closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fidget things

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'm always taking my ring off and fiddling with it (stop sniggering at the back!)
    You got me sniggering, but it's OK, I'm at the front as per usual ...

Question: what makes this (nice-looking and quality, it has to be said) Deadeye Coin better for fiddling with than say a 2p piece? Just a better shape (e.g. thicker, smooth)? I think I'd prefer the edges on the 2p. {I'm asking as I'm looking for an excuse to start investing in yet another, potentially pointless, TZ-fuelled hobby.}. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

Question: what makes this (nice-looking and quality, it has to be said) Deadeye Coin better for fiddling with than say a 2p piece? Just a better shape (e.g. thicker, smooth)? I think I'd prefer the edges on the 2p. {I'm asking as I'm looking for an excuse to start investing in yet another, potentially pointless, TZ-fuelled hobby.}. Thank you.
    You hear people use the word 'tactile, things that are smooth and nice to touch just feel nicer I'm the hand so you move it around and keep your fingers busy, that'd my take on it

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post

It's a lot heavier than a 2 pence, 42g compared to 7.12g so feels substantial in the hand. The concave profile is a perfect fit for your thumb to push in to and rub circles, figure 8s, back and fore, left and right.

It's just soooo smooth, think of it as a worry stone. The lack of weight, pattern and sharp edge profile of a normal coin are not what I was after.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Very nice!! I've been tempted several time, by that very one! It's has the same dimensions as my round one.

Micarta is very tough stuff, although I keep my worry stones in the house where I usually am. I have dropped the round one onto my wooden floor and there wasn't a mark on it. I'd say you'd probably be okay with it, depending on what else is in your pocket. Keys and coins might be a bit of an ask.

EDIT: I just did a quick Google and found a knife site comparing Micarta with G10:

"Is micarta a strong material?

Micarta has been called “The Steel of the Plastic Industry”, so yes, micarta is a strong material. Because micarta is soaked and baked in a resin, it creates the same hard, almost plastic material that G-10 is. Compared to many other knife materials, micarta is a very strong handle material. But, because the different base materials aren’t woven like the fiberglass can be, micarta loses out on that aspect of the strength.

Differences: Once again, it really comes down to the base material used. Because fiberglass can be woven, it creates a stronger, more durable material. The base materials of micarta are softer materials and can be scratched if not treated properly; however, when it is treated correctly, it is extremely hard to scratch, and is almost as scratch resistant as G-10. Determining which one of is stronger is a very close competition, but G-10 pulls out as barely stronger."

EDIT 2: https://www.bladehq.com/blog/what-is...-knife-handle/ has very interesting info on micarta.
    Been reading the same articles lol, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    I'm always taking my ring off and fiddling with it (stop sniggering at the back!)

After reading the thread I started looking for something else metalic I could fidget/fiddle with. I liked the idea of some kind of coin and came across this Deadeye Contact Coin made by AROUNDSQUARE and sold by JP Games.

I went for the stainless steel version and I'm really pleased with it. It's well finished, a very pleasing weight and super smooth to the touch. Easy to carry anywhere as it fits in my jeans/trouser coin pocket and hopefully won't get too many marks on it in there either.
    That does look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Have PM'ed , I'll take them both and give them a whirl, never tried the haptics
    Haptics are things I love, but cant use in the evening next to my wife for risk of injury; even the dice one with different buttons / things on each side have me venturing to the haptic ones, and doing her head in!

Magnetic and metal vs plastic, I'd be in A&E within a few minutes!