from.
    LOL! Classic TZ-UK! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    And they say satire is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Now look, if you have such a fragile ego that you're capable of being offended by the assertion (jokey or otherwise) that you shouldn't be let out if you can't live without the date function on your watch, (a comment incidentally, that wasn't aimed directly at you or anyone else) then that's very odd. But it's not my doing. I can only assume that you've never BEEN out, (at least not in adult company) if you consider that even remotely offensive.

Given that you ARE capable of being offended by that, I'm sorry that you didn't realise the comment was meant to be light hearted. I'm maybe a few years older than you, and in the days before the internet, people didn't need smileys to discern meaning. They just sort of judged it from the context and the words used. You know, like reading a book or newspaper. Sorry if I've lost you there.

I may be wrong, but I don't think I've "pissed EVERYONE off". If I have, then I really must have passed into a parallel universe.
    Judging tone and intent on the internet is notoriously tricky. Your tone in the original comment, and particularly in the stuff quoted above, is coming across to me as being condescending and somewhat rude. I don't offend easily, but your original comment made me stop (I like date windows, by the way) and think it was ruder than it needed to be. Personally I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and hoped you were being light-hearted, which it seems you were, but I think you need to realise that your intent did not come across clearly.

The comments I've quoted above are just coming over as condescending and rather patronising. I am quite capable of reading a book or a newspaper and discerning tone and meaning (as is Orange Peel I rather suspect) and the meaning of what you're writing is coming over pretty plainly to me.
    I see. So lightheartedly (or otherwise) questioning the need to have a date function on your watch is 'rude', but calling someone an arrogant self opinionated dickhead isn't? To be fair to the tango bloke, I don't suppose you could misinterpret that could you? As for the later posts, well when someone has called you that, it tends to affect your future discourse. Wouldn't you agree?

P.S I forgot the bit where he told me to shove my opinion up my arse where it came from. Maybe I misjudged him on the book/reading thing. He's obviously been studying The Peter Ustinov Book Of Wit he got for christmas, quite intently.
    He just doesn't learn does he :shock:

Listen mate, you're a dick, end of... (as in end of a dick or knob end)

I will respond no more other than to say that if I were you (which thankfully I am not, I know this because I've just checked and I still have a penis and friends) I would just drop it, seriously.
    You almost apologise, then reverse back into insult.
    I doubt you are a very popular man and I pity you to be honest.

You offended people by your initial wording, which was not clearly well meant. Then you proceed to further adopt an agorrogant, smug and superior attitude.
    Having had this pointed out you persist in insulting us further.

You're a Tw*t hows that for clever wording and witty retort?

Now I really am done here, I will resist the temptation to reply further no matter what Prince Charming says.
    Sorry if I've offended anyone other than Captain popular.

Ta Ta.

The grape skinned, illiterate tango man. :wink:

I am a mess with numbers, without a date in a watch I am totally lost.
    still, my favourite watches are time only. so I am pretty much mental everytime I have to write a date and it does feel stupid saying "oh, what is it today the 12th?" and getting answers like " no, the 24th, actually..."

anyway, have a couple of watches with full calendar and when i look for the date i keep looking at the watch forever, it is mesmerising.

the best think is actually to have weekend/vacation watches, so when I wear them i know that I am not working (my job is not really 9to5 monday to friday and travel a lot so, it is confusing)

but, quite honestly, who cares?
    as long as my watch is beautiful, it does not even have to be telling the right time, hell sometimes I even set it with exact seconds, but minutes are some 5 minutes off and hour is, well, undefined.

I have with dates and without. It is frustrating not having the date on the watch. It seems like a natural place to look for it.

I find the date function on my watch invaluable - far quicker and more convenient than looking at my phone or a paper. As above, day funnctions or even month functions seem pointless to me.

Do what i do - write the date in biro on the back of your hand each morning.

Job done.

