closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Love the fact you have such high standards, Tony, well played!

Been looking at the desk top you linked and they do look nice - is the mouse smooth enough without a mat, as can’t see one in your pics.

Couple of Luddite questions as I’m dangerous with DIY.

Do the legs just screw in with a few small screw in each corner?
    Did you drill pilot holes?p or just screw them in?
    Cable management, did you use their tray & screw it in (pilots too)?
    Doesn’t look like you have a cable management hole, correct?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Okay...

Desk mat - I have this one (large size) arriving in a couple of days. The mouse works perfectly without it but the desk itself is a bit of a dust magnet as is.

Leg fixings - depends entirely on your existing legs. Mine were fixed to the original desktop using those steel plugs that you find in pre-built furniture - I had to get them out and then fit them into the underside of the new desktop before I could screw the legs on, but yours may well be simple screws. (Thinking about it, I could actually have just used simple screws with washers, which would have made life a lot easier!)

Pilot holes - yes, I drilled pilot holes first and then used a wireless screwdriver. Screwing by hand would have been challenging.

Cable management - I've already fitted a cable tray, but still need to stick a multiple plug adapter to the underside of the desk with double-sided adhesive before addressing cable management. Once done, though, I'll just have a single power cable visibly going to the desk and everything else will plug straight into the power adapter with the leads sitting inside the cable tray.

Just to add, remember that I'm still recovering from major surgery, and am far from fully healed at the moment. Consequently I'm having to take things nice and slowly, and for some tasks need my son here to help me.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd March 2024 at 20:37.

Great thread folks in the time honoured TZUK tradition. I work hybrid for a large Life Science company and my role encompasses EHS with areas such as display screen and home workstation setup for remote workers. Golden rules for this include the top of monitor to be level with your eyes (also good with webcam), adjustable seats are great - ideal height being your forearms should be parallel with ground when using keyboard and mouse, padded or gel wrist supports are also good if you do prolonged typing and are prone to carpal tunnel or RSI. My companies fairly enlightened in that it supplies things like adjustable office chairs and also standing desks to remote workers.

Having worked initially during lockdown from my kitchen table using boxes and books to attain optimum setup, I have now evolved to heading to sofa with footstool for longer calls using a padded laptop cushion and elevated stand similar to this

https://amzn.eu/d/fkB83SJ

which enables webcam use (with judicious choice of corporate Teams background). Well jealous of our Eames chair owning member though…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Okay...

Desk mat - I have this one (large size) arriving in a couple of days. The mouse works perfectly without it but the desk itself is a bit of a dust magnet as is.

Leg fixings - depends entirely on your existing legs. Mine were fixed to the original desktop using those steel plugs that you find in pre-built furniture - I had to get them out and then fit them into the underside of the new desktop before I could screw the legs on, but yours may well be simple screws. (Thinking about it, I could actually have just used simple screws with washers, which would have made life a lot easier!)

Pilot holes - yes, I drilled pilot holes first and then used a wireless screwdriver. Screwing by hand would have been challenging.

Cable management - I've already fitted a cable tray, but still need to stick a multiple plug adapter to the underside of the desk with double-sided adhesive before addressing cable management. Once done, though, I'll just have a single power cable visibly going to the desk and everything else will plug straight into the power adapter with the leads sitting inside the cable tray.

Just to add, remember that I'm still recovering from major surgery, and am far from fully healed at the moment. Consequently I'm having to take things nice and slowly, and for some tasks need my son here to help me.
    Missed this reply, Tony, thank you.

That desk mat is lovely, puts mine to shame & may have to have a look at another.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Missed this reply, Tony, thank you.

That desk mat is lovely, puts mine to shame & may have to have a look at another.

Best one out there by some margin, IMO.