Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I guess what we (and many others) are not going to agree on is what constitutes someone who can sing... To me, it's not just hitting this or that note, it's the whole way you convey and deliver a song.

M
Then that just comes down to a subjective decision of whether you like the delivery or not. My point was that Mariah Carey can sing well technically, you don't like her 'warbling that is an affectation', fair enough -but many millions of her fans do, neither your opinion nor theirs alters whether she can sing or not, and I didn't think this thread was 'Singers whose delivery you don't like'.

I don't like Opera, I can't listen to it for more than 5 minutes, although Lord knows I've tried; I don't like the style of music or indeed anything about it, a soprano is like fingernails on a blackboard for me and I'll take Paloma Faith or Elkie Brooks or Gladys Knight or Stevie Nicks or Norah Jones over Kiri Te Kanawa any day of the week, but it doesn't mean the latter can't sing.

I would consider myself a huge fan of Eric Clapton - over the last 45 years I've bought dozens of LPs, CDs, DVDs and been to many concerts - but that is for his obvious musical skills, he is not a bad lyricist and I don't mind his delivery but he cannot sing, he has been doing his best since his first attempts on Crossroads, but the bloke simply cannot sing.

The Youtube film Eddie posted shows that, although not perfect, Peter Andre can sing a bit and Jordan simply cannot. This is neither technical knowledge nor a matter of opinion, it is just blatantly obvious, for me at least.