But what biro to use ? A bic, a mont Blanc, a Cross ?????? And what colour ???

lets have a debate :bounce:

Blog Entries

i already have problems remembering what date it is - and sometimes I find I am not even sure what day it is... i was asked recently when doing an authorisation check on a bank card what my age was and it took me about a minute to calculate it from my birth date - hell I hate getting old and senile!!

which is why I have one of these for my old age - the Annual Calender - time, day, date, month - I just have to remember what year it is - which can be a bit tricky on Jan 1st after a few whiskies.

Hope all is well in old blighty - I am hanging out on sandy beaches in Calif USA right now and its a high of 80F today with bright sunshine! Now where are my shades 8)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe
    Do what i do - write the date in biro on the back of your hand each morning.

Job done.

But what biro to use ? A bic, a mont Blanc, a Cross ?????? And what colour ???

lets have a debate :bounce:
    Might I recommend posting up a poll for this one, Steptoe? I'm fairly certain there haven't been any previous ones on this particular topic :wink:

Journeyman

Some of my watches have date windows, some don't. The problem is, when I've forgotten the date, I've also generally forgotten which watch I'm wearing, so I look on my wrist to check the date...and I'm wearing a watch that doesn't have the date on it. Makes me look stupid.

My girlfriend thinks it's hilarious when she asks me the date, I look at my wrist, and then tell her I don't know. She thinks that a £3k watch should really have the date on it for that price.....

Master

I like the date and I especially like the Panerai's with both date and cyclops :twisted: :mrgreen:

[quote=Orange Peel]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Dave E":2uc7pmd3
    Now look, if you have such a fragile ego that you're capable of being offended by the assertion (jokey or otherwise) that you shouldn't be let out if you can't live without the date function on your watch, (a comment incidentally, that wasn't aimed directly at you or anyone else) then that's very odd. But it's not my doing. I can only assume that you've never BEEN out, (at least not in adult company) if you consider that even remotely offensive.

Given that you ARE capable of being offended by that, I'm sorry that you didn't realise the comment was meant to be light hearted. I'm maybe a few years older than you, and in the days before the internet, people didn't need smileys to discern meaning. They just sort of judged it from the context and the words used. You know, like reading a book or newspaper. Sorry if I've lost you there.

I may be wrong, but I don't think I've "pissed EVERYONE off". If I have, then I really must have passed into a parallel universe.
    Judging tone and intent on the internet is notoriously tricky. Your tone in the original comment, and particularly in the stuff quoted above, is coming across to me as being condescending and somewhat rude. I don't offend easily, but your original comment made me stop (I like date windows, by the way) and think it was ruder than it needed to be. Personally I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and hoped you were being light-hearted, which it seems you were, but I think you need to realise that your intent did not come across clearly.

The comments I've quoted above are just coming over as condescending and rather patronising. I am quite capable of reading a book or a newspaper and discerning tone and meaning (as is Orange Peel I rather suspect) and the meaning of what you're writing is coming over pretty plainly to me.
    I see. So lightheartedly (or otherwise) questioning the need to have a date function on your watch is 'rude', but calling someone an arrogant self opinionated dickhead isn't? To be fair to the tango bloke, I don't suppose you could misinterpret that could you? As for the later posts, well when someone has called you that, it tends to affect your future discourse. Wouldn't you agree?

P.S I forgot the bit where he told me to shove my opinion up my arse where it came from. Maybe I misjudged him on the book/reading thing. He's obviously been studying The Peter Ustinov Book Of Wit he got for christmas, quite intently.
    He just doesn't learn does he :shock:

Listen mate, you're a dick, end of... (as in end of a dick or knob end)

I will respond no more other than to say that if I were you (which thankfully I am not, I know this because I've just checked and I still have a penis and friends) I would just drop it, seriously.
    You almost apologise, then reverse back into insult.
    I doubt you are a very popular man and I pity you to be honest.

You offended people by your initial wording, which was not clearly well meant. Then you proceed to further adopt an agorrogant, smug and superior attitude.
    Having had this pointed out you persist in insulting us further.

You're a Tw*t hows that for clever wording and witty retort?

