closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Two Rolex Subs, one complete set one head only.

Hybrid View

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but when I see an expensive modern watch being offered for sale with no box or papers, it always raises a question in the back of my mind whether it might have been nicked at some point. I haven't bought one, and think it might make me a bit uncomfortable doing so. I know there are databases and such but even so I'd always have a niggling thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I would agree with 15-20%, but nearly all that value is in the long expired original guarantee, rather than the box and peripherals.

In terms of secure title to the watch, you can search the art loss register for £5 if you have the serial number. It’s not perfect, but I have done that with a private Chrono24 sale.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By coincidence I’m selling a 16610 and am reading this with interest.

20 year old watches are seldom a complete set. Normal (non wis/collectors) people just didnt care about keeping stuff like we do, and something 20 years old can conceivably gone through several sets of hands/several house moves/been inherited perhaps. There’s plenty of the proverbial “triggers brooms” around (and papers have been known to be “re manufactured” shall we say…….

I’ve put my watch up for £7100, which I think is a fair price with good provenance (although missing the original punched papers…..) but I can’t imagine a loose watch being offered for 20%/£1500 less….
    Last edited by RJM25R; 25th January 2024 at 15:41.

Grand Master
    20% is about right for no papers and 10% if it has recent (2 years) service papers.

Box and silly tags deduct £150 max as that what a replacement would be
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

20 year old watches are seldom a complete set. Normal (non wis/collectors) people just didnt care about keeping stuff like we do, and something 20 years old can conceivably gone through several sets of hands/several house moves/been inherited perhaps. There’s plenty of the proverbial “triggers brooms” around (and papers have been known to be “re manufactured” shall we say…….

I’ve put my watch up for £7100, which I think is a fair price with good provenance (although missing the original punched papers…..) but I can’t imagine a loose watch being offered for 20%/£1500 less….
    Your watch pre covid would have been in the post now at substantially more.
    All you say about other non wis owners is spot on & something only people such as us read far too much into for the reasons as to why not a full set.

Great watch by the way at a very good price,but the very reason mine wont go on here for sale.

Glwts

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I can get your assumption.........But not always.

A friend who was left some money from his Mother bought 2 Rolex watches,One for his Wife & himself(16610).Bought brand new from the Rolex dealer many years ago.I said Id buy it years ago if He ever wanted to sell,obviously the sentimental reasons meant He never would.I saw the full set too.Sadly 18 months ago he died after a fall(drink related).
    But months before this He mentioned he had misplaced the papers!.

So it does and can happen.

So maybe not always assume the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

I wouldn't assume the worst, it'd just be a niggling doubt. Not sure it is even particularly rational, but it is a feeling I have.