closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Air Source Heat Pumps

Hybrid View

Air Source Heat Pumps

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    In fairness, he knows this and was doing the calculations and only recommending a heat pump install if the associated improvements and installation was adhered to.

I think you two and him are in complete agreement.
    I definitely wasn’t having a go at your brother. Sounds like a his customers won’t or don’t want to listen to his advice.

Like putting a small gas boiler in a very large house.

The trouble is unless the installers are very well qualified to undertake the heat loss calculations, the risk of undersizing is always present, and probably the biggest selection and installation issue. It feels like the industry is not fully established and still working the fundamentals out when it comes to older, draughty homes.

Gas boilers have been installed for decades, have good rules of thumb for radiator requirements, and unlike ASHP are very forgiving as they run a much hotter temperatures.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I definitely wasn’t having a go at your brother. Sounds like a his customers won’t or don’t want to listen to his advice.

Like putting a small gas boiler in a very large house.

The trouble is unless the installers are very well qualified to undertake the heat loss calculations, the risk of undersizing is always present, and probably the biggest selection and installation issue.

Gas boilers have been installed for decades, have good rules of thumb for radiator requirements, and unlike ASHP are very forgiving as they run a much hotter temperatures.
    Yes, absolutely. The people who’ve had them fitted have seen that they work a lot of the time, but as you say as soon as the weather/temps overwhelm the capacity of the install (as they haven’t done the associated insulation improvements or changed the radiators to ones more suited to the lower water temps) then they call him to complain the house isn’t warm enough, and it’s costing a fortune in electricity.

I’d love one, but the 150 year old house I live in would require a lot of expensive work for it to take the place of the oil boiler we have. It is getting to the end of its life though, so need to make some decisions in the next couple of years.