Now I really am done here, I will resist the temptation to reply further no matter what Prince Charming says.
    Sorry if I've offended anyone other than Captain popular.

Ta Ta.

The grape skinned, illiterate tango man. :wink:[/quote:2uc7pmd3]

Give a man enough rope....

Journeyman

Personally I don't think I would buy a watch without a date window because I use it almost every day when out and about and need to know the date. Also I like my watches quite simple an uncluttered but I think watches can look too bland without a date window.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    I like the date and I especially like the Panerai's with both date and cyclops :twisted: :mrgreen:
    I also like a cyclops, which lots of people here seem to hate and want to chisel off :p

I dream about the day when I don't actually need the date window ! One good win on the Premium Bonds or some good fortune with a publisher - and I'll be there.

As an aside, has anyone gone the extra mile and picked up a MeisterSinger with the single hand ? Now that is a watch for someone who doesn't have to be anywhere anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    I dream about the day when I don't actually need the date window ! One good win on the Premium Bonds or some good fortune with a publisher - and I'll be there.
    Ironically, you might find that's when you need it most.

When I'm on my hols, I always take a watch with day and date. Stripped of anything approaching my usual routine, it's the only way I can ever remember what day it is, and when I'm supposed to come home. :lol:

Its put me off buying a speedy pro . Its just so usefull to have on your wrist

Quote Originally Posted by scubasky100
    Its put me off buying a speedy pro . Its just so usefull to have on your wrist
    The new coaxial Speedy Pro has one.

Craftsman

I'm another one that needs constant reminders of the date, and can forget within half an hour.

I put it down to long working days that sometimes start only a few hours after the last one has ended. Resultant is that I, like others, wouldn't wear a watch without a date either.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    The new coaxial Speedy Pro has one.
    That's very neat placement - I had to look for a second or two before I spotted the date window...

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce
    As an aside, has anyone gone the extra mile and picked up a MeisterSinger with the single hand ? Now that is a watch for someone who doesn't have to be anywhere anytime soon.

Oh yes.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman

I work permanent nightshift including weekends, and like the day and date on my beater as at times I don't know whether I'm drilled ,bored or countersunk !

Liked a date on my dressy watches, but since getting a PRS 14, I can see how the watch does look more balanced.

I reckon the 6 o'clock or 4.22 position is the least intrusive for the date.

Re: Apologies...

Sorry to yet again mention this as it seems to have calmed down now.

I would like to extend my sincere apologies to jdh1 for my gross and insulting comments to him.
    Irrelevent of his possible misjudgement of humour style and level I had no right to insult him as I did.
    Not only was this reaction completely undeserved for such a silly misunderstanding I was also beneath me and did me no credit.
    I would also like to apologise to the OP and the rest of you guys for allowing myself to act in such a manner.

Enough said, sorry for butting in.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel

I would like to extend my sincere apologies to jdh1 for my gross and insulting comments to him.
    Irrelevent of his possible misjudgement of humour style and level I had no right to insult him as I did.
    Not only was this reaction completely undeserved for such a silly misunderstanding I was also beneath me and did me no credit.
    I would also like to apologise to the OP and the rest of you guys for allowing myself to act in such a manner.

Neil.
    That's very gracious of you. It was certainly never my intention to offend you or anyone else.

Glad that's sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    Likewise, at 40 I must be going senile 'cause I still can't keep the date in my head if it's not on my watch. Don't need a day window but do need the date.
    Yes, I don't usually like day windows, but have become rather partial to those with day wheels in another language for some reason. I've a Fortis that can be set to English or German. I'd also like to find a Russian watch with cyrillic day too.

Nick

Neil.
    That's very gracious of you. It was certainly never my intention to offend you or anyone else.

Glad that's sorted.
    Get a room, you two... :roll:

:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve264

Neil.

Glad that's sorted.
    Get a room, you two... :roll:

:wink:
    What the **** do you mean by that????

No...let's not start that again! :lol:

:lol: